What's your process

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Once you'eve copped you finds how do you search for your sample.
Do you just listen to the first few bars?
Do you listen to the whole song through?
Do you just skip through the song?
What you preference?

Me I will most times listen for the first few bars, just to see if that golden intro is there.
And depending on how the song sounds i may listen to the whole thing. What about yal?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Sometimes I listen to the whole song...especially if think it has a break......you gotta go at least that far...no fast fwd....LOL...but anyhow.......I am always amazed though a the amount of stuff that I sometimes randomly buy that has been sampled already...its crazy

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
I usually jus listen to the intro, but im gonna start listening to the whole track so I dont miss anything.

Peace

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
samplers first mistake is to listen only to the intro ! i used to do it and thats kewl as you find a lot of good stuff at the start but just listen through it and you'll be amazed its funny who many people listen to like the first 10 seconds of a record and then go nah thats shit on to the next one !
i used to do that but you gotta put the time in a listen ! and listen twice ill just be bored at some point and sit in my room and just chill and put the records on then if i hear something ill sample it and go to work on it !

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yeah i feel u mark....Im tha type also that likes to sit down and listen to the ENTIRE record, front-to-back.
Ill go through each record like that and sample each song and then invintory them away for later.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
when i get a new record i listen thru the whole record a couple of times to get an overall feel of the types of sounds on the record.

then when im actually sampling im listening only to the tracks that sound the dopest, and sampling the parts from there.

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You gotta listen to the entire piece. Back in the day they had change ups and all kinds of solo's, you definitely are gonna miss something. Even if you get the bomb intro, listen to the entire song/album to feel the vibe of the track. You may end up using different parts from one song ala 'MISS FATBOOTY'.

Yo, it's called diggin for a reason, you gotta put in the time and work to create that diamond.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
disect the whole track, or the whole theme within a track...take as much material out of it as possible. I mostly end up with like 10 to 15 slices from a particular theme, sometimes 3 because it's a phrase loop. In all the goal for me is to find as much usefull material from the same recording so I am able to make one track out of it.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
You've gotta listen to the whole track fo' sho'. I've come to find that out from listening to tracks from cats like Premier. I like to check out whatever records these cats use and see where and what they took from the record. You'd be amazed at how deep some of them actually go inside the record to get that one dope ass piece.
ONE

zone

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i can recognize a hot sample just by looking at the grooves on the record. it's pretty much automatic.

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
zone said:
i can recognize a hot sample just by looking at the grooves on the record. it's pretty much automatic.

Word thats how I do it. I play the first part and look for breaks and change ups according to the patterns of the grooves.

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I can just LOOK at the vinyl grooves and tell whether it will be good music or not... which leads to a good sample or not.

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I see.... I generally just listen to the first part of the song and needle drop through out the track. I just wanted to know for the most part. Always good to try different techniques.

Maknbeats

Back to Work
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 56
I allways listen to the intro and the last part of the song cause you know that those 2 parts are going to be the strongest parts of the song, but if i really like the intro i will usually listen to teh whole song. And sometimes when songs are bad too i'll still listen to the whole song, i'm allways affraid that i'm going to miss something that could of been real hott!!

Hectic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I usually just listen to the intro and the outro of the song when I'm looking for samples, but some of the best sounds I've found are when I'm just sitting back listening to the record and things will just jump out at me. I'll then turn on all my gear and get working on a beat from there.

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
sometimes i'll pull a song randomly and just fuk wit it just to see if i can make somethin out of it. and a lotta times i can. I feel like i can make a beat out of any song its just about how creative you can be with it yours skills with choppin and droppin drums and bass lines. Try dat shyt you'll amaze yourself sometimes.