Whats The First Hip Hop Recording?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I know Sugar Hills "Rappers Delight" was the 1st chart topping HipHop/Rap record, but what was the first release? (Still researching though)

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Dope! It was also released a week before sugar hill, preciate it Dac

edit: and 35 singles charted on billboard in 12years, yeesh

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Damn, Markham must've been in the park, watched it develop and hit the studio right up

[Edit] Sidenote: Aftfer a lil research, apparently he was mostly an actor/comedian that did music also

Dope posts, Thanks Dac and Relic and Suc for the laugh lol. I think its all history in different segments, though my initial question is (more than) probably answered already

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
u can trump everyone with Pigmeat.. lol... most young rappers dont even know who Kurtis Blow is.. and ur right, he was a comedian, but that mofo can flow when he has to... and he got his partner on the track doin the back n forth style.

da relic

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Totally off Topic

u can trump everyone with Pigmeat.. lol... most young rappers dont even know who Kurtis Blow is.. and ur right, he was a comedian, but that mofo can flow when he has to... and he got his partner on the track doin the back n forth style.

da relic

right lol Good history lesson though. As far as recording comedy was this style usual? I ask because there are some similarities between him and say a Richard Pryor stand up, though it could just be how you succeed being funny on vinyl.

Pigmeat is about 20yrs of performance on Pryor, it just crossed my mind that it could be the beginnings, I could be completely crazy of coarse

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
True, thanks for posting though

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
lol Ok...if you wanna do it like that then this was the first rap song ever recorded!...this song is by Kinesiska Muren with Swedish artist Evert Taube recorded in the 1920's! Then you had Al Jolson in the 30s followed by Jimmy Dean in the 50s with 'Big John'.

Fatback and King Tim III was the first to be 'recognized' by the music industry as a rap.

The Sugarhill Gang was the first to be recognized as a 'complete' all rap song.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yeah I'll see if I can find a translation for it, but Evert Taube was a really highly regarded folk song artist, probably the highest even until today.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQMFN-whbEU"]African Griots Live - YouTube[/ame]

"Rapping can be traced back to its African roots. Centuries before hip hop music existed, the griots of West Africa were delivering stories rhythmically, over drums and sparse instrumentation. Such connections have been acknowledged by many modern artists, modern day "griots", spoken word artists, mainstream news sources, and academics."

Source: Wikipedia

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Well some of the early forms of spoken word were somewhat rhythmic but that doesn't make them Hip Hop. Hip Hop music was definitely born in the late 1970's (in NYC) with its own vernacular, subject matters, parties, use of vinyl, style of emceeing/deejaying (which was pretty much the same thing in the early days), etc ....

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Man... yall bout to take it to Pre-man ape days when we all were grunting in rhythm. Beating on chests and all grunts rhyme lol