What's the best Software program to get started with?

C

Copenhagen

I'd say it depends what you're gonna do with.
If you are going to add stuff to your beats, and record it on hardware, I suggest Reason.
If you are going to record your hardware and mix it, I suggest ProTools M-Box.
That's out of the 2 you mentioned. There are of course other programs, and these may even suit you better. I use both Reason and ProTools M-Box, and I am very satisfied with both.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
Get pro tools for it's a multitrack. You have hardware to compose music so you need not worry about software that does the samething. Cubase is good too. Yep, with a MPC as one of your weapons I would go with Protools, Cubase, or Sonar. Even Cooledit pro will do.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
an m box wont help much if its being used for audio with her seup... she needs a much bigger interface for all of the inputs she will be using. i say get an aardvark Q10, as it comes with cubase le, which can be upgraded to sx. this way, you have ten pre-amps and a ten channel mixer to go with cubase.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Considering you're hardware biased I'd skip looking at FL, reason or any closed environment ( though Fl isnt as limited compared to reason when hardware is involved due to dashboard, midi out plugins and the fact that FL send midi out). Logic is perfectly suitable in a hardware environment, automation is much easier and the gui is quick to work with. It does take some time to get to know the program but this is partly caused by the options and settings that are neccesary to setup in order to customize an environment to you equipment. By the time you have figured that out you'll know the proggy inside out. Cubase does the same but I find it less convenient in approach to achieving the same things I do with Logic, but that's a personal preference. If you're more likely to be interested in adding vst(i) technology instead of your hardware ( why ? ) than SX will also be suitable since I get the idea that steinberg's aim for the SX release is to make it easy for vst use. Logic is no different on the use of vst(i) beside that it has more features and dedication to hardware.

M-box and protools is a good option though I'd recommend looking into the EMU cards since they practicly offer the same options and specs, except that the I/O have expensive pre-amps ( there's only 2 pre-amps on the Emu break-out box ). Besides, they're cheaper too hehe.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
yah, the emu is actualluy what i will be getting next month. taht may be good as well, however you will likely have to record in two waves t oget all your channels.

with the hardware you got, the only software you need should be a live recording applicatoin ala cubase/logic/pro tools. you are really wasting your money on anything else.

but, i see you have that korg recorder as well. you need nothing in the realm of software.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
like kwantize said get the digi 002, my mentor has it and its tight, mabey i will go steal from him and give it back when i am done. lol

members online