What else do i need to have a good home recording set-up?

ill o.g.
alright, so i have FL studio 9 and i just got an axiom 49 MIDI controller for producing my music. since i've been rapping for a few years and just got into making beats me and my dude are wanting to come out with a mixtape just to kind of see how people are feeling our sound. what else do i need to record a decent track with vocals and everything?

i've been told at guitar center that i should get a good set of studio monitors for my computer which the ones the guy showed me were $300 for the pair plus a subwoofer if i wanted to hear the low bass and get a full range

i was also told i should get a usb interface for plugging in the mic and using that for the speakers.

and obviously i need a mic.

i just dropped $250 on this keyboard and i still need pro tools and the equipment.

any suggestions on some good products at reasonable prices to get my place set-up for some good sounding recordings?

and if you wanna hear some of the tracks i've produced by all means here's my soundclick page: www.soundclick.com/jmillermuzik

thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out with this. i don't know much about hardware and recording. i just know about music. i know there's tons of research out there but my problem is there's so many different products out there i don't know where to start and i don't have 3 hours to spend at guitar center pickin the brains of the audio dude that works there.

alright, so i have FL studio 9 and i just got an axiom 49 MIDI controller for producing my music. since i've been rapping for a few years and just got into making beats me and my dude are wanting to come out with a mixtape just to kind of see how people are feeling our sound. what else do i need to record a decent track with vocals and everything?

i've been told at guitar center that i should get a good set of studio monitors for my computer which the ones the guy showed me were $300 for the pair plus a subwoofer if i wanted to hear the low bass and get a full range

i was also told i should get a usb interface for plugging in the mic and using that for the speakers.

and obviously i need a mic.

i just dropped $250 on this keyboard and i still need pro tools and the equipment.

any suggestions on some good products at reasonable prices to get my place set-up for some good sounding recordings?

and if you wanna hear some of the tracks i've produced by all means here's my soundclick page: www.soundclick.com/jmillermuzik

thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out with this. i don't know much about hardware and recording. i just know about music. i know there's tons of research out there but my problem is there's so many different products out there i don't know where to start and i don't have 3 hours to spend at guitar center pickin the brains of the audio dude that works there.

what I have bolded is good advice. I wouldnt worry too much about pro tools right now, as thats very expensive and you can get software for much less which does the same thing. When recording just make sure there is no peaks or distorion at any point, fixing a bad recording is a lot of hard work and isnt always possible. A small booth with carpeted walls would be good to record in as you want the recording as dry as possible, you can add reverb later. Shure make some decent mics, but there are plenty people here that can give good advice on mics and pre amps as well as good monitors.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I agree with 2good but if you need an audio interface anyway get an mbox mini
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBox2Mini/
you can get in for $300

If you call Sweetwater to order mention my name (chris scheides) and they may give you a deal.

That way you can get in to Pro tools with an interface for not a ton.

That being said I DONT think pro tools is the end all be all but you do need to record and if you do you may as well learn Pro tools.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You do realize its possible to record in FL right?

tbh, I don't recommend it BUT, you CAN do it. I still stand by Podium all day. Pretty much any multitrack program with recording should do you good. Dont let anyone tell you that you NEED Pro Tools, tho you may like it so try it. I myself dont really like Pro Tools, but its workable and I can do what I need to do in it (goes for any program, really). Keep in mind if you get an MBox, you arent locked into PT, so you MIGHT be better off getting one of those or a compatible M-Audio interface (what I have and recommend).

Studio monitors ARE important. But I would say to focus on getting your recording equipment for right now. Good audio interface (I have the Fast Track Pro, btw), good mic, and program to record and mix in. (like I said, you CAN use FL Studio, but not the best option IMO)

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"Keep in mind if you get an MBox, you arent locked into PT, so you MIGHT be better off getting one of those or a compatible M-Audio interface (what I have and recommend)."

That will make it more expensive because the maudio interface does not come with PT. The Mbox can work with reason, cubase, logic whatever.

No you dont NEED pro tools for sure.

But if you want to actually make money in this industry you DO need to know how to use it. It would be like a graphic designer not knowing how to use Photoshop.

Use what you like, that works with your brain, but you sure better be able to walk in to a studio and know how to push record on pro tools.

"Keep in mind if you get an MBox, you arent locked into PT, so you MIGHT be better off getting one of those or a compatible M-Audio interface (what I have and recommend)."

That will make it more expensive because the maudio interface does not come with PT. The Mbox can work with reason, cubase, logic whatever.

No you dont NEED pro tools for sure.

But if you want to actually make money in this industry you DO need to know how to use it. It would be like a graphic designer not knowing how to use Photoshop.

Use what you like, that works with your brain, but you sure better be able to walk in to a studio and know how to push record on pro tools.

My M-Audio Audiophile 192 came with pro tools lite.

I agree with what you are saying about pro tools, you do need to know how to use it as its industry standard, but I think its still too early days to be worrying about that. Until he gets to a high standard he doesnt really need to worry about making a career out of it.
Unless he wants it to be a very expensive hobby, its expensive enough already.

ill o.g.
thanks a lot for the input.

i think if i get pro tools now, even if i don't make it as an artist or producer i could at least use the knowledge to get my foot into the door somewhere.

i'm just not sure where i can save some money.

producing is extremely hard for me to mix without good monitors because my computer speakers are horrible and doesn't get any range from highs to lows at all. any suggestions on some decent studio monitors that are affordable?

what about a mic? i've heard a condensor mic would be best, just not sure where to start.

Name one top 40 producer that does not work in pro tools?

