What you'll think bout this Hyphy music in th Bay Area

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hypy/news_feature_110804/

— by Shaheem Reid

A mob of young teenagers is going completely bonkers. You'd think these kids were watching Jay-Z at Madison Square Garden, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre at the Staples Center or Eminem at the Detroit's Cobo Arena — their energy level is that heavy. But they're not in an arena. The place they've flooded doesn't even have a stage.

The kids today are at a record store: Rasputin Music in San Lorenzo, in California's San Francisco Bay.

Federation in-store signing

The fans — dozens of them — are shaking like they've been possessed by the Holy Ghost. Their heads are shuddering violently, their arms are flailing like they're on fire, and the youngsters are yelling in unison like a bunch of unabashed shouting Johns vying for attention from the pastor and congregation.

But this is no act to revere some false prophet or profit-hungry evangelist. To paraphrase Humpty Hump from Bay Area legends Digital Underground, these kids are doing what they like, how they like; getting "dumb, stupid and retarded" — and the thing that's getting them so worked up is a jittery, sped-up, synth-powered strain of hip-hop they call "hyphy," and they're here to celebrate the release of a new album by ... the Federation.

(Don't worry, we hadn't heard of them either.)

The three brothas in the Federation (Doonie Baby, Goldie Gold and Mr. Stres) have the spot poppin' like fish grease over an open flame on the strength of their home-grown hits, "Hyphy" and "Go Dumb." And if 99 percent of the world's music fans have never heard of the Federation or hyphy, it doesn't matter: Right here, right now, this is What's Hot. Where'd it come from?

"The same way the South gets crunk, the Bay Area gets hyphy."

"It's that Northern Cali crunk, as far as the music goes," producer Rick Rock (Jay-Z, Mystikal, E-40, Tupac) explains about the musical movement that is fueling a whole subculture in the "Yay Area." "It's that high, energetic music: It's the energy, but it's our demographic."

"The same way the South gets crunk, the Bay Area gets hyphy," Goldie adds.

Hyphy, however, is much more than just music. In fact, the sound factor was the last step in hyphy's evolution.

To use words to capture the hyphy phenomenon is a bit of an injustice — you have to retell stories and paint scenarios. One popular example of kids acting hyphy or "going dumb" is "gas-brake dippin'." In the Bay, they pile into their cars and, instead of driving normally, they'll hit the gas, then quickly hit the brake; hit the gas, hit the brake; hit the gas, hit the brake. And when they really want to get into it, they open all the doors on the vehicle, turn the music to its loudest possible volume and …

Kids getting hyphy

You guessed it: Hit the gas, hit the brake ...

Then there's the dancing we saw at Rasputin.

Shortly after the Feds finish their in-store performance, the party spills out onto the sidewalk around the corner from the store. With "Hyphy" playing Radio Raheem-style on a boom box, there's one male teen with his arms extended like a sleepwalker's, bouncing around with his head shaking like a chicken with a caffeine rush. There's his male friend walking around with his eyes rolled up in his head like a zombie, and another guy who looks to be doing a 2004 version of the Harlem Shake — in an earthquake.

"Hyphy is when you go dumb!" yells Keisha Lee of San Jose, while she and her friend Ashlee cut loose in the street. "You just don't give a care — when all your energy goes to your head and you just can't stop. It's just about going crazy."

Sho' nuff, the hyphy-ness is synergized, and during a break in the dancing, a Mustang pulls up and the driver decides to show love for the movement by doing donuts in the narrow street, just barely missing a minivan. Minutes later, a vintage Buick — or, as they call them in the Bay, a Scraper — pulls up and all four doors pop open. One teenage boy jumps on the door rest and the car starts to bounce up and down like it was on hydraulics.

The story varies depending on whom you ask, but most seem to agree that hyphy started off as a slang word in the 'hood to describe people who were up to no good.

" 'Hyphy' is short for 'hyperactive,' " Doonie says later that night at the Ambassador's Lounge in San Jose, a couple dozen miles south of San Lorenzo. The club, which is owned by E-40, is hosting the Federation's album-release party.

If somebody was going around the 'hood picking fights and knocking people out Deebo-style, he was hyphy. If, even worse, someone was going around shooting up the block, he was hyphy.

As goes the history of many slang terms ("wildin' out," "blackin' out"), the negative was quickly switched up to also include positivity.

If you see a girl going into a club and her shape makes you do a double take, she's hyphy. During the summer, when 2,000 fans decided to show love by getting up out of their seats and rushing onto the floor of the Oakland Coliseum during the Federation's halftime performance at the And 1 basketball tour, they were getting hyphy.

