What's the hands down #1 sampler?

Blue77

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
What's good people? I'm new to this site and this is my first post,but i've been peeping it for a minute.I've been making beats on a hobby level since 95/96 .I've been through plenty of samplers ( Mirage,EPS,ASR-X,ASR-X Pro,MPC2000,SP12,SP1200,MPC2000XL,ES MK11,MC 909, S2800). The only samplers I own now are the ones I'm not parting with,the SP1200,MPC2000XL.Well I guess I'll take that back because the MC909 has pads that don't play, after I get that fixed,that will possibly be up for trade/sale cause although I like the effects and all the other fancy shit, I notice I had to turn the output gain to +6 sometimes even +12 to go toe to toe with even the MPC and maybe I'm just picky like that but I like to have alot of headroom volumewise on my samplers .The thing is when I go midi on the SP/MPC ,the MPC cant stand up to the mighty SP soundwise, no matter what I do and I know how to sample at this point.My question is, with EQ's and compressors aside ,what sampler ( besides the ASR's) that anybody's knows FOR A FACT can stand up to the SP soundwise so my mixes don't sound lopsided and I don't have to turn the other sampler way up when I midi up. Hardware only please.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i mean to be honest you've had pretty much every sampler of note lol, i mean maybe you could try and mpc3k or 4k or an mv8000 or 8800 ! the sp has a very unique sound becuase of its conversion rate amongst other things, if that sounds best to you then thats probably the thing you should be using if you like the sp its unlikely you will like any newer samples and the sound is more than likely gunna be a lot cleaner ! if the sp suits you and suits the music you make then just use that.....it's not for everyone but go with what sounds right to you !
i use a 2000xl at the moment and i have the opposite problem to you, when im tracking out my beats anything coming out of the MPC is usally louder than anything else !

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
No sampler stands up to the SP as far as thickness and volume IMO. However, if you got the heart and soul, you can come strong with any sampler. The gear is a very small part of the equation. It's the person using the gear that determines the strength of the song. You got the SP and the MP, get the vinyl out, start sampling, I would say loops/instruments/basslines on the MP, and drums on the SP. that should keep you busy for a while.
My two.
EZ

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Most of the mentioned gear are perhaps good workstations but suck at being a sampler, except for the 4K, thats a high grade sampler 24bit/96kHz with an snrof 120dB (it only starts distorting and adding noise above 120dB measured from the output, input is then mostly equal or a bit lower). Possibly the loudest sampler right now along the Z4/8...aside from the "next generation" samplers I think the line of best samplers are Akai S6000, S3200XL, S1100, Emu E4xt, S750/770...each their own sonic characters...akai always edgey, emu having a nice touch of brilliance and clarity, and the roland for their filters...above all, these sampler have grade a converters, costed a fortune back then and has that tag to it "definition of a quality sampler".

The rest is nostalgia, vintage or functions like a gimmick, doing that one purpose i mean, there's very few that wouldnt work at some time. Software however is something else, i think lots of people forget that the soundcard delivers the quality which makes the quality of software very relative.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
nothing sounds like an sp but an sp ... thats why they are old as hell but still cost alot of money ... an mpc60 is similar ..... an ensoniq eps (original not the 16+) sounds similar as well as they are all 12 bit... its actually the fact that they are worse sounding that makes them sound better if that makes sense. when u sample something into an sp,mpc60 or eps.. it degrades the audio and creates a thick, resonant, lo-fi , crusty sound that sounds great for hip hop .. the newer samplers are much cleaner and more accurate..its all a matter of preference .. as for headroom like format said an mpc4k or z4/8 will give u the most headroom cuz they use 24 bit audio. as for volume, i got the mpc4k and that thing is loud as shit .. i leave the master volume only 1/4 of the way turned up for most of my work... ive never turned it up all the way it would prolly blow my speakers up lol...

in order to get ur volumes straight .. just position the volumes to be in line with the piece of eqipment that has the lowest output .. for example my motif rack has the lowest output of all my gear ... so i adjust the volume of all my gear around that fact .. i keep my ion at about halfway up ... keep my proteus like 3 quarter volume, and my 4k is only at like 1/4 volume..... u have to find the level where all of ur pieces have a equal level and u still got some headroom (dont wanna be clipping) ... once u get it right its almost like a set it and forget type of thing i rarely ever find the need to adjust the volumes... in fact i get mad at my girl sometimes cuz i can tell when she be cleanin my studio and dustin off my equipment and she will fuc up the precise volume balance i have lmao!

