What Exactly Is "The Rap Game"?

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
You've heard Tupac say "the Game is to be sold, not told" . Snoop said it. Rappers talk about the "Game" often. I've been thinking about this for a while. Is it a hustle? A philosophy? Another word for the industry? Please enlighten me. Is it anything more than selling records?

I have ideas, but have gotten close enough to find out.

Thanks,

Ctrl

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
I have always seen it as the industry....the actual "game" part of it is i think is gettin as much money out of it as possible....i wanna go more into it,but i just gotten extremley lazy and i dont feel like typing my whole theory on it

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
I would say it's the hustle behind the philosophy of how to make money using rap. How to be capitalistic about it and stay on top by any means neccessary, basically superficial things. One of the things they say is women buy more records than men, so have some cuts for the ladies- stuff like that. 2 things are for sure 1. the game is always dirty, and 2 no rules are concrete, they can slip from under your feet at any given time.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
The Game hmmmmm.....ever played craps, slots, blackjack or poker? or gambled......thats the game.....sometimes it can look like you are winning but then at any given time you might lose your shirt ...do you know how many people sacrifice their time and effort and how many usually never get anything but some self satisfaction....???? a lot and for what?...hmmmmmm well let me start off by telling you I have been ridiculed about being into production for X amount of years and why haven't I done anything., but because of that does that make my advice invalid...i truly dont think so because imma wise and educated nicca.....I laugh that off because the reality is...there are thousands of producers and artists thats been in the game for years...not 1 or 2 or 3 or even 4....still looking for that break......do you know how many probably ALMOST had deals and something happened at the last minute?....Do you know how many producer produced hits and no one ever knew who they were???? or had some other producer taking credit for their work and they received a small sum of money, MANY.........this GAME speaks nothing about one's own knowledge and skills, beats or singing or songwriting skillz....but it demonstrates the realities of what this is all about, relationships, timing and luck......my friend G and business partner has been in the Game....and is in the Game now and has produced Platinum joints.....can he get me in??? maybe, but I dont count on it......The Game is what it is....it is a gamble.....do you know how many people almost got the big break....LOTS......do you know what it means to sign your life away???? well dont let what you see on TV fool you, many claim connections.......few have them....many make promises few follow through......There are sooooo many people that are in line to get a piece of you and your talent...these are the industry executives and people you never see.....everyone in line all the way down to the A&R usually is on some kind of commission or salary and fueled by bonuses, along with the WHO YOU KNOWisms, .....they look at the producers and artists as commodities to be bought and sold.....like slaves almost, they look to get the most in a financial sense out them for their own gain, when someone has to make a deal and come up with something like a hot Artist or Hit record and their job is on the line, many things may happen to trick and deceive the unfortunate......they use trickery in its highest order....$$$$$$dollar signs$$$$$....videos, rented expensive cars and homes.....all PROPS and fraudulent reprentations to BOOST record sales....you too can be rich and famous, have a chain and all of these women...LOL...and more.....most artists are not the most educated, and even if they are they will listen to anything when they see a contract with figures on it......they look at the figures and thats as far and they sign and sell their soul.....so you see the hip hop Game is real and peoples livlihoods are at stake....thats real and sometimes when peoples livlihoods are caught up and money is involved very bad things happen.....Just look at the situation with The Game right now......that situation could easily turn into someone being offed..........

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
I think its another "Rap Cliche" like,,,keepin it real,,,somethin to sound more "street". Like the "Crack Game". Many of these cats comein with no street cred and just bout do everything to prove otherwise,,,,,studio gangstas. lol, who knows, and who cares.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
I think the Rap game is just the Game you play in the Industry with all the shady things that go on within it you gotta play your cards wisely and make sure you dont get taken advantage of

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
CampO said:
I think the Rap game is just the Game you play in the Industry with all the shady things that go on within it you gotta play your cards wisely and make sure you dont get taken advantage of

thats basicly it... its jus realize its a chess game and making the right moves depends on how much you gain...

sun tzu art of war... is the "truth" you apply that to anything you winning wat eva game you in

m.s

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
pretty much like stress implied.. its another term for those who think its a game.. the good thing is that they usually put out garbage ass music.. like nas said "sometimes the rap game reminds of the crack game".... u pretty much stabbing a cat to make u seem more of a killer.. saying his crack is cut more dont fuck with his shit my shit is uncut.. my weed is pure raw... he shit is weak,.. its all ego shit.. so its made a game.. really a mind game over the not street educated.. i can go on for dayz son!!

O

open mind

some say its a game some say its business. I SAY FUCK THE GAME FUCK THE BUZINEZZ FO ME THIS IS LOVE N PASSION FOR MUZIC.WHO CARES ABOUT MONEY MAKIN WITH IT I DONT CARE I DO IT FOR OTHER REASONS FUCK THEM SELLOUTS I DO THIS SHIT FOR ME AND FOR NODODY ELSE. M.O.B. (not money over bitches it means MUZIK OVER BITCHEZ for me.) enof said!

members online