What Should I Cop...Pro Tools or Logic?

• beat this! voting starts in...

Kil

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've always played the background in the studio and let my engineer handle all of the recording and mixing duties but the last session he MADE me do it and I actually caught the jones for computer based recording software. So I decided to build a home studio @ the crib and I'm copping a mac book pro but should I cop Pro Tools or Logic? My engineer uses pro tools but said that Logic BLOWS it away, he just doesn't really have an urge to learn it cause he's been with pro tools so long...so what should I cop and why? Good looking in advance for any help cats can offer...

www.twitter.com/kil889
www.myspace.com/kil889
www.willmakebeatsforfood.blogspot.com

Mess with M.O.P.’s “Rude Bastards”? Get @ me for some heat…

Reviews of The Grey Album by Vegas (Produced by Kil):
"This is a solid effort from the duo. They delivered a cohesive ensemble, showcasing great chemistry. I recommend the LP to anyone that's into the more melodic side of golden age Hip Hop (Pete Rock & CL Smooth, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.)" - Illmuzik.com
4 out of 5 Mics

Download "The Grey Area" here: http://vegasworldinc.bandcamp.com

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
it depends on your goals, if you want to be an engineer and go work in other studios you MUST know Pro tools period this is not up for debate. Now if you just want to make your own music use whatever you like. Logic is fantastic but I would not say it blows Pro tools away. It does some things better, but there are lots of things Pro tools does better than Logic. Its really about finding a tool that clicks with your brain.

spartan265

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Are you gonna be doing more recording? Or software based composing? Or and equal mix of both?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
heheh caught the engineering bug eh? All producers do, I dont know how you can produce and NOT be into the engineering aspect actually.
I been Rockin the PT for awhile now , but I hear logic is all that, dreampolice prolly knows best there though.

And kil.... Why are you adding an "add" to your post.. Thats not a sig I dont think?

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
dont know anything about logic but if you dont have any hardware that you can use pro tools on, why is there a debate. but if you do have something that can run pro tools then it couldnt hurt to learn it.

Kil

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
At first I was just interested it recording vocals and I know pro tools is the industry standard, but the more I hear about Logic the more it sounds on par with or maybe even better then pro tools. And my bad about the "add on" I didn't know how to put a signature in...if it's against the rules I'll dead it...

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
but the more I hear about Logic the more it sounds on par with or maybe even better then pro tools

Naa thats not true, they both are fantastic Pro tools has a TON of features that logic does not have. If you are working with a bunch of midi data Logic is better for sure but its getting close. Again the big question is do you ever want to work in a real recording studio? If so learn Pro tools now.

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i advocate reaper. its not avid. its not mac only. its cross platform, fully featured, and works with just about any hardware/os/plugin combo you could imagine. a very very good alternative to the two aforementioned applications :)

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Reaper is a great program but is shit on a resume. Logic knowledge can maybe help get you a job. Again if this is just your own music then who cares use what you like. But man I think everyone should know pro tools, you will just miss opportunities if you cant use it.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
No studios are 95% pro tools, for example I work at 4 major studios in town 3 are pro tools two are pro tools HD one with a dcommand the other cuts tape most of the time and edits in digital performer.

Seriously if I did not know pro tools I would not have a chance of working at those studios. Every city I have been in works this way and the MI sales numbers show this to be true. Pro tools more than dominates the pro studio market, in fact it is not even up for debate. So no very few a tiny tiny percentage of studios run logic as there main daw sorry. In fact if I did not know pro tools I don't think I would have worked for Sweetwater or done half of the things I have done in the music industry, said but true I suppose.

Bottom line is if you want to work for anyone else in the industry you MUST know pro tools. It would be like a graphic designer not knowing photoshop. Where Logic is Corel that weird other software that few pros actually use.

Now I am not speaking to the quality of said tools mind you, there is no problem getting the job done in either. But if you want to be an engineer and you know, eat, you know pro tools.

No studios are 95% pro tools, for example I work at 4 major studios in town 3 are pro tools two are pro tools HD one with a dcommand the other cuts tape most of the time and edits in digital performer.

Seriously if I did not know pro tools I would not have a chance of working at those studios. Every city I have been in works this way and the MI sales numbers show this to be true. Pro tools more than dominates the pro studio market, in fact it is not even up for debate. So no very few a tiny tiny percentage of studios run logic as there main daw sorry. In fact if I did not know pro tools I don't think I would have worked for Sweetwater or done half of the things I have done in the music industry, said but true I suppose.

Bottom line is if you want to work for anyone else in the industry you MUST know pro tools. It would be like a graphic designer not knowing photoshop. Where Logic is Corel that weird other software that few pros actually use.

Now I am not speaking to the quality of said tools mind you, there is no problem getting the job done in either. But if you want to be an engineer and you know, eat, you know pro tools.

Dont get me wrong, I dont entirely disagree with you, I think Pro Tools HD is the best out right now and its the way studios are going, but some studios are still running logic.
There was a time when Cubase was the industry standard, but times change, different players enter the game.
Im not saying you are wrong, just saying that while some studios still use Logic, there are still opportunities.
But the future is very much looking like Pro Tools HD at the moment. A wise man would learn it simply for the doors it could open in the future.
But then to effectively learn it requires some expensive hardware to make the best of the expensive software. High end studio monitors alone for a HD set up can cost a fortune.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
There was a time when Cubase was the industry standard, but times change,

ha ha

sorry man that is not true either here is what dominated the recording studio industry in this order

2" tape
ADAT
Pro tools

Pro tools has dominated the studio market since the late 90's cubase was never a contender in recording studios.

I think Pro Tools HD is the best out right now
I never said it was the best but it is by far the most used in commercial studios it has over 95% market share.

But then to effectively learn it requires some expensive hardware to make the best of the expensive software

sorry man this is not true either, Pro tools LE works in exact the same way as Pro tools HD so if you get an mbox and learn how to use it you can run and HD rig.

High end studio monitors alone for a HD set up can cost a fortune

nope, all Pro tools HD refers to is that it uses PCI-PC express expansion cards to run the plugins or "HD" cards so the computer CPU does no DSP work and all the processing is offloaded to the chips on those cards. It has nothing to do with high definition audio. Now Pro tools HD can handle 192k but that is a different discussion.

not trying to argue man, just trying to get facts correct here. Also note I am discussing commercial studios here and not basement home studios.

Kil

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Mostly I'm just trying to just get a nice studio @ the crib...eventually I'd LOVE to get in a BIIGER studio but for right now I just need a nice set up @ the crib...I appreciate all of the advice ya'll...for real!