"I'm analyzing the Yay, I'm seeing how we're getting stupid, getting dumb. 'Let's make a song called 'Hyphy.' " — E-40

So after years of using the term to describe people's actions, it was now time to come up with a soundtrack to fit the lifestyle.

"It's like back in the day with the breakdancing, it's evolved into a culture," says Rick Rock, who is credited as being the king of hyphy like Lil Jon is the king of crunk. "It's like the new generation, the crack-baby era: the dreadlocks shaking, riding with all four doors open. It's how the kids are feeling these days. There was a time when northern California [music] was more mild and slow and laid-back. I came and brought this super-fast hyphy sound. I put the music to the culture."

It's a sound that has developed largely in isolation: An out-of-towner really feels like an out-of-towner when peeping out the Yay Area music scene. You can't hear this music hardly anywhere else.

"You have to be here," Rock adds. "That's been the thing with [record] labels and radio stations, they don't really understand it. It's hard to get it."

Although E-40 credits Oakland MC Keak Da Sneak from the group 3X Krazy as being the first person to say the word hyphy on wax back in 1998 (on "Cool," from his LP Sneakacidle), it never dawned on anyone to actually make a record named "Hyphy" until last year.

"Hyphy is when you go dumb."

"If people can take 'oh boy' and 'fa shizzle' from the Bay, why can't we capitalize on hyphy?" Goldie asks. "We was like, 'Let's make an anthem for the Bay. The South got crunk. Northern Cali — we need our own shine."

"I'm analyzing the Yay, I'm seeing how we're getting stupid, getting dumb. 'Let's make a song called 'Hyphy,' " 40 further expands. "I'm telling my folks, 'Dude, this is where it's at.' It came together like Siamese twins. Just like [the Luniz's 1995 hit] 'I Got 5 on It' was an anthem, this is an anthem."

An anthem indeed. Not only are some of the Bay favorites like B-Legit and Richie Rich in the Ambassador's Club tonight, but MTV's own Sway, an Oakland native, has decided to go up into the DJ booth with the area's current reigning DJ, Big Von. The crowd is not hyphy enough for Sway.

"We gonna do this one more time for the world!" Sway yells. "Let's celebrate with the Federation. Big Von: Throw it on!"

Von plays the record for a second time, and bodies are literally bouncing off of each other, sweat is flying like like crack cocaine references on an episode of "The Wire." Still, Sway is not satisfied.

Sway amps the crowd at the Federation album-release party

"A lot of these cats need to run [around Oakland's] Lake Merritt," Sway laments. "They look tired! People in the front, look at the people in the back: They [messing] it up for y'all. I need everybody in this room to get involved! Yay Area, are y'all ready? Big Von! Let it drop one more time!"

Finally, as a man hangs off a railing, another man is holding his sunglasses in the air — sunglasses that happen to have giant dollar signs where the eyes are — and the room throbs to the beat, Sway is content with his hometown crowd.

"Everybody can come together. This is like a family for me, coming back to the Bay and seeing everyone coming together and we all having fun. We can bring the Bay Area back on the map and this how we gonna do it! Y'all gotta support these Bay Area talents!"

Sway's sentiments were being followed before he even said them. The Bay has been showing "hella" love to their hometown teams: Indie acts like San Quinn, the Team and Turf Talk are regularly spun on the radio and in the clubs with their own brand of hyphy. And Von hopes the movement will spread far beyond the Bay.

"There are songs that have always been hot, like [Cam'ron's] 'Welcome to New York City' or [Jermaine Dupri and Ludacris'] 'Welcome to Atlanta,' but we in the Bay never had that," he says. "We're finally hearing a record from where you from, talking about what you talk about: the scrapers, the stunners, hyphy, the dreads shaking. We happy to have that. It's like a release. [The fans] are so happy to have something of their own.

"In San Francisco, about a month ago," he continues, "I saw that as soon as the song came on, people started jumping through the windows, swinging from the sprinkler systems. I was like 'Alright, we got a hit!'

"Hopefully, we can work it to the rest of the world."

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Don't get the article wrong though, the sound is very different from the crunk shit. But I think it's cool, it's kind of funny and wierd, though. For the past couple years in the bay, this shit has been going on and it has really changed the whole bay area youth scene. At highschool football games, dances, sideshows and all that shit, fools have hella energy and always want to go dumb. Hyphy is the only word to really describe the atmosphere. People actin a fool basically. I'm more the laid back type though so it's not really my style, but I don't mind it or dislike it. It's just whatever I guess. Hella people in the bay have dreadlocks, but not the long ass ones, just like down to the middle of the neck at longest, and they just love shakin their dreads and actin a fool for some reason.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
o-a-ksavage said:
Don't get the article wrong though, the sound is very different from the crunk shit. But I think it's cool, it's kind of funny and wierd, though. For the past couple years in the bay, this shit has been going on and it has really changed the whole bay area youth scene. At highschool football games, dances, sideshows and all that shit, fools have hella energy and always want to go dumb. Hyphy is the only word to really describe the atmosphere. People actin a fool basically. I'm more the laid back type though so it's not really my style, but I don't mind it or dislike it. It's just whatever I guess. Hella people in the bay have dreadlocks, but not the long ass ones, just like down to the middle of the neck at longest, and they just love shakin their dreads and actin a fool for some reason.

