What is YOUR favorite Donut?

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
What's good fam? Check it, I've been really studing J Dilla's work. Particularly "Donuts". The man was phenomenal! Those of you who love and appreciate his work I assume has listened to "Donuts". I would like to know from you all what is your favorite donut and why. My Top favs are "Stop", Airworks. Those are to me the most sick beats. Dilla's sample quick sample edits and drum work are insane!! What I appreciate about these tracks is that Dilla's approach sounds like the old school basement method of double cassette editing. Some of you know what i'm talking about. Plus the samples he freaked on those two tracks. Airworks sound like a Luther Vandross cut freaked to crispy perfection. "Stop" is sick. I love his hook "You better STOP and think about what'cha do" is so catchy and the time signature is not just 4/4 on that part pure genious! What are your thoughts??

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I think it's an amazing record, I don't know any of the songs names, however anyone who wants to call themselves a "hip hop producer" should give that a listen to see what's possible with a bag of records and an MPC3000, amazing shit...

HDBEATS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Im not sure if its on Donuts or not but my all time favorite dilla beat is Signs with the brenton woods sample "Gimme a Sign". "You're breaking my concentration" dope signatures an samples on his shit. Someone should make a movie on his life cause i dont know who else would be making beats in the hospital when dying from a disease such a lupus (my mom has it also which is rare in women an more common in men). Dilla is a true inspiration to me.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
my favorite is one for ghost

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Donuts as an entire record is an emotional rollercoaster, with such amazing highs and lows, wouldn't be able to choose a track.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Dilla says go, Lightworks, The Last Donut of the Night, and Time: The Donuts of the Heart are definitely my favorites. I just recently bought Donuts, but I've been really listening to his work a lot. He definitely could just speak through the beats, which is amazing. On The Last Donut of the Night, Dilla's beat reminded me of a showdown from some old Western movie (like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly). That track is crazy.

RaO large

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ya'll DO know Dilla put secret messages in all the music on donuts, right? Dude knew he was gonna leave the earth soon.

Word? Like what?

I listen to that Record all the time and work'n on it ( i have the record he used and he fliped the shit outta that) and Light Works would be my joints

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Word? Like what?

I listen to that Record all the time and work'n on it ( i have the record he used and he fliped the shit outta that) and Light Works would be my joints

smoke a couple of 'em then listen.

"you're gonna miss me when I'm gone"

"don't cry"

dude was out there, he was more than just a good producer.