whats your life like??

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
long story short...

after seeing 'sicko' by michael moore i'm looking at options of other countries to live. i'm not entirely sold on leaving america but i am VERY interested in the other options out there. my 3 picks right now are: the UK, France, and Australia. I know there are plenty of brits on here. not so many french or aussies, but anyway. tell me the good and the bad of living where you are. as it pertains to cost of living, available jobs, healthcare, housing prices, racism and general acceptance of americans invaders as it were. any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
damn thas mad brave man...i wanna do that but i dont think i just just bounce on my family..its not outta the country but i wanna go to college in Hawaii after i do my 2 years at my county college

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
merc thats dope man I myself am going to move back down to CHILE maybe Feb or March of '09. this will be my second time but this time it will be for about 1 year or maybe 2....

Its interesting and beautiful down there...

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
damn thas mad brave man...i wanna do that but i dont think i just just bounce on my family..its not outta the country but i wanna go to college in Hawaii after i do my 2 years at my county college

if you wanna go, then go. any good family will support your efforts to experience something new and better yourself. and if they aren't supporting you, its probably because they would miss you a lot. i was living in baltimore for 7 years and when my kids were getting around school age, i realized i had to get them out of there. 75% of black males in bmore don't make it out of high school. i left everything i knew and was accustomed to and bounced to north carolina. it was hard. my wife cried every now and then being away from her family, but eventually you settle in and enjoy it. my kids can go outside and play without me worrying about herouin junkies and god knows who attacking them. they can focus on their education rather than worrying about lead in the water and mold and mildew in the roof and thugs hanging outside the school. thats the same reason i'm thinking of leaving the country. a lot of other countries treat their citizens better than we do in america. especially when it comes to healthcare and vacation time. i've never taken a real vacation. any vacation time i had, i usually cashed in and paid bills or couldn't afford to use. in france you get 5 weeks paid vacation BY LAW!! regardless of where you work. in britain and australia, its 4 weeks. its just hard struggling day to day when you can't afford insurance to heal yourself or take a vacation to recharge your batteries. i just need some rest. lol. its a shame i have to move thousands of miles away to do it.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
its a shame i have to move thousands of miles away to do it.

I have a couple of buddies that have done this. One guy moved to Mexico and now he is moving to Russia and another one of my boys is moving from Germany to Korea. Basically because the wanna try other countries to see if they like it better than the US.

I can't see myself doing it. I am scared to death to live in another country.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Merc; I'm just heading out the door to work but when I get back I'll give you a write up on Australia. This is my second time living in China and I've decided to head back home to Aus for good. Didn't realise how good I had it.

What skills, experience, qualifications do you have?

samuelock

I want Funnel Cake.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
the good thing about where i live (suburbs in a mostly white, upper/middle class area) is that i have everything i could ever really need, and i even have some luxuries.

the bad thing is that being this spoiled has subliminally made me soft since childhood, and now that i'm facing some hardships, i take everything like a whiny little baby punk, and i hate how soft i am.

woohff

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
+:
. Education (basicly free or quite well supported by government until you have a job)
. Health care (basicly free or you have to pay for like 50 euros for year in case u happen to need a doctor {this counts only minor sickness :D })
. Quite small cities (not so much crime etc.)
. People (Majority of the younger people here are quite good folks and don't mind the color of your skin)

-:
. People (There is small group of them blind people who are racist in minor and major forms, sad but true)
. I don't know how easy it is to get a job as a foreigner if you don't know the language and if you're not well educated.
. It's not easy or cheap to get a place to live around the capital city (then again if u like to live in a smaller town it's quite cheap)

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Hey first of all best of luck with this,

Have you looked into Canada? There are some great cities up north (Vancouver is beautiful) and you shouldn't have too many problems with acclimating to a completely new culture or having to learn a new language. There's also the advantages of health care as well as governmental cut backs (plus cheap housing) which you might be looking for.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Alright then; first I should remind you that "Sicko" is a film with an agenda so it's somewhat one-sided. Also being Australian I'm probably biased so take what I say with a grain of salt.

So, education is free from kindergarten to high school, (there may be some small service charges but nothing to be too concerned about). University is subsidised by the government for Australian citizens and permanent residents so you pay only a fraction of the cost. Also Australian citizens can get a government loan for their fees which is paid back as a percentage of your wage. There's no interest on that and you can take as long as you want to pay it. Also students 16 years and older are eligible for government benefits depending on their parents income. Students over the age of 25 can get benefits based on their own income and net worth. It's enough to live on but not much more.

