Whats so great about ProTools

ill o.g.
Can somebody tell me why everybody wants to use protools now. What makes it better then hardware, what makes it better then other software programs, and how is it used in conjuction with hardware. I know like 3 different people all tellin me they bout to get protools. I hate usin software and im gonna hafto start learnin this cuz everybodys startin to use this.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Its allows hardware users to get there analog into the digital field with ease.. what makes pro tools good is its ease of use and its hardware (has good converters and such).. its not really better than other Software its just Been adopted my older heads in the game because

1. its what they have been using for over 20 years

2. its a Simple app to use and learn (older people can get it up and running simple) compared to more complexed apps

why would someone wanna use it? well i mean its alot Easier to work with something that everyone has (Major Studio's) this way instead of Bouncing everything down to wav you can just send the Session to the studio

All Studio's are using 1 or all of these apps Pro tools , Logic, Dp

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Well u gotta seperate the question

First i think your asking bout the benfits mixing on software,
personally i think software is better for mixing and masting becasue of its flexabiltitiy. It allows you to easily manuplate your mix etc, and with very little knowlege you can get your mix banging with the pro's. ALso you get instant results and its easy to use.

Protools
People swear by protool becasue of standazation. Cubase can do the same thing, but protools has become the defacto industy standard. there Nothing like being able to save ur session to a CD and be able to open it in any major studio> with protools i can save my session and send it to an engieer to mix over the net. You can do the same thing with other software but again protools is the standard becasue most big name studios use it. So everyone else follows the leader.

You will have to learn mixing son oftware regardless of what program(cubase prottols etc.) Software mixing it aint going nowhere

my 2 cents

class...

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I havent heard a difference between a protool users mix and a cubase users mix.

Good thing is..im a cool edit use..lmao...and i can open that in pro tools at a studio

so its all gravy baby

do you

Once you know one..you just about know em all..

I know Cool Edit, Cubase, Sonar, Ableton, FL, Reason, Protools

No expert - but i can do what i want in em...

and must say Cool Edit Treats Me Better "mixing wise"

and Ableton Treats Me Bettter Beats Wise.

ill o.g.
aright. i guess i get it basically. I know how to mix and all that well. I just start hearin more and more people talkin about it and i feel like im missing somethin. Ill check it out.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nothing missing - just becoming popular...

like air force ones - sure its a good shoe

but you dont NEED em - to be stylish

ya dig

E

Equality 7-2521

there are certain things that other programs can do that pt cant do and vice versa. pt is industry standard for a reason though. i think its because it has always been more tailored to the recording, mixing and mastering process than other programs. also, the layout of protools makes it fucking easy to grasp/use. another aspect contributing to PTs success is its stability. in high end studios, they want as little equipment failure as possible. pt systems have stability like no other, as digidesign make their own software AND hardware, which means they tailor the two to each other so they work seemlessly. one thing alot of people like about PT is its automation features. one thing lots of people dont like about PT is its midi features. im a protools user and have only praise for the program.

also, PT 7 will be coming out real soon (they are up to 6.9), which should shake up the industry. who knows what they have in store for us but its bound to be fucking glorious.

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
pro tools is just something everybody should learn cuz its so standard.

its sort of a trophy of experience too like a mpc. u dont need it, but these are the things that will most likely come to mind when someone asks what u workin' wit. wit some kats, if u usin' it then ur "professional".

ill o.g.
Well I'll just say that ProTool LE systems are not worth the dough...The converters aren't good at all,PT licks balls with midi,plugins are more expensive,hardware is more expensive and you can get better quality with any other program and a decent soundcard.Now as for PT HD/TDM im sure it is all that and bag of chips (better be for 10gs a soundcard,not including the excell packs) but I im sure you nor I have the money or room for a TDM rig.So I think I'll put off PT until I am a "pro" and have the money to do it right,imo LE is worthless.Besides if you mix at home than you'll be saving it as a wave anyway so compatability isn't even a issue.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Damn, it only works with Win98 or ME. That sux for all of us XP users out there.

