What's Your 'Personal' Top-5 Albums?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
here are mine, in no particular order.

-Fugees, The Score
say what you want, but NO album has made the overall impact that this one has. over ten million sold worldwide, gave the underground a taste of its own sound blowing up HUGE on radio and mtv, provided commentary- intelligent commentary without selfrighteousness- and in general made one of the most brilliant albums EVER. this one trancended genres.

-Nas, Illmatic
Yeah, i know- this one is on several lists. who cares? it was relevant to the moment..... if there was ever an album where the artsist "kept it real", this was it. No bangin or slangin on wax, just details of the world around him at the time. i must say that while his other albums had moments, none are anything close to classics....

every album by canibus. everything he has released has been nothing short of amazing. this is the greatest hip hop artist ever- hands down. period. if you think otherwise, you MUST be stupid. if you dont agree with me, then it looks like i am talking to you.

ok.....back to reality.

-Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar
great beats, great lyrics, great subject matter, this whole frickin album was the epitome of the term "skills". absolutely everything. anyone heard "twice inna lifetime"? this song is essentially a NICE cypher session caught on tape..... resperation, brown skin lady, definition, re:definition.... this was a masterpiece that was overlooked by many and still largely unknown. (i'm sure most of you here at least know of it.)

this one probalbly wot count, but.......
-about 2/3 of Soundbombing 2
i have yet to here any underground compilation (or any compilation for that matter) that matches some the overall depth of the jewels on this album. besides the fact that it laid claim to several classic underground bangers, these being common, sadat x, and hi-tek's 1-9-9-9, mos and hi-tek for universal magnetic, kweli and hi-tek (along with bahamidia) on chaos, eminems anyman, and el-p's patriotism, this was the album that proved to be the jumpoff of these artists going to the next level.. mos a nd kweli both went gold with their subsequent albums, common got real close to gold with his, and el-p pretty much owns the underground right now. need i say more?

last and certainly not least is outkast's Atliens...
nothing but classics, yada, yada, yada... this album was actually very simple in terms of production.... but sometimes less equates to more. the sound of this album just can not be duplicated. they had so much to say on this album and it was all loud and clear. also, this is the only album i can think of that actually topped is classic predecessor. it was and remains their greatest achievement. (aquemini, minus, oh, 4 songs, is right on its heels.)

there. i gave my justification for each.

M

metrosoul

HERE'S MY LIST OF ALBUMS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.

ILLMATIC
MIDNIGHT MARAUDERS
MOMENT OF TRUTH
LABCABINCALIFORNIA
INFAMOUS

M

metrosoul

WHY DOESNT ANYONE LIST PHARCYDE?

THE PHARCYDE WAS PROBABLY ONE OF THE TOP 5 BEST RAP GROUPS EVER. AND FOR SOME REASON IT SEEMS PEOPLE ALLWAYS LEAVE THEM OUT.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
the reason pharcyde doesnt get a mention is that they werent a real consistant force. bizarre ryde and labcabin were nice (yo mama!!) but i think there was a missing element to both of those that prevented them from obtaining true classic status.... 5 mics or 2, a classic defines it self over time... now passin me by, the song itself is a much different story. THAT was a classic in every sense of the word. can anyone here do production like that? i'd like to hear it if you do....

M

metrosoul

h\Hey truth, i hear what your sayin. As far as production goes, just wait for the beat comp after this one.

members online