Health care is completely free including major operations, hospital stays etc. Some elective surgery may have a long waiting list though. Dental care is not included in that, but for minor work the costs are not prohibitive. I think the last time I went to the dentist to have a tooth removed cost me about $30 or so. Universal health care is the shit.

Unemployment benefits are available for permanent residents and citizens also. There is no time limit for these but if a person is on the dole for a year or more they will have do take part in courses run by the government or get special assistance, (basically someone who looks for jobs for you or helps you to apply for jobs). Some people may end up having to work for the dole, (which kinda sucks but you could be lucky and get on the job training), the hours are calculated at minimum wage level so you only work for what you get paid not any more than that, (maybe 20 hours a week or less).

Crime rate is generally a lot lower than the States and UK. Some area are not so great but nothing is comparable to the worst of those two countries. There are some areas with drug problems, (mostly heroin and ice), but if you choose not to live in those areas then it's basically very safe.

Finding a job can be an issue which is why I asked what your skills or qualifications are. Some skills are in short supply so for a person with those skills finding a job would be quite easy. If you're not fussy then there's always lot's of crappy jobs in factories, or labouring but that's not really desirable. One issue in immigrating to Australia is getting the visa. It's usually based on what skills you have or how much money you're willing to invest. You can find out more at the Australian government website for the department of immigration. It was www.immi.gov.au but it may have changed. I'll check it later or you can do a google search.

The cost of living is fairly high but not as high as Europe and wages are generally commensurate. Housing costs have risen a lot in the past few years so they are relatively high. I think an average wage is roughly $40,000 to $50,000 a year but a lot of people earn less than that. Like I said, if I know what you do I can give you more info. The cost of a house in Melbourne, (Sydney is a lot more expensive), ranges from about $250,000 in the outer suburbs through to $400,000 closer in or more. It depends what you want and where.

As for racism, it does exist of course but it's not the issue it is in other parts of the world. Generally, people are accepted regardless of their background. As for being an American invader, funnily enough being black is an advantage there, (not that being white is going to get a man in trouble or anything). I guess the negative perception of some Americans, (i.e. thanks to Bush), is reserved for whites. basically what I mean is: if you're down to earth and don't take yourself too seriously, people will respond positively to you.

I could say a lot more and if you have more questions, please ask. If you want to go into more detail PM me and I'll give you my contact details. Good luck.

spartan265

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
why isnt africa one of your options? im greek by decent but i grew up in Malawi (south central africa - just north of the republic of South africa) .. its not as bad as CNN makes it out to be.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
No diss but I think he's looking for somewhere with a lower crime rate and more government benefits, i.e health care etc not the other way around.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
pros and cons of living in France ( and more specifically Paris)

Pros: fairly high salaries, lots of vacation (as much as 8 weeks a year if you have seniority), solid education system, short work week (legal 35 hours limit for non managerial positions), laidback lifestyle, multicultural environment, universal healthcare.

Cons: high crime rate, ''invisible'' racism (esp at work), high unemployment rate, mastery of French a must (esp outside of Paris)

source: I' m half French , lived 15 years in Paris.

London is a city full of opportinities and truly is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world.
The cost of living here is very expensive though, compared to other places in the world. But if you work inside london you get an extra allowance on your income to cover the higher cost of living.
I feel very lucky to live here, although there are many things Im not happy about, I dont think Id want to be anywhere else.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
haha, go to switzerland merc. they have good job opportunities, pay fantastic money, talk all languages, good working healthcare, a motivated hiphop scene and its only a stonesthrow to france, italy, spain, germany and even the uk is only about an hour away by plane, which is cheap in europe.
are you speaking french ? france can be a cultural shock and frustrating if youre french is not fluent and up to date. if it is id suggest french swiss. well, UK would be yours in cultural terms 2, right...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
+:
. Education (basicly free or quite well supported by government until you have a job)
. Health care (basicly free or you have to pay for like 50 euros for year in case u happen to need a doctor {this counts only minor sickness :D })
. Quite small cities (not so much crime etc.)
. People (Majority of the younger people here are quite good folks and don't mind the color of your skin)

-:
. People (There is small group of them blind people who are racist in minor and major forms, sad but true)
. I don't know how easy it is to get a job as a foreigner if you don't know the language and if you're not well educated.
. It's not easy or cheap to get a place to live around the capital city (then again if u like to live in a smaller town it's quite cheap)

well off I go to learn finnish, cuz that sounds pretty good!

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Me and the wife been toyin around wit actually thinkin bout movin outside the US should Mccain take office. She has cousins in Aruba, and I have an IT background so I'm sure I can get a job out there. Housing is affordable and my inlaws said they would move too if we did, so thats a plus. I don't know, I love this country, but the current government is starting to become a dictator ship.