ghostmusic

ill o.g.
Simplicity

Well enogh people have talked about the flexability of software mixing so I won't get into that. The deal with Pro Tools specificly is that it is Stable and simple. Unlike Logic or Cubase Pro Tools is really just a mixing and editing tool. It isn't really intended as a primary creative program. That's why it is the most used program. All the cats using hardware can get the benifits if digital production without having to deal with all the extras of the other programs. And what it does it does great. Is it the best? In my opinion Logic Cubase and DP have surpased Pro Tools, but in the end they are all great. But if you just want to mix and arrange Pro Tools is on Point!

ill o.g.
Most the people that are tellin me they savin for protools or just got it, i think they feel like if they got protools there gonna be Dre now. Im tryin to tell em, stick with what you got til you get good. Cuz if your shits wack on a 4 track, it probly aint gonna be hot on protools.

I dont know though, ill probly learn it, but i dont think its the kinda thing i could see myself jumpin on the bandwagon to use.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Loose Cannon said:
Most the people that are tellin me they savin for protools or just got it, i think they feel like if they got protools there gonna be Dre now. Im tryin to tell em, stick with what you got til you get good. Cuz if your shits wack on a 4 track, it probly aint gonna be hot on protools.

THats with anything man. OF course your gonna need talent to make something bang no matter what it is. People do the same thing with MPC's newbs hit me up all the time saying they got an MPC now they are gonna make hot tracks.

The thing is, pt is easy to use and its the industry standard. Thats why people swear by it.

P

Protege

I like pro tools, b/c its the best mixing software there is. Its also a great way to mix a song, if you have a mp. I just hook my 2000xl into rpo tools and my mpc is now a slave. so when i press play in pro tools it plays on my mp.

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
pro tools is so great because of how powerful it's sortware engine is....LE versions are great for personal or home use, but once you start getting into big studios, the HD systems have changed the way recording is done completely....

first of all, on HD systems, you never need to worry about your computer slowing down or freezing up because ALL of the ProTools DSP operations are done by the Core Card that comes with an HD system, not your computers processor....if the HD card runs out of DSP, then you can add up to 7 Accel, or Process cards. Not only that, you can have a maximum of 96 audio inputs (HD 3 Accel) in ProTools. When was the last time you we reable to cimultaneously record 96 mic signals on Cubase?? For basic things that most of us are doing, that would never be necessary, but in major studios, when you got clients mixing huge amounts of tracks or Audio-Post sessions with 5.1 surround, nothing can beat it....Not only that, but in an HD setup, you can use hardware inserts, so if you have a nice vintage tube compressor u wanna use, you can do it....Also, all the major companies who develope plugins basically all design them around the TDM, HTDM or RTAS formats that ProTools uses. Lots of companies also make VST plugins which arent supported directly by pro tools, but other software developers have created "wrappers" that convert any VST plugin into an RTAS format, so basically, ProTools will run just about any audio plug in format you can find

Lots of other software companies have programs that can do many of the things ProTools can do, but I can guarantee this, no program will do it as fast, or as efficiently.

But the bottom line is, you gotta work with what's comfortable....If you put your sessions together in Cubase, any studio will still be able to bounce down your tracks, and import to ProTools, so it's not that big a deal, but when working in a studio, it saves engineers lots of time and money by using PT

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
with pro tools you can add tdm cards etc. and it has alot of different controllers which help with the hands on thing... if you are a recording/mixing engineer with dickloads of cash it is good but with 5 gran you'll get a much better setup going with one of the other many options

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
if all the producers in the industry used fruity loops everybody would be saying thats the best too (well alot of them would)

C

Carpe Diem

can i interrupt, and ask...

what actually is pro-tools?!? ive seen it in action etc, but i aint up on music knowledge AT ALL....i just follow my ear lol...

members online