What you use to make beats is very important

But certainly you have to imagine the sound you are going for in your mind first. Then you can translate it to your “soul” which isn’t very well defined in this particular discussion. My larger point is that your sound comes from you. Not your gear.
I dont imagine a sound, I hit the keys until I get that feeling. Then I choose sounds that fit the feeling. The scale dictates the feeling, I find my scale, then choose sounds that feel like they suit what feeling I wish to express

The studio has a mac and logic but I dont use it. Going to get one of the kids to show me around it as I show him how to mix. Then Ill use logic too.

Last edited:

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I dont imagine a sound, I hit the keys until I get that feeling. Then I choose sounds that fit the feeling. The scale dictates the feeling, I find my scale, then choose sounds that feel like they suit what feeling I wish to express

The studio has a mac and logic but I dont use it. Going to get one of the kids to show me around it as I show him how to mix. Then Ill use logic too.
Man, Logic has probably the most bang for the buck of any DAW but at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. They all get you to the same destination. And really you don’t have a beat, a melody, a lyric, anything in your head when you make stuff? That’s baffling to me.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
@thedreampolice Yeah I remember when 9th switched to the MPC, I thought that was odd at the time since he was doing a lot of good stuff with just FL.
The MPC 2500 sure forces you to focus on what your sample is actually doing. Where FL has everything and the kitchen sink in it. I can see likening a stripped down workflow.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The MPC 2500 sure forces you to focus on what your sample is actually doing. Where FL has everything and the kitchen sink in it. I can see likening a stripped down workflow.
Exactly. Obviously this doesn't apply to ALL genres of music, but I just find for making beats it seems to make the most sense to me. I've been there playing with all kinds of plugins and I either use VSTs that I have no business using or I don't even get anything done because I was just auditioning everything. :p

And really you don’t have a beat, a melody, a lyric, anything in your head when you make stuff? That’s baffling to me.
Practically every time I go into making a beat with a melody in mind I end up with something completely different.
When composing I NEVER know where its going until I load a patch and start playing chords or melodies to see how they feel. I might have a feeling in mind.

When sampling most of the feeling is dictated by the sample and how limiting the sample is, so Ill pick a sample based on feeling.
My beats make themselves, where they go is dependent on what feels and sounds right and where that leads next.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
But certainly you have to imagine the sound you are going for in your mind first. Then you can translate it to your “soul” which isn’t very well defined in this particular discussion. My larger point is that your sound comes from you. Not your gear.

I feel a feeling inside. Or I 'hear' a sound. I don't 'think' of one. When it comes to making music.

I then, similar to what 2good is saying. Play something until it 'clicks' or 'locks in' with that internal feeling.

Ages ago, I had a bottle of absinthe, and I was drinking it to feel a little tipsy to make music... I found that way, anything i made whether 'technically' 'right/good', if it didn't latch on to my vibe I just moved on until something matched my tipsy feeling (similar to how 2g said about 'stoned trance').

I then moved on from that, to no longer use absinthe or anything, and that there is always an internal 'feeling' that you gotta let yourself feel, kinda like a gear or weird floor in a fun-house, moving in some weird rhythm, anything that wants to hop on board is going to have to match the movements otherwise it'll fall off.

Ever since I trusted my 'feeling' rather than 'thinking', I more easily moved on from ideas that weren't fully working until I find a way it works.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
your “soul” which isn’t very well defined in this particular discussion

it's that intangible, somewhat ethereal, mystical quality, that manifests in your feeling, beyond any kind of fixed or defined value.

Akin to intuition and 'gut feeling'.

Something that feels beyond the matter-of-fact/details/logical mind.

it's that intangible, somewhat ethereal, mystical quality, that manifests in your feeling, beyond any kind of fixed or defined value.

Akin to intuition and 'gut feeling'.

Something that feels beyond the matter-of-fact/details/logical mind.
Thats why putting your heart and soul into creative arts always has the best results.
And why making music for quick ROI and no intention of legacy has degraded all music, films, tv an anything else that requires some imagination and tap into what people are feeling and even shape it, no better example of this than the Matrix movie.
It takes the heart and soul to keep going despite the many failures along the way, the failures are essential to our learning, but our fragile egos have trouble learning the lessons sometimes. Tame the ego, learn the lessons and we can keep moving along on this musical adventure, an adventure that can be a lifelong journey of learning. The more you know, the more you realise how little you know, this applies to everything in life tbh.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: quick ROI @2GooD Productions has resulted and is resulting in generations of (f)artists unable to figure out, by trial and error coupled w/knowing the "rules" of music thrown in, their distinct voice.

There has ALWAYS been disposable pop music as long as recorded music has existed. Its nothing new. Computers just made it so that its easy to make more music across the board. So there is more filler, but also more good music too.
yes, there has always been disposable manufactured music, but now that has become the norm, the staple.
You are right about the filler, albums used to have just a few filler tracks, now they are one single and the rest is filler.
The stations are owned by four companies. Everything has become monopolised and centralised. EVERYTHING is agenda driven now.
The marketplace is very different too, the internet changed a lot, DAW's made it possible for anybody to be a beatmaker.
The only way to go is independent, but it entails a lot of hard work and the main stations wont be playing your stuff.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: Independent @2GooD Productions takes money, a known geographic market relative to genre(s), flexible tangible plans, a team, legit connections and time. Everything major(s) require(s).

Delta_Nine

Illa la muzika!!!
True
I agree with The Dream police. I hear a sample, and I'm already beat boxing my drum pattern. I have a general idea of what I'm trying to achieve before I lay it down. If it doesn't work out in the end, I just delete it.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
True

I agree with The Dream police. I hear a sample, and I'm already beat boxing my drum pattern. I have a general idea of what I'm trying to achieve before I lay it down. If it doesn't work out in the end, I just delete it.
I don't know your process, but this sounds closer to 'feeling it', as in you hear a sample and you can feel how your drums will bounce.

Unless you're hearing a sample and going 'i shall put a kick on the 1st and then the 7 and 9'

thinking is a more of a mathematical soluation.

Delta_Nine

Illa la muzika!!!
I'm kinda leaning with fade on this one. Long time daw user. Went dawless (almost, I still use fl for gentle mastering)and my sound changed completely. I love the daw because I was banging beats out in like ten minutes, but I was tired of staring at the screen.

Delta_Nine

Illa la muzika!!!
Further down my thinking, my sound changed color wise. My mpc has got some pretty good filters in my opinion, so I filter everything. Hp on kicks lp on snares and hats. I'm filtering samples...everthing. that's how I mix, I filter frequencies in till it sounds good to me.
Tedious and slow as hell, but I love the process.

members online