What to Look For When Shopping For Vinyls to Sample

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
What do you look for when you are buying a vinyl to sample from if you cant hear it where you are like at a second hand shop or something? Cuz ive bought a few records recently and can find any decent samples on them.

Peace

BeAtArKiTeK

"Only God Can Judge Me"
ill o.g.
I just go by the cover and if i think it will have some good material , i usually go for the funkiest shit i see...lol
but thats just me

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
dont think of the songs on these records as songs- think of each sound as a possible sample. ive fipped shit off a country western 45" right next to a russian folk record. you can make a trippy pad out of a long vocal by sampling it and putting it through a gang of effects etc. i dont really think people can tell you what to dig for though because i think the way people dig and what they dig for/what they do with the records defines their style (eg. kanye west and his played out chipmunk vocals and looped funk/soul records; el-p and his rediculous robotic dirty grimy orchestrations).

hope this helps

peace

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
As long as it says 1-2 dollars thats all that really matters...I like to pick out tha obscure ones tho to be specific...I like tha ones that look hella vintage, and i try to stay away from anything relatively new....Lots of tha time, i also tend to dig for old radio broadcasts and old brass shit.

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I look at the cover, track titles, instrument listings, etc. Whatever looks interesting I'll get.

ill o.g.
If its at a place where there $0.95each, then it dont matter what you grab, i grab what looks like somethin i can use, or the music that i usually find my style of shit on.

If its at a place where records are $5-$15each, then i look for the type of music thatll have the sounds i want in my beats, then i preview them. Previewin is good sometimes, cuz you dont go and waste $20 on a pile of plastic you aint gonna use. Its cool sometimes to get some cheap records though, cuz you never know what your gonna get.

C

Copenhagen

I'll buy anything that has a half naked lady or a big afro on it... ;) ...and I'm not kidding. Haven't been too disappointed with my criteria so far.

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
I suggest usin a portable turntable. They're fairly cheap and good to use while your out diggin.
Me personally, I just choose at random. Whatever I use, I use. And whatever I dont use right away, I'll get around to usin later on. But that's just me.

-Roy

BeAtArKiTeK

"Only God Can Judge Me"
ill o.g.
Yeah like Royal said a portable turntable will be great for diggin so u can peep the records before you buy them im thinkin of picking one up myself

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Unless your going to buy at big swap meets of over priced records, don't bother with the portable turntable. If you just buy cheap at good will, flea markets, and the like, you can buy tons of cheap records with good sounds for a fraction of the cost and time of using the portable turntable. I buy lp's and 45's. here in texas i can buy 5 45's for a dollar, and i find good shit. i also look for 70's era rock and funk, and i have come to recognize obscure labels.

E

Equality 7-2521

i look for instrument listings, date, biography of artist, description of artists music, solo listings, thick dark lines on the record (indicating solo sounds)...

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Copenhagen said:
I'll buy anything that has a half naked lady or a big afro on it... ;) ...and I'm not kidding. Haven't been too disappointed with my criteria so far.

exactly my number one criteria!

1- funny/dope cover
2- I buy absolutely all funk album I met, even if alot of times the good breaks are already used
3- don't buy disco compilation, they suck
4- I buy all children book/spoken word/not music vinyls I can find
5- Something with weird instrument is cool
6- I stay away from James Last album, the playing is weak and they are soaked in reverb

I rarely buy a vinyl for more than 1$. I crave for garage sales. I have a portable turntable that I don't really use for digging.

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
Old Disney muzak rules.

yeah they do, the other day i got the jungle book theme music and the encyclopaedia of childrens stories (4 records) for $2

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think when u sample, no matter what you sample from you gotta go with what your style is. Now if u like sampling jazz, then go for jazz records, if u more like soul typa sampler go with old soul. But it dont really matter what records u cop cuz i seen people making hot shit off of sesame street record or country music.

L

LDC

SpinDoctor said:
What do you look for when you are buying a vinyl to sample from if you cant hear it where you are like at a second hand shop or something? Cuz ive bought a few records recently and can find any decent samples on them.

Peace

Get familiar with the Rap Sample FAQ. Go to the site, print out every page and get familiar with every record on there. Having the knowledge of what's already been sampled will help you dig up those undiscovered, dope records.