That's kinda like how niggas be going crazy at the go-go shows, shaking they dreads and shit!

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
From what i saw it looks like a MIX of GO-GO and crunk. ITs cool to see other people doing their own thing tryin to form their own identitiy

No disrespect to them bay area cats be we have been doing that shit for YEARS!!!

class.......

Class that's true man, I was thinking the other day and if you go region by region everybody has there own thing that's the underground, yo help me on this but here's a start

DC, MD, VA, NC= GOGO

SC,GA, FLA, TENN, KN,AL = CRUNK

TX, LA, MS, = SCREW

IL, WI = HOUSE MUSIC

NJ = HOUSE

NY = UNDERGROUND HIP HOP

BAY AREA = HYPHY?

WHAT'S YOUR AREA UNDERGROUND SCENE LIKE

OH YEAH CLASS, THAT NSU and Hampton respectively Homecoming after party was out of control, first MuMbo Sauce band killed it to everyone's surprise, they are a young band of HU students, then NDB did all right, and last was UCB they killed it for the 15 min. they got to play, it was a pajama party so you know women got naked! I got some head in the parking lot, hehehe in my mans Expedition!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok man this music might have the lingua that is relevant to that area as far as the lyrics, but the music sounds like Timbaland or Neptunes or a hybrid but it don't stick out as something new to me...????? anyhow so I dunno whether it steps out of the box as a localized sound man???? it has shades of krunk but maybe I missed sumthin, is there other links to the songs I hear the synths in there too but nothing really says it's new, I heard the two songs Go dumb and Hyphy, anyone got links to other artists that do this music?

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Shit you can break it down even futher then that jaydub ,
in florida it goes by city

MIAMI- classic miami bass(luke,69 boys etc.)
TAMPA-juckin music, has a lot of specfic dances like the "city boy"(k-wang, tampa toney,kia, Rated R,jam pony express)
JACKSONVILLE-club music(its a mix between baltimore club music and crunk(DUVAL crawl,set it off etc..)
ORLANDO???(I dont know what they do over their)

Also u forgot bounce. In lousinana and surrounding areas the really dont listen to crunk music, they listen to that fast bounce music, kinda like the jam bands you see during mardi gras(second line). That shit is hot. Mannie fresh uses those drum patterns in his music.

Also in tennesee they are into that slam dancing ish. 3-6 maifa

class...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Class Manni Fresh is so nice with his patterns and the drums he chooses, he has to be the King of Krunk production.....I don't wanna change the subject too much but who were the producers that were members of Master P's Beats by the pound production company?...you go back and listen to a lot of the beats from Cash Money they were some hot beats....but I am not even into Krunk like that man....my lil Sister and my lil Brother were both born and raised in Miami so they introduced me to Krunk like 9 or 10 years ago so I had to learn about it....my brother knows Trick Daddy and grew up in the same hood with him LOL

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:

TAMPA-juckin music, has a lot of specfic dances like the "city boy"(k-wang, tampa toney,kia, Rated R,jam pony express)
JACKSONVILLE-club music(its a mix between baltimore club music and crunk(DUVAL crawl,set it off etc..)

Also u forgot bounce. In lousinana and surrounding areas the really dont listen to crunk music, they listen to that fast bounce music, kinda like the jam bands you see during mardi gras(second line). That shit is hot. Mannie fresh uses those drum patterns in his music.

class...

my boy was asking me the other day, what kind of underground stuff they do in FLA, I told him I would ask you for some names of some new rappers that aint mainstream yet, my expertise stops in ATL, give me a couple names Classic I could do some searching on

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
classic said:
No disrespect to them bay area cats be we have been doing that shit for YEARS!!!

class.......

Class,
The bay has been doing this for YEARS to .... it just never had a name. It's not like we started doing this Hyphy shit because the south had crunk. Believe me, this has been around way before Lil John and all that crunk shit ever became mainstream.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
It's the energy of the music and lyrics combined. The federation is rick rock's group. So if you know rick rock's style of beats then that's what you can expect on the album. To me rick rock has always had a "Timbaland or Neptunes hybrid" sound but he still has his own flavor. it's definitely not anything new by the way the beats sound but then again who is doing anything that sounds different and new anyway??? No one I know. Lets face it, were not reinventing the wheel here. We just put our own twist to it.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:

class...

