What will beats sound like in 2009?

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
We have:
the sample (Primo, Pete Rock) vs the synth (Timbaland, Neptunes) vs the live (the Roots). We also have the mix of all of the above (Kanye West, Dre).
All hot, some more legal than others, some require less gear, some require more training to pull off, anyone have any predictions if one style will dominate down the line?

My personal prediction is that sequenced beats are getting a bit predictable, I think people will start to enjoy mistakes, off timing and live shit, going back to three or four people in a room (or on the internet) jamming straight live and recording straight to tape or disk. With the pro tools / quantize / perfection world we live in, I do miss the occasional mistake on a record.

Easy
Dahkter

woohff

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I sure hope that guys like HI-TEK and others will be the mainstream then =). Well not mainstream, but you know...

I have the same feeling that Timbalands beats, for example, are quite predictable, but when listenin' Hi-Tek you don't know when he slaps his snaredrum =)

G

Ghetto Lexicon

^^^ tru that...l0l

well first of all i think that the commercial scene will some how bleed its sounds n stylistics into the undergournd scene and the line will be blurred more than it already is..commerical production will of course get cheesier. by then i think ppl will actually start mixing freekin trance wit hip hop productions for like a twisted outcome.. actually u never kno someone may come along n do it n have some of out heads boppin...

p.s. the closest u can get to live performed hip hop is the roots.. the neptunes also use live instruments but can blend there stuff together.. they use synths n stuff too but i think they still keep their live feel in some of there production..."She wants to move" is all live i beleive..."Frontin" is an example of wut im talkin about... used sythed produced sounds from keyboards n shit .. but still a live feel.... thas my input....

p'z

ill o.g.
I hope that rappers stop doin this for the money and fame, and go back to real hip-hop. The first step in that direction that we could make, is to not make videos, and to stop watching MTV.

I hope that rap goes back to when you hafto go to the local record store or listen to the radio to see whats up, instead of goin on the internet or turnin on the tv.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
i think sounds on keyboards like motifs & korgs will sound so real that real ochestras and live players will only be needed for performing and giving the audience that vintage feel. i bet the new ochestras will be like 2 keyboard players bashing their synths lol

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I think we'll be remixin' trax from 2000 because it's a commercial habit, industry remains or defrags because technology enables independent/bedroom productions to be " quality certified " up to industry specs. It's either that or history repeating. Im affraid it wont be very original for what hiphop in the charts concerns.

My personal prediction is that sequenced beats are getting a bit predictable, I think people will start to enjoy mistakes, off timing and live shit, going back to three or four people in a room (or on the internet) jamming straight live and recording straight to tape or disk. With the pro tools / quantize / perfection world we live in, I do miss the occasional mistake on a record.

The whole sequencer issue is a bit out of people's perpspectives so it seems, it by the user to define his sequencing/composing skills, though audio has a far bigger " resolution " ( read none ), Fl for instance has a ppq of 768 ( somewhere along this number ), logic can go even further where it can convert audio to midi including accent/velocities. If you know what this means than your perspective would tell you that human feel/timing can be sequenced accurate by the nanosecond. If a beat sounds " sequenced " than the producer/beatcreator has been half-steppin' and should've paid more attention to the drumprogramming or he just noob hehe. Simply a matter of skills and insight, taste too.

Have you thought about multimedia carriers ? Blue dvd technology enables 17Gb although portable storage will be the future, but that also implies that a carrier is obsolete in the future and that exploitation will be executed through the ether, you buy where ever you are. The whole format issue also means that either albums become less in favor and more singles will be produced. I mean, if you take a dvd/SACD and fill the 17Gb, how much crap you gonna use to fill the other 16 Gb ? And why would people bother to buy the whole album if they can dl only the best tracks ( paid or not ).

But first, let see if we haven't blown ourselves of the planet before 2007.

K

kwantize

they all ready came up whit something kind of new ...u hummmmmmmm the melody 2 a song and i will find songs thats sound like that ... i think one day u maby can hook up something 2 your brain and i will make the beat 4 you .....i would make some crazy shit lol

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
5 years from now isnt really that far away, so dont think that music is gona really change that much. Rappers will still be talking about money and holes, cloths and whips. I dont look for much to change as far as the music go i just hope for things on the independent music of things to get better. Music will only change if Indies can start doing good.

B

Bless

J Dilla is the realist when it comes to doin off beat shit and not keepin it so perfect!i read somewhere that he said he even just plays the drums live stright off the drum machine wit no quantize!i thought that was dope!

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
hmmm dilla's drums sound awfully quantized to my ear. maybe im wrong, but.... they sound extremely quantized.

i a ma dilla fan, by the way.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Drummachines automaticly quantize by ppq, being mr smartypants here hehe. If I set TC @ 1/8th and start drumming away I also would just be banging away simpleton style... Big deal... Use 16th and swing and you're offbeat...

members online