What if....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
What would you do if all of the sudden Jay-z, 50 cents, Busta Rhymes, Eminem or any Rappers Out there that you love and respect would stop cursing in their songs and would start talking about positive things in life, not to mention how God is Good. Would you still listen to them and buy their albums???

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Yes...Jay and busta are the only ones out of the names that you I mention I really listen to,but the way they rhyme is why i luv them and the beats behind ther rhynmes. So if they decided to talk about God or other postive messages and can keep there same wordplay and lyrical prowness i would definitly still buy ther albums....My mom would be alot happier too

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I mean they have clean versions of songs....and they also have Christian and other cleansed musical forms that are perfectly suitable....but the truth is as the world has existed and turns...there will always be good and evil......moral to this story is that in the context of hip hop and keeping it real....and also reflecting the true reality of life.....those things which many might abhor, call vulgar, unclean, profane and are all part of the realities of the music now, even though many real scenarios of some MC's I know are hard not to reflect in their music...a lot have been locked up, incarcerated, in gangs contrary to some of the propped up MC's we see that never seen any action some mc's i run into are either straight inner citty and have seen death and everything else, would it be nicer for some to present their songs with no cursing? yes of course...but is that really possible, marketable or even a true reprentation?........I really do not think that life imitates music as much as the art imitating life...but for those that have no sense of that life or been around that then this form of hip hop serves the world things that it cannot understand fully...... I am not knocking you PG or anyone whose wishes are that somehow hip hop be cleaned up and made to look like a church, but why do people insist upon looking for something like that from what is not really going to reflect anything but reality pure and uncut? for the most part the radio stations have for the most part cleansed most of what you are talking about....anything else you have to go listen to it on your own and if you don't want to hear the rest of the content without the expletives get the good ol Bleeped version....

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
What they rap about and if they curse or dont doesnt mean a thing, you listen what you like and that whole list right there is wack, only busta used to be dope before he started that clapping shit.

T

The Bastard

busta rhymes mentions god . a lot of the rappers i listen to do nas,cappadonna,even jigga to name a few . i dont think they need to kick cussing to get the point across. i think its ill that they speak truth in their own slang, i mean does god really care if i say fuck, swears are just words invented by people, if they kicked the negativity theyd be ignoring a big part of life. so if they did kick the negativity and curses i prolly wouldnt buy their album cuz itd sound like sum fake watered down shit

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
I mean they have clean versions of songs....and they also have Christian and other cleansed musical forms that are perfectly suitable....but the truth is as the world has existed and turns...there will always be good and evil......moral to this story is that in the context of hip hop and keeping it real....and also reflecting the true reality of life.....those things which many might abhor, call vulgar, unclean, profane and are all part of the realities of the music now even though many scenarios of some MC's I know are hard to reflect in their music...a lot have been locked, incarcerated, in gangs contrary to some of the propped up MC's we see, would if be nicer for some to present their songs with now cursing yes...but is that really possible?........I really do not think that life imitates music as much as the art imitating life...but for those that have no sense of that life or been around that then this form of hip hop serves the world things that it cannot understand fully...... I am not knocking you PG or anyone whose wishes are that somehow hip hop be cleaned up and made to look like a church, but why do people insist upon looking for something like that from what is not really going to reflect anything but reality pure and uncut? for the most part the radio stations have for the most part cleansed most of what you are talking about....anything else you have to go listen to it on your own and if you don't want to hear the rest of the content without the expletives get the good ol Bleeped version....

I completely agree with you on all of that...And there are a hell of a lot of artists out there that are sick of gun talk, bragging about ho's etc though....Quite a lot of underground cats are doing whole albums without mention of those kinds of topics - even groups like Dilated Peoples try to stray from those types of attitudes and it really helps them to stand out. Deep Puddle Dynamics did a whole album without any typical hiphop vocabulary whatsoever. There are so many artists out there willing to be different/original and talk about different topics/views in different ways and styles - you just have to look [listen]for them a little bit more.

EDIT> Yus, I've suddenly changed into a 'Studio Assassin'

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
No.

Religious Hip Hop Is Wack.

actually, i dont buy their albums as is, they are crap.

It would just be ridiculous if out of no where they flip their style up. Dont get me wrong, most of the hip hop I already listen to is positive/uplifting, but come one, Stay true to self.

Plus, I dont want to be preached, converted, or outreached to, especially by rappers.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
i agree with hoppa religious hip hop sucks, that why i listen to secular music, i listen to gospel music alot but not christian hip hop, but if jay z and em and other people started doing christian hip hop and had some tight beats and good lyrics then that would be raw

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Lex said:
I completely agree with you on all of that...And there are a hell of a lot of artists out there that are sick of gun talk, bragging about ho's etc though....Quite a lot of underground cats are doing whole albums without mention of those kinds of topics - even groups like Dilated Peoples try to stray from those types of attitudes and it really helps them to stand out. Deep Puddle Dynamics did a whole album without any typical hiphop vocabulary whatsoever. There are so many artists out there willing to be different/original and talk about different topics/views in different ways and styles - you just have to look [listen]for them a little bit more.

