What Percentage do Managers get??

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
This du is tryin to sign me to his management company and is sayin he gets 15% im thinkin this is about right. because he is goin to be doin my marketin n promotion too. the contract is for a year. i met him by jus tryin to sell him some beats but now he is talkin bout managin me. and that he can get me some industry sales. i am goin to type up the contract n post it.

tony needles

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thats right, personal managers get 15-25% of an artists gross earnings and they suppose to get payed back for travel and other out of pocket ish...Business managers only get 2-6%

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
People that manage producers find work for the producer. That is reflective of your skills. If you can mix, he can find you a mixing job, if you can master, he will find you a mastering project. If he can broker your beats for you, you... and he... will get paid.

The whole purpose is for him to find you work, and he receives a percentage of the money you get per job. Or, he can broker deals for you with agents, etc., which then gives him a percentage cut. Basically, he finds you some form of work, or money for your work, and you pay him the commission.

Remember, a lot of con-artists will do something like this: They (your 'manager') tells you that he got a quote for 5.000 dollars. You don't know the source of the job, like what artist, or what executive producer, because you trust the manager. In fact, the job may be for 10.000 dollars, for example, so the manager will pocket extra 5.000 dollars AND get commission off your job. It may not be that extreme, where half the money is pocketed, perhaps only a 300 to 500 dollar skim off the top, either way, it happens, AND IT IS WRONG. Protect yourself.

That is a simple scandal to be aware of.

Regarding percentages, they are usually negotiable.

Sincerely,
God

THIS POST DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL OR BUSINESS ADVICE. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW SOMETHING, SEEK THE COUNSEL OF A QUALIFIED ATTORNEY.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
thanks God. so there really isnt no reason to be all shook up about gettin a manager? he is only findin work for me. the only thing i have to worry about is him rippin me off of the jobs i get...thats coo. that can be minimized by puttin in the contract that i gotta have a contact number for all persons that i do work for. or some means of contact so that i can talk with whoever im makin a beat for...

gotta luv the way u always say this isnt legal advice.

C

Copenhagen

Reading God's reply he and can see that the rumour I had heard and mentioned in your other thread, J-Malice, is true.
J-Malice, get a laywer to handle the legal side of the job your manager get's you. Contact a lawyer, get a short appointment, I don't know about US, but in Denmark, the first appointment, to sort out if he can help you or not, is free.
Then just ask him, that if he will overlook your contracts, possibly also be a witness and keep them archived for you, and for how much. If the price is fair, then, as I mentioned earlier, just add that price to your beat price. That way, the manager isn't able to scam you, cause as soon as he has set up a sale, you pass off the deal to you lawyer. Your manager can't argue about who does the contract, as long as he still get's 15% of your earnings, that's all he has to worry about.