What to do, if u want to be heard?

mortan

ill o.g.
Whats good fam?

I think my beats are good enough to be heard by the pro's, but I have no contacts at all, and I dont live in the US or any of the central hip-hop countries. Can anyone hook me up, or help me with this?

-mortAn- aka Niclz.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Whats good fam?

I think my beats are good enough to be heard by the pro's, but I have no contacts at all, and I dont live in the US or any of the central hip-hop countries. Can anyone hook me up, or help me with this?

-mortAn- aka Niclz.

EVERY producer feels their beats are good enough - but the ones who make it are the individuals who put in that extra time and effort to bring their music closer to the people who make decisions and offer deals.

There is a hip hop scene damn near everywhere nowadays and if there isn't one where you are at you can hop on one of those airplanes to get there.

Keep making the music but also take some risks and go to other places to be heard. Good luck!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
my best advice i could give anyone ....

DONT BE STINGY WIT THE BEATS!!

in reality it doesnt matter where u are as much as it used to even a couple years ago.... i live in nyc but my manager lives in chicago ( go figure) and an artist that ive been producing for and is now most likely gonna be picked up by sony lives in buffalo, ny!!

ps: i think that those cats that produced alot of Neyo's hits are from norway if im not mistaken...

mortan

ill o.g.
Ait, thanks to all who answered.Supose I have to push my beats hardere here in Norway! Thanks!

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
Also go to your local "Barnes and Noble" and pick up the updated version of the "Industry Contacts". That's a decent start. Make sure it's a recent copy or else you're going to get a lot of addresses and numbers that doesn't exist anymore...

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
youd be surprised how many labels accept stuff as simple as e-mail demos for beat makers. one's i'm currently in contact with are ubiquity and babygrande...all you do for babygrande is make a crackspace, (crackspace.com) and e-mail them the link. start e-mailing labels about being on compilations and even just submitting beats.

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
i fid it hard to find a decent rapper with a mic, most cats i run up have only one of the 2 not both :( but if you made some solid tracks you can try and send them to a local radio or a national hiphop station. If it has the quality they might play your songs, it'a always worth to try.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
i fid it hard to find a decent rapper with a mic, most cats i run up have only one of the 2 not both :( but if you made some solid tracks you can try and send them to a local radio or a national hiphop station. If it has the quality they might play your songs, it'a always worth to try.

It IS worth a try but Im cynical about radio nowdays..You have to make that cookie cuttr sound to get backing it feels like..But I aint the biggest fan of local radio here since they turned it into a clear channel monopoly umpteen years ago.

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
I'm not realy a fan by doing all the network over internet, and what about just make a cd with beats and end them to some record companies, i think they will pay more attention to listning to an actual cd mixed togheter than seperated tracks on the internet.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
I'm not realy a fan by doing all the network over internet, and what about just make a cd with beats and end them to some record companies, i think they will pay more attention to listning to an actual cd mixed togheter than seperated tracks on the internet.

You would think that...i did too. but basically what i learned is is that the submittal system (as far as major labels are concerned) is just as grimey as any other part of the music business and an artist trying to send a cd straight to a label is like trying to feed a shark by throwing a goldfish in the ocean.
for example, a&r's are usually in charge of getting beats...so the hierarchy goes like this...
producer has hot beats. he hires a manager. the manager keeps an eye on who needs beats etc and submits to a&r's...who (correct me if i'm wrong) only someone in his position has access to.
then, it's the a&r's job to get placements with the projects from his label. the only slight drawback is that the a&r might know a wack producer from high school or something and he might have promised to get placement for him yada yada and all this bullshit. the way you circumvent that is exactly what thedreampolice said...network...that way you or your manager can drop names...as long as there is substance behind the name drop, it's priceless...(you can't necessarily be like "yea i know spliff star" if you accidentally stepped on his jordans once at a club).

as far as indie labels are concerned (from my personal experience which is sort of limited so take it with a grain of salt): a lot of them are actually moving towards digital submission. one example that was already used was babygrande...in fact they don't even accept cd's...since they get swamped with them can't keep track of them. Ubiquity records is the other one i mentioned. i hit up the vp asking about demo policy...he said you can either send a cd or just e-mail me your tracks through yousendit...so i e-mailed them and he got back to me in like a day or two. haha...i got turned down...BUT i don't really have an "Ubiquitous" sound anyway...

anyway yea...this is basically what i learned from a couple people that i've been blessed to connect with. from my experience though, if you e-mail an indie label, they almost always get back to you...so i would start with that.

majestik

ill o.g.
Start your own hip hop movement

If all else fails you can always start your own movement in your own community. Like Guerilla Union says Educate. Organize. Uprise. My homie threw his own hip hop show in his backyard and charged like $3 entry fee. He promoted it through myspace and got a nice number of people to show up. PEace.

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
- The Net
- Forums
- Email
- & AIM

Those things can get you along way if you know how to utilize them properly ...
Pretty much everything I have done so far has been thru the net and I've
accomplished a pretty good amount of things ...

O

open mind

What to do, if u want to be heard?
turn up the speakers as loud as possible.boost the shit out of the master level get your mic ready and FART into the mic.

voila.now your neighbours have heard a sound from you aint that magic?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
turn up the speakers as loud as possible.boost the shit out of the master level get your mic ready and FART into the mic.

voila.now your neighbours have heard a sound from you aint that magic?

You've been doing good OM....don't start fucking up now!

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Whats good fam?

-mortAn- aka Niclz.

if your beasts are that god then you definetly want them heard. moreover, if they truely are beasts then they want to be heard. saying all this is so, you want to blast locally at all your local stations, groups, and straggler mcs. internet is not the way. walk your blocks and speak your clout! get to know your local scene, moreover you want your local scene to get to know u

take care,
m/a