What Kind Of MIDI Controller(s) Do You Own and/or Use?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I'm looking at possibly copping either the Arturia Keylab 49 or 61 soon. Main reason is 'cause I need a controller w/a mod and pitch wheel and plus it can play well (no pun intended) w/Logic Pro X.

I'll be a beginner keys player who also has access to an acoustic Wurlitzer piano and an 88-key digital as I own a Yamaha P-105.

Last edited:
Evolution e keys 49 - I didn't even buy it. It was my mum's and she didn't need it anymore (she used to be a music teacher). Very basic but has so got a lot of mileage under the belt and I like the feel of the cheap ones. It does have pitch bend and modulation. I actually trigger a lot of drums in Renoise using laptop keys but will buy an MPC soon.

49 key is a nice amount. there's only a few occasions i wish I had more octaves, and would sometimes make things easier. but 4 octaves is a good range.
When I lived overseas I had a little Akai travel keyboard 2 octaves. Fit in the suitcase easy but damn I missed not being able to voice out chords properly. Keys were crap on it too, it looked like my first keyboard.

When I lived overseas I had a little Akai travel keyboard 2 octaves. Fit in the suitcase easy but damn I missed not being able to voice out chords properly. Keys were crap on it too, it looked like my first keyboard.
I have a Korg Micro, but I dont use it simply because it only has 2 octaves, I hate that

I'm all about 61 key MIDI controllers. I'm a pianist who owns a few digital pianos, so I like the 61 keys. I'm able to experiment and they're not as expensive.

I'm currently using a Novation SL MK III 61 controller.

A bunch of resources I found on Google also show this as a great option:

Cheers

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
I have Arturias, keystep and beatstep I think they're called. Nothing wrong for that kind of money. I am not a keyboard player so the "feel" is not an issue for me. idk... It might be for piano players.

beatsbytmj

At the moment, I mostly use an Arturia Minilab Mk2 and an Akai MPD26. I use Reaper for almost everything but I have started dabbling with Ableton for getting a quicker workflow and mixing in Reaper.

I am SO happy I went with the Minilab, the software it comes with, even if limited with the basic version, is fantastic.

Also have a Maschine MK2(with all the sounds), SP404 and an MPC1000. These don't get used as much these days :(

quapr

Producer
Battle Points: 1
I'll throw my suggestion in Arturias corner too... I have a Minilab for my keyboard controller. Its easily mappable to Ableton (although the "default" Ableton mapping isn't my jam in all honesty), its sturdy, the keys are good quality and there's a pitch/mod function too.

It talks to all of my synths absolutely no problem (via a midibox - there's no midi out which is annoying, but I don't mind USB on certain occasions) which is ideal as I don't have the greatest amount of space so tend to go for desktop versions without keys... or a sequencer rather than keys (again, thank you Arturia).

I also have a Push 2 which is handy to have hands on control over everything in Ableton, and is one of the main tools when playing live sets, and I also have one of those Korg Nanokontrols which doesnt get too much use unless I'm playing live... but it can be handy if I want additional faders for anything.

I'm looking at possibly copping either the Arturia Keylab 49 or 61 soon. Main reason is 'cause I need a controller w/a mod and pitch wheel and plus it can play well (no pun intended) w/Logic Pro X.

Just my $0.02 - go for the 61 if you're looking to get learning and playing keys - I reckon the extra octave will go a long way for when you're tinkering away! I know you have some extra toys to play with, but this one can hook up to your DAW and do everything!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @quapr will stick with what I stated in my original post.

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
The cheapest peice of crap i could find at the local "sells everything store" think its called i-rig keys ? Works fine tho just a small midi piano with selectable octaves and u can tune it in different keys, i prefer to program the rest