What else do i gotta Cop???

nospe

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Check me out

look I copped a Evolution MK-249C2
got that hooked up via USB
so right now im jus rollin wit FL 3.65 and a midi controller/keyboard and some KOSS headphones and for editing and sampling Im using audacity (cool lil freeware prg. suthin like cool edit)
yeah so my next purchase might be some sound monitors and a mixer do I need a pre-amp or summin like dat??
yo i also gota Technics sl 5300 i copped at a yardsale for like $3 (but it needs a head) works perfectly all i need it for is sampling!
but what equitment do you guys suggest I get next???

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I don't know about a mixer unless you have a bunch of gear to run through it. It seems like you're sticking with software, so why not get Cool Edit?

nospe

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yeah I've been looking for a free FULL D-load of cool edit
but no luck!
so I'll probolly have to cop dat!
yo you guys should check out audacity its free totally and works as good as cool edit!
yo, Get this today I've been recording vocals by pluggin' a pair of old head-phones into my mic jack,
and wrappin' a towel around it and keepin' like an inch or two from it
sounds alright! (c'mon man I'm ghetto! but I do what i can half da dudes round here don't even have a comp. so i dont speak bout my equptment or I'll get robbed!)

L.A. life...........

M

MIKELABZ

it wouldnt hert to save up for a full fledged copy of FL 4.5

L-Rock

nospe

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yo last night I got cool edit pro 2.0 that shit bombay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got it 4 free Ima tryta get Fl 4.5 free too!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Imma tell ya, anyone that knows me on here knows about about my complete hardware setup i had to sell....I am swearing by Fruity Loops, I have reason, sonar & Cubase but I invested in the Producer edition of Fruity and theres gonna be some people that might get pissed off......none of those can touch Fruity loops for making beats and being able make them very fast and professional sounding.......oh and I use all of the nice mixers and compressors but I run my output through a mixer, compressor and a couple of other analog pieces and record the final mix.

fastlance

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
There is nothing wrong with swearing by fruityloops, all it is is another sampler sequencer, the only people that hate on it are idiots with out lack of music production knolodge, but i would love to hear a beat that you process out of fruityloops.

M

MIKELABZ

FL teaches me something new everytime i use it. is that hard to imagine? ive been producing since 98.

L-Rock

Medicine Man

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I would download a few free programs like cool edit or acid from kaza.com. Then download some plug-ins and soft synths. Soft synths are great, I've pretty much stoped using Reason for synth sounds, but Reason is still a amazing program. Technically this is illegal, but its great for testing out which sofware works best for you, then you can decide what stuff you like and go out and buy it, just remember to erase all copys of the downloaded software! But hardware wise I would get some great self powered monitors(speakers) and a small mixer console for a few hundred bucks.

H

Haterade

Hey dude- this is what you need:

If you're going to be sampling, you need a RIAA pre-amp in front of your computer. (Special type of RCA inputs- a line in jack on your soundcard will not work!) So that means you either need a DJ mixer or you can buy a Rolls mini RIAA pre for like $40. (Cheaper and cleaner sounding than any Stanton mixer, and the Vestax's (except the PMC05 and 07))

Second, you definitely need a better soundcard. If money is hurtin', get a Soundblaster Live, they have their own built in RAM for sampling, and you get the Vienna software for creating soundfonts. (Basically, a way to make your own multi-samples) If you got some cash to spend, get something with a dedicated breakout box, and 1/4" inputs. (Less noise, and usually it's own proprietary chips for handling data.)

Then comes monitors. If you can't afford the good stuff, get a good HIFI deck @ a pawn shop, and then at least a dual 10 band eq. There's a free RTA program availible from Allen & Heath (the company that makes mixers) that you can use to set the EQ curve for your room. If you have some cash, do yourself a favor and get the Mackie HR824's, and nothing else! (Except maybe the 624's- don't waste cash on Events and Alesis monitors!)

Now when buying a mic, there's a lot of stuff you'll need to get good tone, but don't even think of your recordings sounding good with that Soundblaster or going into the mic input on your computer soundcard. It sounds like shit. A good cheap mic to get is a Rode NT1, or AKG C2000b. They sound a lot fuller than Oktava's (russian pieces of shit) and won't break the bank. Also, you'll need a phantom power unit (unless your interface card already has one) and a decent pre-amp for the mic. (Unless your interface has a GOOD one, and most don't.)

You don't really need a mixer if you're using just software synths, but the instant you get some hardware or mulitple mics, look into getting something quality. If you're serious about building a studio, PM me and I can give some pointers on where you should start- I used to build them for the "largest music retailer on the planet"...

-Peace,
Haterade

members online

No members online now.