What scales do you use? (keyboard)

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
this probably only concerns the people who make sample-free beats.

just wondering what scales you mainly use when making a beat. i use C MINOR all the damn time coz it dont sound happy and is really the only one i know...

if anyone has a link to a scale guide online please post it up.

sAfE.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
The particual scale and key signaure varies,
but I tend to use a major to minor progession with my beats, acutally that progession is the most popular in all forms of western music.

I just googled something and this came up
http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/12minor_scales.html

do a search, there is plenty of suff outtheir on this..

But be warned, it aint gonna mean shit if you dont aleast know how to read music
Also (the article states this) you can understand scales intelctually all day, but it dosent really mean anything untill your "ears" know what a particular scale is.

THe only way to get that is pratice

good luck

clas.....

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
classic said:
But be warned, it aint gonna mean shit if you dont aleast know how to read music
Also (the article states this) you can understand scales intelctually all day, but it dosent really mean anything untill your "ears" know what a particular scale is.

Class is right.....you got to have a ear for them.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
thanks for the advice people.

(MarkN: im not fully sure myself, but i know its a collection of notes which all go in harmony with each other, so if u makin a melody, u gotta keep everythin else in the track in that scale...)

sAfE.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
word up markN lol i played piano when i was younger classical bullshit etc. but i honestyle don't know what most the scales i use are i just listen then run my hands up and down the keyboard

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I mess mess with any and all scales, I guess I could say. I don't know what scale whether major or minor to go to when I want a happy sound, or sad sound. I know strings can put sadness on a track in a heart beat. I've only been able to go off of feeling. Soon I will employ an instructor who will give me the skinny on popular music, cuz I know there is a basic formula along with scales and chords to build off of when making pop music. And I'm not talking Brittney Spears shit. I mean music that has got to the masses. Jazz is popular, hence, pop music. Theres formulas to writing, playing and recording. You just have to be fortunate enough to find someone who will show you. Most of the teachers I've worked with want to take their own sweet time and have you figure shit out. Partly because they get paid by the hour, and the less you know the more money you'll spend with them, plus they spent countless hours practicing and they don't want some newbie taking off without putting in mad work. Bitches!

bassic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I use what sounds good with the beat im composing at the time but if u must know my bass chords r C's - F's and treble range from wotever matches

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dude I dont even know scales, I just learnt keys the way a lot of poeple learn guitar, I just learnt how to play major chords, minor chords 7ths etc. then I just play around looking for a good change up.

i usually sample, so when i make a keyboard beat it takes me like a month , cause i try to make it sound sampled.

Maknbeats

Back to Work
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 56
Yeah there are so many scales, i was taught them awhile ago, but i mean you can figure them out by yourself by listening to the diff keys. There is always the C scale and then the rest of the major scales. That is the basics, and i just checked out that site bobmatic, and that's real nice. I mean i knew some of that shit, like the ethnic shit, but i just learned alot just checking out, helped me out too.

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Diminished chords are great too, they give you that jazzy feel. C and G Minor diminished are great for jazz sounding tunes. I like all the minor chords in general, it's somber and serious and ominous.

C

chase

I hear you. I love the major 7ths and dominants for that jazzy sound. Minors are tight too.

ill o.g.
Major scales are for upbeats tracks "Timberland trackz". Minor scales are for Emotional, dark trackz "Dre or Eminem trackz. Reading music is important, but its more of the vibe or the feel. Basic theory will help everybody form sample-based to compostion producers.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
reading music is far from important. so is theory.

they are, however, both benificial and helpful.

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
reading music is far from important. so is theory.

they are, however, both benificial and helpful.

I agree. I consider myself a "functional illiterate" when it comes to music. If I hear it, i can play it. If you give me sheet music I'll have it in about a week. "Every, Good, Boy, Does...." But i do know chords and scales. I'm a minor scale type a dude, and love diminished and suspended chords and will invert the shit out of one chord for an entire song.

X

members online