What would ya'll do?

• beat this! voting starts in...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Im looking for some different opinions everyone...I have a really cool oppertunity to get some tracks to a couple of bona-fide hip hop mega producers...It is through a personal friend of theirs so its not the "unsolicited demos wind up on the floor deal", the music will be heard...My idea was to give buddy a CD with two bangers on it, they are my goto tracks that always get an "oh shiiiiit" response, I figure if I do it like that I'll have a better chance of getting a meeting cause if they like em they're gonna wann hear more...

Im curious to know how you all would (or have) approach the situation.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Same thing except maybe 3 tracks for a lil diversity. I'd also make them at disc makers so I could put some info on the CD without the magic marker/unprofessional look.

Good luck to you

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Lou I've never heard any of your work but I would definitely make sure that everything is on point with sound quality and what DOX was saying...appearance wise. Just any little detail that you think would make your project presentable at a professional level.

Good luck.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I'd look up the style of the producers, your goto tracks will ignite the appropiate producer so you have find out whether he is or isnt.

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
Yeah, I hope this isnt considered thread jacking but I have a similar opportunity. Do I want to do something I think theyll like based on what I know they liked before? (who wants to go back in time? Been there, done that.... Right?)
Or do I just give them what I like a cross my fingers? Cuz if they like what I like they like what I do an we'll have a better chance of working in the future, right?

As far as presentation, I dont see. Problem with a sharpie on a demo, just make sure whatever printed or web based ocs they see are ON-POINT. Make sure you spell names right on packaging etc... I think that thriftiness' a solid marketing presence and professional courtesy ar worth more than a Discmakers oneoff...
Imho...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Good luck homie...

My big big problem with that is.....getting your beat jacked.....

My beat was jacked a similar way..Some of the vets know the story but here goes:

Back in the day my cousin worked taxi dispatch at JFK airport in NYC. Nearly every day he would see a celebrity come through the airport to catch a taxi/livery. So every time he saw a hip-hop artist or someone with hip-hop connects, he would give them one of my cards...The cards actually had Nomics (of Da illfellaz) and my contact info and soundclick pages. My cousin gave a card to this dude who had a Rocafella chain on.
Next thing you know, I'm getting a message stating that someone jacked my beat on a dipset record... Turns out the beat was stolen by a dipset producer named Ebonics (or some other spelling deviation) for a record by JR Writer titled "Give me a Second", featured on his "Writer's Block" mixtape. Turns out the dude was dropped quick, because he was of course, stealing beats.

I understand you want to get your name out there in the music industry and I'm always about positive thinking.......but that's almost like giving your secret formula for coca-cola to a pepsi representative.

I do wish you the best of luck, homie....and I really do hope what happened to me does not happen to you.

If you wanna hear the records...here they are:

My beat (under my old name, coming soon)...look @ the date it was uploaded...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=124315&songID=1456712

And here's the JR Writer record.....

What do you think????

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
Odd, its not quite the same as someone bitin ya lyrics, beatjackin kinda marks ya whole style, if the homey was butt, it might stain ya production... Wild...
But we know ya joints is butter, so thats not even an issue...
It might even be a selling point...
Did u sue?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
No...I didn't sue...

#1 I didn't know how to approach it at that time...

#2 I didn't think it was that big of a deal at that time, especially since no one even knows the record like that...

#3 The dude most likely made next to nothing on the record.

No way was this to scare you, Lou...

Just wanted to give you what could happen....not everyone is out there to bring people up....especially in hip-hop.

Funny thing is that, the dude just looped the hook and layered a snare.

I even made a mistake in the beat and doubled the hi-hat...and you can hear it on the downbeat right before the end of the bar. Dude straight looped my shit and was like "yeah nigga this shit I did yesterday"

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Its been my experience that ain't Nobody that does the same thing you do try to help another in this business. It's so damn cut throat it's sickening. As Sucio pointed out, watch ya back. these ucks will rape ya ass. just make sure you are covered. good luck.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks for the input sucio, im not much worried about these guys jacking my 2tracks though. The guys im sending the music to are a lil above the layer a snare on your 2track type theivery...They're more the "you make the beat and I'll spruce it up, make it radio ready, and give you writer and composer credits" types...Which Im actually cool with...If by some chance I get a call for my stems then I'd worry.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
The only other comment I can make (piggy backing off Sucio's) is to make sure your stuff is copyrighted. Its nothing for a producer with some compositional skills to completely remake a beat. In fact, I have to say do not let anyone HEAR the tracks that you dont trust: a associate of mine has recreated beats just by listening. We were at the studio, some dude was showing off his beats, when we left, we went to my other friends place and he completely remade the tracks (multiple) and threw in some of his own stuff.

If people want ya tracks, they'll steal it any way they can. My dad used to say "Locks are for lazy thieves"

members online