What exactly can radio station do for you??

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
I jus finished my sample cd project...thats where im make alot of beats (17 to be exact) and im now goin around to different record labels givin them the sample cd. i had thought about bringin a couple radio stations some copies of the cd alos, but then im started thinkin...exactly what can they do for me??? im not sayin they cant be of any help im just wonderin (and hopin yall can help me out)...why would i bring them a copy of my sample cd with my beats on it...would they actually let people know about me.( not commercially over the radio, but just people stoppin thru the station)? I dont know...any answers?

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I don't think they would dude.Just like everyone says,...the music biz is shady.They probably would take it and,never listen to it,...shit,... who knows,may just throw it away.

But,that's how it is.Only way u probably could be known by radio is if u stay going over there bothering them.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
J-malice:

A radio station can do a lot for you, since contacts can be made through individuals there that may be fruitful. Usually, there are some good contacts in upper management (like programme directors, music directors), provided that you approach them in the right way, and play the game with the people at the station the right way, which means your success or failure will not be an instantaneous thing.

In order for me to directly answer this question, I need you to clarify one point:

You are trying to have somebody at a station get interested in a "sample CD" of your beats, NOT a CD of finished songs with MC's and singers that may be ready for immediate airplay?

mod1:

Yes, the music biz is shady, but so are many other forms of business. The reason the music biz gets such a bad rap is because the people that tend to get screwed are very famous and have instant access to media. Also, a lot of people are interested in entertainment because many people want to be like the stars on TV/CDs or live vicariously through them. So their stories of "injustice" will be heard more. Thus, the biz is in the spotlight more than, say, the software industry- which, from what I hear, might be more ruthless than the music business.

Sincerely,
God

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
Originally posted by God

In order for me to directly answer this question, I need you to clarify one point:

You are trying to have somebody at a station get interested in a "sample CD" of your beats, NOT a CD of finished songs with MC's and singers that may be ready for immediate airplay?

right now i jus want to give them th sample cd of my beats, ( i was also wondering why I would do this, as in what could come of it, or what would a radio station do with a sample cd of beats)

but on the sample cd i have a track of my first single. i rap too, but my rap has like a dancehall influence.

thinkin about what youve already said, im thinkin that if i can at least familiarize my face with them at the stations, then itd be that much easier for me to get some airplay when im ready. as in finished with my songs

but i am still interested in what you would say if i had said that i wanted to bring them a finished cd of singers (me) ready for immediate airplay. (or eventual airplay lol)

i just uploaded the song which is my first single that i am gonna try and get some airplay so you can have an idea of the type of material im gonna present to them. its called shoot dem up (party song, like alot of my stuff is) i still have to do the third verse and the intro, but i chose it for my first single to show ppl my versatility, and rhymin ability, and jus that i can put out good stuff (alot of ppl think atleast) my bad for all this longs stuff, jus tryna let you know where im comin from.

P.S. im gonna take it down after you reply, thanx man

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear J-malice:

1. I don't think it would be in either of our best interests for me to review your song. The best advice I can give you is that if the first 15 seconds of a song don't grasp a person in radio or a record company, your song will not fare well in test groups. A lot of people forget that the chorus is usually the strongest part of a song, and those should go first in radio edits (and the first verse thereafter), because choruses grasp a listener's attention more quickly than the first verse. Think of recent rap song structures, like on 50 Cent's album, many begin with a chorus for this reason. At least the ones solicited for promotion to radio.

Also, make sure you have the whole song complete, even with third verse, before any solicitation. Somebody might think you're not "serious" because you can't finish a song, but you're soliciting it? Have everything ironed out before anybody worth a pence listens to it. I'm not trying to demean you, just trying to tell you some words of wisdom.

2. "Industry" people are always aware of their position, and what people want from them once their ("industry" people's) covers are blown. Many people want to solicit their or their brother's or sister's or cousin's demo, that it becomes such a burden that "industry" people skirt away from that. So-

A thing I like to say is that in the recording industry, until your CD is in stores, nothing's a sure thing. Many artists get shelved before they release their first CD, even after they got their supposedly "coveted" recording contract. It's not a sure thing until you start receiving a royalty check, or, in your case, are being paid for your beatmaking.

That's why when you approach people (like in radio), at least appear to be genuine and, like you said, become a familiar figure, make acquaintances with them. Don't immediately pull out a beat CD and say "what can you do for me? Can you help me out?" A little more sophistication in your approach would help. Be cool with them, people can judge when someone is fake or not, or wants something. You could be taken for a ride from the people you think may help you.

What if you came to a person like a music director, or an AR man, and before he even listened to your CD, he said:

"Buy me lunch and we'll talk about this?"

That's a simple thing people do. Try to have realistic expectations about what a person can and can't do for you. And as you try to "infiltrate" a radio station to learn who's who, don't let the proverbial cat out of the bag. Remember, when you want somebody listening to your song or CD, you want them to be on good terms with you and in a situation that is very advantageous for your that you've set up for yourself.

Remember the higher position a person has at a station or at a record company, the more sophisticated they are in the ways of saying shite. Don't believe what you hear, and remember "backstabbing" is an industry standard! It's always a beneficial thing for somebody, but is it for you. :) (personally, i thrive on that whole game, it's like playing a good game of chess!)

Sincerely,
God

mrjermaine

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Also, consider doing a promo for the radio station. I know they have unknowns doing promo's at times.

members online