I like that Second line shit, in the movie "I'm Bout IT" when they have the funeral procession I hear that's an example of second line

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MadScientist said:
It's the energy of the music and lyrics combined. The federation is rick rock's group. So if you know rick rock's style of beats then that's what you can expect on the album. To me rick rock has always had a "Timbaland or Neptunes hybrid" sound but he still has his own flavor. it's definitely not anything new by the way the beats sound but then again who is doing anything that sounds different and new anyway??? No one I know. Lets face it, were not reinventing the wheel here. We just put our own twist to it.

Thanks man you cleared up something for me, I got this DJ VLAD mixtape, and on this track it goes, "with Rick rock beats yeah fellow I'll rock you" or something like that, then in the chorus he keeps saying"hyphy" and gives examples of what's hyphy, and the raps are real fast, hi energy beat, I like go-go better cause I'm a percussionist, and nothing beats those Timbales and congos, but the new guys all they do is yell out down south hooks to gogo beats,

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
jaydub23510 said:
my boy was asking me the other day, what kind of underground stuff they do in FLA, I told him I would ask you for some names of some new rappers that aint mainstream yet, my expertise stops in ATL, give me a couple names Classic I could do some searching on
Here are some local tampa names I can recall , remember though im not up to date. Ive been outta FLA for for almost 2 years and I haven’t lived in tampa since I graduated high school in 99’

-Tampa tony
-Rated R
-DJ demp(he is big in the whole state of florida he is based out of tally)
-Jam pony Express(they are a group of DJ’s that are based in tampa they were mentioned in the “dirtey states of a America DVD)
-City boys

There has to be a lot more cats out now, I just don’t know of them. Every time I go back home im hearing some new ish. Watch out for tampa it will be put on the map soon.

MadScientist said:
Class,
The bay has been doing this for YEARS to .... it just never had a name. It's not like we started doing this Hyphy shit because the south had crunk. Believe me, this has been around way before Lil John and all that crunk shit ever became mainstream.
Slow down scientist ,I didn’t mean it like that, I was just saying how everywhere u go it’s the same stuff with a different spin. That’s all.

bigdmakintrax said:
Class Manni Fresh is so nice with his patterns and the drums he chooses, he has to be the King of Krunk production.....I don't wanna change the subject too much but who were the producers that were members of Master P's Beats by the pound production company?...you go back and listen to a lot of the beats from Cash Money they were some hot beats....but I am not even into Krunk like that man....my lil Sister and my lil Brother were both born and raised in Miami so they introduced me to Krunk like 9 or 10 years ago so I had to learn about it....my brother knows Trick Daddy and grew up in the same hood with him LOL

Ya know, I never got into No limit, I just wasn’t feeling them. I don’t know what it was about them but I just didn’t like em. Honestly, Outside of junivnile and lil-wanye, I was never a big fan of cash money artist’s either(still love those fresh beats though). But I don’t think mannie fresh ever made crunk beats. Crunk is a lot slower and a lot more simplistic. If u listen to mannie , he has a million things going on in his beats and they way he uses the snars give it a bounce feel. Actually there is an underground music seen in N.O called bounce and that’s were mannie started. Crunk music is different, crunk music is basically MIAMI bass slowed down.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Ok Class thanks for that distinction btwn genres...I 4got everything isn't Krunk that comes from South...yeah I never got into the artist of No limit...but anyhow post up some more links to this Hyphy music so I can start getting my criticisms together...LOL

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i'd like to hear some shit... but form the article and pictures it seemed a little "raveish" ... like grown kids wearin sponge bob back packs... and cats driving there cars with all the doors open and gas brake gas brake? ... that sounds pretty gay to me... just like some high school shit to do or something... nah mean

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
Here are some local tampa names I can recall , remember though im not up to date. Ive been outta FLA for for almost 2 years and I haven’t lived in tampa since I graduated high school in 99’

-Tampa tony
-Rated R
-DJ demp(he is big in the whole state of florida he is based out of tally)
-Jam pony Express(they are a group of DJ’s that are based in tampa they were mentioned in the “dirtey states of a America DVD)
-City boys

There has to be a lot more cats out now, I just don’t know of them. Every time I go back home im hearing some new ish. Watch out for tampa it will be put on the map soon.

I agree totally, that was an educated answer my man, In the Scratch mag this month Mannie said he was the only one doing bounce music, A good bounce beat proly the best to me

"BACK THAT THANG UP"