What's Your 'Personal' Top-5 Albums?

B

Big La

What's Your 'Personal' Top-5 Albums? They don't have to the 'greatest' albums. Just the ones you've bumped the most for some reason.

PERSONAL FAV'S:

5. "Midnight Marauders" - A Tribe Called Quest

4. "Internal Affairs" - Pharoahe Monch

3. "Resurrection" - Common

2. "It Takes A Nation Of Millions..." - Public Enemy"

1. "Nocturnal" - Heltah Skeltah

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Digable Planet - Reachin' ( new time n space ).
Jeru - Sun rises in the East
De la Soul - Three feet high n rising
Gangstar - Hard 2 Earn
Beatjunkies - Vol.1 ( in the mix )

P

Prosper

Dr. Dre- The Chronic
Jay-Z- Reasonable Doubt
Nas- Illmatic
Notorious B.I.G.- Life After Death
Capone and Noreaga- The War Report
honorable mention (honestly couldn't decide, they all classic)
Mobb Deep- The Infamous
Jay-Z- The Blueprint
Notorious B.I.G.- Ready 2 Die
Nas- It Was Written
Ghostface Kila- Ironman
2pac- All Eyez On Me
Dr. Dre- 2001
50 Cent- Power Of The Dollar (unreleased)
Blackstar- Defintion?? I forgot the name lol
Wu-Tang Clan- Enter The 36 Chambers
R.Kelly- R. (double cd)

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Beastie Boys-Check your head
Public Enemy-It take a nation...
Aphex Twin-Richard d. James album
Bjork-Homogenic
El-p - Fantastic Damage

The last two could change but it's what I think now. It would be different tomorrow.

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Brand Nubian--one for all
Da la Soul--Da la soul is dead
Outkast--Stankionia(all albums just picked the most recent one)
LL cool J--I'm bad
B.I.G--Ready to Die

not in any order

T-Dash

Fo-net-ic-ly Spee-kin
ill o.g.
Hmmm...I think my top 5 would prolly consist of...

1) Nas - Illmatic
2) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
3) Cunninlynguists - Southernunderground
4) Eminem - Slim Shady LP
5) Method Man and Redman - Blackout

(not in any real order)

Rob-Les

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hard to answer, but off the dome here's my top 5:

5. Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
4. Big Pun - Yeah Baby!
3. Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers (tie Raekwon - Only Built...)
2. Dr. Dre - The Chronic 2001
1. Nas - Illmatic

C

Copenhagen

Why...why do you all choose as you do? What makes each of the albums you mention special? Just listing names of albums, and repeating yourselves, is an unintersting read and a bore.
Sorry for coming down on you all but I'm really tired of the neverending threads where people just list names...

stabster

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Here are those i've been playing most lately,
Aesop rock - labour days, aesop rock is an outstanding lyricist, and blockhead on the beats.
Sage francis - Personal journals, also a great lyricist, plus alot of talented producers appear on his album(sictoo, alias etc)
Atmossphere - lucy ford. Probably my favorite mc, slug, and although i think ant's beats can get boring, its a great album.
El-p - fantastic damage, I just love this album.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Originally posted by inrctyhoodmusic
I think it should be changed to the top 10 or 15 albums because five is not enough

NO!!!! LOL, man we're gonna end up with these huge-ass meaningless posts. Like Copenhagen said, give a reason WHY you choose the albums you do. What's the point of just listing them?

For me it's tough. Off the top of my head (in no particular order):

1-Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
This came out at a time when rap was at its finest. Something about all those mashed up sounds blended together, and the message behind everything really stands out for me.

2-Compton's Most Wanted - Music To Drive-By
I've always been a big fan of CMW, DJ Slip is very underrated. This is my favorite among the "gangsta" rap, if that's what you want to call it. Hard, yet smooth beats with raps about murderin' fools... dope.

3-Mobb Deep - Infamous
Straight heat on this! Production on this really stands out, the lyrics make me wanna beat someone's ass, and the time it came out had a big impact.

4-Gangstarr - Daily Operation
Primo really showed his skills on this one, so many classic cuts off of this.

5-Outkast - ATLiens
Such tight production on this, and so many classics from this LP. You can't front on this album at all, this is their best work IMO.

T-Dash

Fo-net-ic-ly Spee-kin
ill o.g.
Funnily enough....I was gonna give reasons but figured no one would be interested in my commentaries...well, I'll re-do mine then!!!

