when does sampling = stealing?

• Thread starter Equality 7-2521
  • Start date

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't think you're quite getting it...

True -- majority of hip-hop, period, is sampled. That doesn't mean thats the only way hip-hop can be done -- its not the only way it exists.

True -- Jazz artists do, in fact, do something similar -- But, just like we get permission of use, so do Jazz artists. (If they plan on making a profit from it)

And 05. seconds, 1, 2, 5, 20, seconds, the whole damn song -- doesn't matter how long the sample is and it doesn't matter how much you dismantle and distort it beyond recognition, still -- it has to be cleared (If you're planning on making a profit from it). And trying to distort beyond recognition is not respecting the original song or artists -- you're just trying to get away with stealing, thats all.

Now, just because you get a Motif, Triton, or whatever. Doesn't really make you a musician, per say (maybe if you're doing live performances with it or something). But if you use it in such a manner in your music, it'd be more so a composition.
For example, I play the Bass guitar -- a real one (Blue Fender P-Bass Jazz). I sometimes record a riff or more for a production. Does that make me a musician? Not necessarily.(I used to be) especially not when I just do a riff or two and loop it. Does that mean I'm sampling? No. I just made my own sample, just like when people make they're own drum samples or any other samples. Well if I'm not sampling, and I'm not a musician then what did I just do? Well even though it may not sound as complex as most usually end up sounding, and probably isn't played through the entire song or anything, it would more so be composing than anything else....

Sampling isn't hip-hop's survival.
And you may not fell guilty about not clearing samples -- I'm not trying to change that: but that is, in fact, Grand Theft Audio. ;) lol

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
[Something I posted ages ago in a similar sort of thread....]

"I think, if you chop a melody into individual notes then compose your own new melody out of that then you've composed it - and I also think that if you're taking, for a example, a chord progression from one record then getting other notes and phrases from other records to fit that partciular chord progression then I'd consider that composing too.

The only difference, in my mind at least, is your composing with sounds you've found. (Which as Dantson said, is what pretty much everyone is doing [with their keyboards/sound modules] unless they're playing the instrument themselves or synthetically creating their own sounds)."

O

open mind

wtf are u guys talking about stealing samples and shit where do u thing the sounds from the motif,tritons,fantoms, come from`?!=? haahah damn right its SAMPLED so wtf is your point

again and again hiphop without samples is a NO NO! end of story.if u dissing the whole hiphop creators saying they aint musicians and stuff like dat then u dont respect hiphop so why are u at illmuzik? haha.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
wtf are u guys talking about stealing samples and shit where do u thing the sounds from the motif,tritons,fantoms, come from`?!=? haahah damn right its SAMPLED so wtf is your point

again and again hiphop without samples is a NO NO! end of story.if u dissing the whole hiphop creators saying they aint musicians and stuff like dat then u dont respect hiphop so why are u at illmuzik? haha.

Then Explain "The Roots" ....*expaltive deleted*

O

open mind

djs created hiphop enuff said oh and the place was BRONX.very important pioneers *note* WITHOUT samples was afrika bambata.

ROCK ROCK TO THA PLANET ROCK DONT STOP!

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
i don't think hip hop will die without samples it may have started with breaks but i doubt it will end if there not used

O

open mind

i don't think hip hop will die without samples it may have started with breaks but i doubt it will end if there not used

agree 100% i mean theres no doubt samples are a big part of hiphop culture.but at the end of the day chopping and rearanging of the sample aint that composing too? i would say yes.if its hot its hot no matter what composed sampled or wuteva.its all good.

do you and let others do them.tolerance is the word.

peace.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
if you take the sampling out of the hiphop you'd be left with 95% crappy beatz and 5% who can afford to have something properly mixed. Aside from that, hiphop at its best is back in the days, hence why people are talking bout them days, todays and yesterdays generation x are stuffed with a fraction of the old skool compared to todays beats...

Then Explain "The Roots" ....*expaltive deleted*

Im with him. Even tho hiphop is 80 or 90% sampled it doesnt have to be that way. James Brown never had any samples, yet he is probably the most sampled artist for use in hiphop, all live band. I think music is so deep that there is no real way of doing things, its all experimentation, before I became a member here I didnt think sampling was necessary, but I found out it does make a difference for hiphop. It has its benefits as does composing, but sampling in any form if to be used for making money must have sample clearance - end of.