BTW I don't work in it 99% of the time, but I do know it inside and out and i am always sending PT sessions around.

lol, I used pro tools for a while but hate the workflow, yes its good at what it does, BUT, sometimes you have to keep it real, how many of us are going to be top 40 producers?

Lots of people still use that Mac software, Logic.
When Im at the right stage career wise then I will worry about more high end software and hardware. This shit is still a hobby for me at the moment, at least until its paying the bills, thats when I will worry about that stuff.
I can get a good mixdown in reason alone, and then finalise the mastering in Soundforge.
At the moment pro tools is just redundant to my workflow, I can achieve similar results in acid pro a lot quicker. Fuck industry standard, if industry heads decide they want a PT session from me I will make them, until then Ill stay doing it the way I am.
Besides I dont use any of the PT plugins in pro tools, I just use TrackPlug 5, which is a 3rd party plug in, and Waves.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I gotta throw my 2 cents in this...I agree with both of you, there are a ton of questions you have to ask yourself. For example, do you plan on making a career out of this? If so, PT would be good to have...not a must but good to have.

Do you plan on just having fun with this music ish (like myself) and you're not really interested in making a career out of this? If so, PT is not needed...but it's still good to have. (btw, I have PT and it's only good for vocals in my opinion BUT digidesign/AVID are constantly making advancements and thats not a fair statement...lol)) but still, you dont really need it.

My suggestion, if you need the interface, go ahead and get the interface and PT together and be done with it. BUT, bottomline, the software is only as good as the operators knowledge of it. Nothing else matters.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if you are gonna get into recording get the shit now instead of later...This is what you MUST have if you want to make something that will hold someones attention

Monitors
Condenser Mic
PRE AMP
PRE AMP
PRE AMP....even if its a $100 joint with one input/output
Firewire Interface if your are going to do 24bit recording (the only reason you shouldnt record in 24bit is if your machine cannot handle it)
GOOD cables
Reflection Filter for your Mic ( this guy is THE SHIT: http://www.audiolines.com/Accessories-789/Other-Accessories/SE-Reflection-Filter )
And definatly buy Pro Tools, Sonar, or Cubase if you have a PC...Logic if your on MAC....

Before you DO any of this though, do some work on someone else rig and see if you like recording, try all the different programs out and see which one works best for YOU...They all have different strengths and weaknesses.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
Name one top 40 producer that does not work in pro tools?

BTW I don't work in it 99% of the time, but I do know it inside and out and i am always sending PT sessions around.

are you serious?

are you claiming that at any given time (lets just say this year), all top 40* producers/beatmakers are making their music in only pro tools? really? we're not talking about a situation where the music is eventually tracked or mixed, we're talking about creation. how about indie (true indies)?

again, you don't need to have pt to make or sell your creation/track/song. period. unless your renting the studio room of a medium to large studio that has pt and forgo the engineer and/or asst. engineer, you don't need to know pt (but the basics of recording, mixing, ad the daw being used is a plus).

* wait, why is the top 40 even relevant? how is that even representative of all the music being made and sold? it doesn't even represent the various genres or the international market.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ALOT of sound houses in Miami are doing more work in Logic...PT is popular cause it was the first to get into the SAE's and Full Sails of the country. I guarantee you though if you walk into ANY "downtown" type studio the engineer will have NO problem working with your logic session....as far as cubase, sonar, nuendo, maybe not so much.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
7thangel

ha ha, its all good. I am not a PT fan but it is everywhere. It is probably the only tool that you MUST know. Also yes many top 40 producers produce in Pro tools. I can think of Will I am and, Cut chemist both work in Pro tools, as does Just Blaze he uses Pro tools and battery. It can do a really good job of it with all the MPC templates and you can even get an MPC click in there.

As you know I mainly work in Reason/Record/Logic/Live and now mashince. But if I record a band it is almost always Pro tools.

Atom_Crewz

ill o.g.
Protools

"It is probably the only tool that you MUST know"
Actually, what you really need to know is how to import and export your projects into fixed length raw tracks that can be laid out and mixed on any big console system regardless of software. Protools pretends it has a monopoly on sessions, but only does if you are a non-engineer with very few technical skills. It's midi function is a cruel joke.

I saw a comment on the previous page that you only need protools if you are an engineer. That is false. Engineering generally comes before tracking, it's the techniques used to capture and manage signal flow(continuity). ie mic placement and selection and signal chaining, quality control, etc. Protools is just a production environment, a visual interface for your hardware. It is in Avid's interest to try and make it more than that. It was only the industry 'standard' because it was a pioneer early on. I'm a professional engineer and I avoid PT as much as possible, I only find it stable on legacy systems in big studios.
-Several years ago at Tantrum studios, run by Sjoerd Koppert, I watched his embarassment as PT repeatedly hung and had to be rebooted. That's a THX certified mastering house. lol. This is why I hate PT.

PT would still be viable for home/hybrid setups if it wasn't so buggy when used with anything that doesn't have the protools brand on it.
I contend that it is a self perpetuated marketing tool more than a production tool at this point. The reason Avid bought up M-Audio is bc pci based MAudio hardware was crushing PT/Digi with transparency, accuracy, environmental intercompatibilty and price point. Then shock shock, we get the "M-Powered" trash.
In short, Avid isn't on our team, they are just a company that specializes in managing monopolies in AV production at our expense.

AtomicBeats

ill o.g.
He prob talks bout mixing...
90% of "popular" music is done on FL aynway.
And whats the difference between working on Cubase and ProTools?
Almoast the same work flow (for me)

Oh and bout mic... I would recommend u AT3035 condenser. Or better, but u can't go wrong with audio thehnica mics (30 or 40 series. 20 not so musch)

members online