What's Wrong with my Computer

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
I'm running windows xp and every now and then when I'm getting impatient with my computer, it just flat out shuts off without shutting down. I see a blue screen with white words for about half a second then the screen goes black and starts restarting within 3seconds. The blue screen flashes so fast I can never see what it says. Has anyone ever experienced this? I thought it might be asio4all, because It didn't start happening until I downloaded it, and it always happens when I'm dealing with audio but I can't be sure. I do know I lost a song like this one time and it hurt real bad. I stop getting those automatic microsoft updates because I suspect that they are up to no good, and also experience some problem after installing them. Any suggestions? should I start uploading that micro stuff, or has anyone ever seen that fatal blue screen flash before?

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
you might have a virus and maybe you need to download the updates caus it protects you from certain new viruses i had a simular prob and had to get a new hard drive and i lost mad shit

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Kevin A said:
I'm running windows xp and every now and then when I'm getting impatient with my computer, it just flat out shuts off without shutting down. I see a blue screen with white words for about half a second then the screen goes black and starts restarting within 3seconds. The blue screen flashes so fast I can never see what it says. Has anyone ever experienced this? I thought it might be asio4all, because It didn't start happening until I downloaded it, and it always happens when I'm dealing with audio but I can't be sure. I do know I lost a song like this one time and it hurt real bad. I stop getting those automatic microsoft updates because I suspect that they are up to no good, and also experience some problem after installing them. Any suggestions? should I start uploading that micro stuff, or has anyone ever seen that fatal blue screen flash before?

Sounds like the dreaded, "Blue Screen of Death". This is not good. Very, very bad. I'de PM Class and ask for advice man. Me, I'm a network guy, so I can't give any advice besides,,, Back up and perform a Clean Install of Windows.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
LOL yea stress you beat me too it, the dreded "blue screen of death", this can be many issues,
From drivers to bad motherboards, IT also can be a sign that ur harddrive is failing(please back up now)

Lets start with a check list

Be patient some of these questions may be basic

1st,
you said this happend when u installed an asio driver, did this EVER happen before then. IF not have u been to the website and researched differnt problems other folks have had with this driver??
Do u have the correct driver and the most recent (no beta version)

2nd
How old is your computer, what other major programs do u have installed.

3rd,
when was the last time u did a clean install, have u run any registry cleaining programs.

4th - if u havent allready for god sakes back up on stable media(CD or DVD)

5- I hate it too but u should definaly run microsoft update. Now there has been some issues with servrice pack2 but those should be resloved.

Man seriously when ur dealing with music applications(and other powerful programs) the regeistry gets clogged up with all types of stuff. I find that i usually do a clean install on my computers every 3 to 6 months to keep things running smoothly

clas....

T

The Bastard

Kevin A said:
you lucky u at least get too see sum words be4 itshuts down, mine just goes black and restarts, sumtimes i wish i got a mac

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
LOL fade we should have a "computer troubleshooting" area on illmuzik

OK there are so many things that can be going on, I would really have to see your BIOS also.
BUt kevin get back at me with those answers and i will see what i can do. BUt it may just be best for a fresh re-install anyway. Its like an oil change for computers

classs...

FYI This is classic windows problems, there is a reason why most servers run UNIX/LINUX. I have had this problem also, and the main thing is to back up often(once a week) casue u never know with windows.(I keep my files on my linux box)

Tha1AndOnlyDJT

DJ Will Kill
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
it sounds like it is overheating. i moved my soundcard to close to my vid card once and that happend. right in the middle of mixing a track in Adobe Audition. make sure that all of your fans are working and are dust free. make sure you space out your pci cards if you can. also make sure you have your pc in a well ventelated area. i always keep my desktop on a desk. never on the floor. your powersupply could be going out too. how long have you had this computer?

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
I had this problem a couple weeks ago i got a new laptop for production and a new sound card and when i installed the drivers it started happening i unistalled the driver went to the website and got the updated driver and havent had a problem since..

Peace

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
In order to read the blue screen, you need to first disable Automatic Restart. Do this:

1. Click Start Button
2. On the Start Menu click Control Panel
3. When the Control Panel window opens click on the System icon
4. The system properties window opens
5. Click the Advanced tab
6. In the Advanced tab window locate the Start and Recovery section and press the Settings button
7. When the settings window opens look for the System failure section
8. Remove the check mark from the Automatically Restart option
9. Click OK to Exit

Then you can do a search on Microsoft for the error message you see. :thumb:

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
defrag, format disk, reinstall xp, install ya proggies, make a ghost...

dont go on the net before you made the ghost.

make upgrade and make new version ghost backup with every succesfull s/w upgrade.

Now when you have a fuck up system you load up the ghost to go back to proper/initial state.

Have enought memory, get enough virtual memory.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
Ok Fade I unchecked the auto-restart, I also noticed that Write an event to the system log was checked- does that mean that windows has documented this so I came pull up the problem?

Class I really can't be sure if it happened before I installed asio driver, I think it would be after though. I like the driver alot though.

MAJORSOFTWARE
fl4 &5
MACROMEDIA BUNDLE
PHOTOSHOP7/ PREMIERE/AUDITION

My computer is about a year 1/2 old
sony vaio P4 2.80 labtop
512mb ddr sdram
soundmax soundcard

I don't know if these are registry cleaning programs but I've runned Spybot,microsoft anitspyware, and norton antivirus. I have one know virus norton keeps finding which is the bloodhound but it's located in the microsoft antispyware folder in the cleaner.log and I can't do nothing with that, I guess it's a mistake or something.

I'll be back with the list of microsoft updates I haven't installed. Another thing is when I 1st bought my computer, the store tech installed some kind of fix on my computer right away, he said it fix a whole in the operating system, that's one reason why I have even looked into reinstalling my OS. I'm running XP home edition. THankx for the feedback, I will be backing up to dvd.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
Background intellegent transfer service is the only update they are offering now. and I got about 7 hotfixes install that Can see in my add remove programs section

I also just unistalled 2 versions of asio4all, and installed the latest version 2.8.
the next time I have the conflict, hope I'll be able to see with help from Fade.

I need that asio, it keeps my Flstudio singing like a bird, that is until it flies into the window thinking it's the sky. But it doesn't happen too often. another thing, are memory leaks fatal?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Did you do a search on Microsoft's site? Enter the exact message you're getting, you should see something. It happened to me a long time ago and that's what I did, it guided me in the right direction.

Yes, it should have a log somewhere if it's checked off, if I'm not mistaken.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
As for the error message, I've never been able to make out a word because it happens so fast, hopefully I'll see it the next time with these new settings.

How do I find that log?

9zeros

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
if youre running xp you could do a system restore to a few weeks ago..........or the last point you knew that your comp was running well

Anubis-Ra

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Word I had the same problem. Said it was a software or hardware driver that was causing it. All of the above suggestions worked for me.