EDIT> Yus, I've suddenly changed into a 'Studio Assassin'
Oh for sure there has been and is a lot of hip hop without any cursing whatsoever, and I love dilated and a lot of those other more underground cult followed hip hop groups and they are on some positivity, but I think what we are speaking on are the more commercialized artists, that probably do not have a clue who dilated peoples are....LOL

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
If rappers gave up cursing and only talked about positive messages that would be cool with me. I ain't trying to hear no Christian brainwashing/propoganda in music, though. I was raised Catholic, but my education has shown me that the principles of these religions were man-made and therefore really don't mean anything in terms of an unfathomable God. I do believe God exists, but not in the Christain form. So if these rappers were to talk about God in a generalized term I would be cool with it.

Christian rappers already exist, but I personally can't name even one.

Ctrl

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
god is good? ... come on now

KEEP RELIGION THE FUCK OUT OF MUSIC PLEASE....

WE ALREADY GET THAT SHIT JAMMED DOWN OUR THROAT ON A DAILY BASIS AS IS...

why do cats feel the need to push they religion like a demo tape, christians being the worst offenders...

T

The Bastard

gram green said:
god is good? ... come on now

KEEP RELIGION THE FUCK OUT OF MUSIC PLEASE....

WE ALREADY GET THAT SHIT JAMMED DOWN OUR THROAT ON A DAILY BASIS AS IS...

why do cats feel the need to push they religion like a demo tape, christians being the worst offenders...
religion has had a lot to do wit the making of music.and the making of this country and our way of life , some think the reason the worlds on its way down the shitter is because god is being forgotten,i agree

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
BASTARD said:
some think the reason the worlds on its way down the shitter is because god is being forgotten,i agree

hahaha ... quit bullshittin... im surprised to hear that stupid shit

if you wanna be real the worlds on its way down the shitter because of bunch of MEN are running around acting like they know what GOD is or wants, and then tryin to push it on other people...

i dont see "god" being forgotten... how can you say that when our country picked its president based on some christian bullshit... i see christian propaganda everywhere... what you want prayer in schools?

organized religion aint have shit to do with the making of music... in fact all religions I know about try to hold music back and stifle freedom of expression... and even go as far as calling it of the devil and shit...

but back on the subject, hip hop sucks bad enough now as it is... lets not make it worse

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Yep God Is Good But I dont need to hear that In my Music I can Go 2 Church or Pray Myself

Also More People have died in The Name of Jesus and Because OF Christianity then anything else . there u go thats some food for thought ...

Complexxx

Hip Hop Apprentice
ill o.g.
J Rilla and Big D both make good points. If the skills are the same then yeah. In reading Big D's post I think what he's trying to say is that the profanity and vugarity is a small piece of what helped bring hip hop this far. It's part of the "Hip Hop culture." Correct me if i'm wrong Big D.
As for Hoppa's first statement in his post.......I agree with it. I think christian hip hop is straight garbage (at least the stuff i've heard was).

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Very complex analysis COMPLEXXX and dead on, that is what I was tryna say.......I don't knock anyones religion but I just do not, repeat do not like all that is going on with religion these past 5 years or so....this whole my religion is better than yours and all of that has got to go.....I am a metaphysicist so I always choose science first as a foundation of anything with that said anything religous is a touchy subject because its soooo personal.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
honestly, if they started rapping about God and shit, i probably WOULDN'T like it as much. but i mean, i wouldn't care if they started rapping about other shit. i really don't care what the subject is, as long as it's good rap. but rapping about god? for me, that ruins it. i'm not religious, so i definitely don't feel like hearing about that shit. and for the record, i'll take hoes and bitches and cars and money over god any day.

iLLVA1

Hitman for Hire
ill o.g.
I think it'd be cool if they did. I would still listen to them but reality they make music about their surroundings and also what sells. Jigga said it himself "Truthfully I want to rhyme like Common Sense, but I'm worth 10 mil, I aint been rhyming like Common since." In this society people like to hear negative things...think about it...the news. People take interest in what negative things happen (someone was shot, robbed, how many people died in Iraq on this day, a bank was robbed). But I would listen either way. Heres a question; Would you stop going to the movies if all movies were only positive and good? If there were no action, horror, etc. movies would they be interesting? It's all entertainment.

Deca

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
my opinion

well i understand if most you guys think christian hip hop is wack, in the same sense i could say chinese hip hop is wack just because i dont understand the language. You simply dont understand the gospel yet.

I've been both places. i've rapped the usual hip hop stuff. now i spit the gospel. i dont rap about religion, but about the relationship i got with god. but like all music, they'res different QUALITIES of gospel hiphop. i've heard wack songs the same way i dont like everything jay-z spits.

And i dont agree with saying god or ''Religion' has no place in music. Most music you listen to originated from church. most the catz you hear came out of the church with the musical skill they got there and style they got there. let it be r&b or rap.

Most r&b singers came straight from church (from mary j blidge to withney houston )

Some musicien and mc too. poetry and rythm had alot of place in the bible and at the time it was written. ( check psalms for exemple)

So regardless this is my own biased opinion and i respect y'all too. But in the end, maybe yall judging too quick ;o)

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
how can you say we are judging too quick? everyone on here knows what they would or would not like to hear about. i wouldn't want to hear a rap about killing jews, and probably no one else on here would either. it's as simple as that. you either want to or don't. and i don't wanna hear about God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online