1) Nas - Illmatic
Its a classic album, what can I say? The Source gave it 5 mics before the lowest mic rating you could get was 4 and a half (The Source sucks now!). Stunning debut album with hard beats that got your head thumping and lyrics that made you think, they were nice and gritty but with a poetic twist. I loved everything about this album. Best track: Lifes a bitch (feat. AZ)

2) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
Completely blaze! One of the first albums I got. I love it, still one of the best albums in stores to buy. Such a fresh group of styles coming together to produce tracks that you could really bang to. Hard lyrics, wit and genius quotables topped with high quality RZA style beats....makes me wanna listen to it right now! Best track: Shame on a nigga

3) Cunninlynguists - Southernunderground
Brilliance is the only word to describe this album. I can in fact only list a load of superlatives to describe just how good this album is. If you don't have it...BUY IT! Kno is prolly one of the dopest producers in the world, every beat is spectacular. Deacon, SOS and Kno all come strong with clever song concepts and mind blowing lyrics. This album is just amazing. Best track: Old School (or) Seasons (feat. Masta Ace)

4) Eminem - Slim Shady LP
I'd say this was his best album. This was when I feel Eminem was really on point...he was spitting his "I don't give a fuck" attitude lyrics with a sick sense of humour. His more recent stuff seems to be more of a social commentary or shots at the music industry. I miss the days when he'd spit some non-sensical shit. The beats were nice, some good story telling, clever lyrics and he introduced me to Royce da 5'9"...love this album. Best track: Bad meets evil (feat. Royce) (or) Guilty Conscience (feat. Dr.Dre)

5) Method Man and Redman - Blackout
If you wanna wild out and tune into some typical Meth and Red style hillairty, this album is what you need. I love it, always will and will always bump this! Lyrics are on point at all times and their styles complement each other so well. Just generally a hot album...get your ass some sun block for this one! Best track: Blackout (or) How High

There we go...you may agree with me or disagree with me...I don't care...these albums are hot. (btw: if you disagree with me....your wrong)

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Ok

Smif N Wessun: Da Shinin' - Classic shit, so many killers on this album, straight up at the peak of the beat miners production. Personal favs on the album include K.I.M and Hellucination.

Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded - KRS in his prime, pure classic cuts in this including the infamous "The Bridge is Over" and "South Bronx"

Pete Rock and Cl Smooth - Main Ingrediant - Definetly some of my favorite PR and CL tracks appear on this album.. Hard knockin beats that el have you bangin your head.

O.C - Jewelz - I really loved this album because of the variety of beats. O.C really complimented each track well. Favs include the title track, and The Crow

Main Source - Breaking Atoms - Large P brought a new flavour to the music... don't really need to say much about this album.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'll post some commentary on my list cause my choices seems different

<b>Beastie Boys-Check your head</b>
That classic beastie is really paul's boutique but there is something in the feel of this album. It kind of sound natural in some way. I know all the lyrics by heart. I guess I have listened this album at least twice as much as any other record ever made.

<b>Public Enemy-It take a nation...</b>
Really the best Public Enemy album. They are so incredible. This was (and it still is) more hardcore than alot of hiphop and/or rock album. Hardcore doesn't meen stupid tho. And this album was a step ahead of most hiphop album of the time 'cause of this intelligence (in the lyrics and in the beats too).

<b>Aphex Twin-Richard d. James album</b>
It's not hiphop. But this album (and other warp releases) influenced some hiphop artist like prefuse73 or DJ Shadow (some track on the new shadow sound aphex twinish to me...). Anyhow, this album redefine what beat is for me. Now I see the beat as a melodic entity not just as rythme. This album is also very personal and emotional, two word not generaly associeted with electronic record.

<b>Bjork-Homogenic</b>
Bjork is such an excellent artist. This is my favorite of her album. Emotion, technology and old school orchestra.

<b>El-p - Fantastic Damage</b>
When this album came out last summer, I just discovered that there was other hiphop things beside what media or big label show you. For me this record represent an equilibrium of experimentalism, emotion, lyrics, beat, hiphop, non-hiphop influences, guest, rawness (I don't think this word exist?), old school hiphop. It is the proof for me that there is something really good in hiphop today. In fact, underground artist like El-p, for me, are far more interesting then most of mainstream hiphop today.

I don't really know why there isn't 36 chamber or return to the 36 chamber on my list but 5 choice is not much...

D

DJ Equity

1) Nas-illmatic
2) DMX- Its dark and hell is hot
3) BIG-Ready to die
4) 2pac-still i rise
5) Dre-2001

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
Nas - Illmatic