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
in order to get ur volumes straight .. just position the volumes to be in line with the piece of eqipment that has the lowest output

Most articles I've read (and the way I do it on my side) is that most mixers have a gain knob for each channel. The volume on every synth/sampler should be turned up all the way, you should set the gain knob on the mixer so the signal is at 0db (bouncy lines, not in the red), then use the fader to adjust the volume of each channel as needed per song. With each piece of gear turned up to max volume you get the highest Signal to Noise Ratio.

Blue77

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Best sampler

Thanks alot for all the info.That's why I look at this forum,but there's no way I can turn the volume of the SP all the way up without distortion.Maybe it's the original grey one I have or something but you just can't do that. I have heard good things about that Z4/8 but why where they discontinued? I've also heard good things about that Emu 4XT.Does anybody own one of these.I guess I should have never gotten rid of the ASR-X,that sampler had some sound on it but the only thing was, my fingers got so tired triming samples with that tiny knob.I will try the max volume,0db,fader control thing with my MPC and Juno, that's sounds like some good advice.

one

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I bought an asrx few months ago for cheap, i dislike drumpads and thinking about modding them. The sequencer has way more features then the mpc which makes it interesting and the sound is spot on indeed.

and you should look up the pad function on mixers, i have the same problem with the atc-1 which is loud as fuck. But, the A&H mixwizard has a pad button enabling -30dB...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Most articles I've read (and the way I do it on my side) is that most mixers have a gain knob for each channel. The volume on every synth/sampler should be turned up all the way, you should set the gain knob on the mixer so the signal is at 0db (bouncy lines, not in the red), then use the fader to adjust the volume of each channel as needed per song. With each piece of gear turned up to max volume you get the highest Signal to Noise Ratio.

that would work ... if i had mixer .. i got my boards running right into my 002... but yeah that would def work..

KidWork

ill o.g.
Well...I have both hardware samplers and software samplers..... I have a lot of experience with this. With Software Samplers you have a huge amount of processing power. That is the main advantage. Hardware Samplers are more Organic...you feel one with the machine.....So now you decide....me personally i like the hardware. Me being a musician...the hardware feels like an instrument. Now I have a Roland Fantom X8 keyboard and an Akai Mpc 2500.....Depending on how you like to get down is up to you.....The Fantom Has more processing power than the mpc...it also has a huge visual color display...This is good when editing the wave forms.....The Problem with the Fantom or any modern keyboard sampler is that certain feateures take a while to get to....this is mainly do to the "All in One Feature"...since it isnt just a sampler it is a keyboard sampler etc...there are many functions so it can get complicated which can slow your work flow.The Mpc on the otherhand is a standalone unit....it is designed for a specific purpose....Sequenceing Midi and Sampling....The Features are right in front of you and it makes the creative process quick and easy....In My Opinion that is the most important thing....Being able to get out your ideas before you forget them.....So to answer your question I feel that Any Mpc is the best Sampler.... The Modern ones can be upgraded more so they r faster but which everone is good....Holla

http://www.youngandgenius.com

KidWork

ill o.g.
what im sayin to sum everything up is that in my opinion the mpc is the best......just the friendliest and fastest for me....if your a good engineer u dont need an sp 1200 to get that grimey sound.....its just nice to have cuz its a famous piece of eqyuipment....aint nothin wrong with that......but at the end of the day its all what your comfortable using

Blue77

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
what im sayin to sum everything up is that in my opinion the mpc is the best......just the friendliest and fastest for me....if your a good engineer u dont need an sp 1200 to get that grimey sound.....its just nice to have cuz its a famous piece of eqyuipment....aint nothin wrong with that......but at the end of the day its all what your comfortable using

Yeah. I agree the MPC is fast & friendly ,that's why I've been using it since 98 and I'm keeping mine.The MPC is a top of the line SEQUENCER ,everybody knows that ,but it has never been the best SAMPLER .There are tons of other samplers out there that can top the MPC's out the box sound,I haven't owned all of them so that's why I asked what's the best sampler.but honestly I've been rocking both the MPC & the MC909 's volumes way up and turning my boards main volume up and I always keep the gain around U and use the faders to control and with my sonic maximizer the results have improved . My next question is ,will it sound just like that when I record into a multitrack recorder ?

deanero

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Akai MPC 2000XL

I gotta go with the classic. The 2000 XL. I don't have it but I have used it and heard lots of feedback on it. It's what all the professional beatmakers use and how they get on the come up. Honestly sampling depends on your style too. You can say FL is a good sampler if you know how to use the tools correctly. I use it all the time and you can't even tell I didn't put it in Real Time. But the 2000 XL is definitely the most mass used out of professional producers so I'd have to say that.

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I personally really love my Akai S6000. I didnt need a sequencer or care for lo-sample rates & 12bit recordings.So it has all the quality,options & features i could ever think of & more.

members online

No members online now.