When It Comes to Today's Music, What ONE Thing Frustrates You The Most?

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
I don't like that hip hop music really isn't skills or creativity based, it's marketing based so everything we hear isn't the purist. Just like with breakdancing FEW people know about BOTY Battle of The Year and other REAL breaking crews and shows, but the REAL is about 100X better than the pop version of breakdancing same with mainstream hip hop. Yes it's hard to recognize CREATIVITY and SKILL even for people in the culture sometimes, like when the 1st Japanese breakdancing crews started doing circus stunts in their routines the OG breakers would be like "what is that?!" in a bad way. But now EVERY crew does them. Just an analogy, but basically a crew comes along that does something different with skills in hip hop music, then for years after that everyone tries to copy them and the music sounds the same:

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's just like you said, it's the marketing aspect of it, which has led to everything just stinking.

For example, look at that show Lip Sync Battle. Sure, it's fun for people that are into seeing celebrities do stuff like that, but let's say me and you put our own show on like that with local artists. Nothing would come of it. It's all marketing and publicity.

tieb

ILLIEN
It's just like you said, it's the marketing aspect of it, which has led to everything just stinking.

For example, look at that show Lip Sync Battle. Sure, it's fun for people that are into seeing celebrities do stuff like that, but let's say me and you put our own show on like that with local artists. Nothing would come of it. It's all marketing and publicity.

Exactly true

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
Thats why i love edm sooo much... In edm there isnt one guy that will write the lyrics one that will produce the track one that will edit the track one that will do the dj shit one that will perform/rap the track one that will mix the track and one that will master it... There is ONE that will produce/mix/dj/perform and master the track. Its so original. Thats what todays "rap" music misses...

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Rapping about nothing at all! Just some high pitch tenor mumbling over 128 th hats.
For REAL a waste of "bars" makes me want to go to the bar and get drunk cause it all sounds like blah, blah, blah anyways

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
I've been thinking the SAME thing recently! Those EDM DJs no matter how heartless their music is since most of them aren't real musicians is, are REALER than hip hop DJs and producers. They're doing what the ORIGINAL hip hop DJS/producers did by making dope beats and creating a community.

Hip hop DJs in general now don't produce, they just scratch. And alot of hip hop producers don't DJ so they can't scratch lol.

I think things have to come back to SKILLS. Personally I think NWA wasn't shit without Dr. Dre, who was a DJ and we all know Alchemist kills it as a producer and DJ.

DJs and producers have to step back up in hip hop because EDM is showing them whats up. SKILLS, dedication, and creating community. Now hip hop so fragmented, full of jealous BITCHES, people who don't collaborate as a result, and political. NOT like EDM. I don't even like EDM because as I eluded to it sounds plastic to me because those DJs were NEVER real performance musicians so their melodies and rhythm are weak, obviously because all they do is 4 on the floor ALL THE TIME. BUT I still give them mad props and some love for building their culture and doing what they do WAY better than hip hop DJs/producers.

Thats why i love edm sooo much... In edm there isnt one guy that will write the lyrics one that will produce the track one that will edit the track one that will do the dj shit one that will perform/rap the track one that will mix the track and one that will master it... There is ONE that will produce/mix/dj/perform and master the track. Its so original. Thats what todays "rap" music misses...

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
I've been thinking the SAME thing recently! Those EDM DJs no matter how heartless their music is since most of them aren't real musicians is, are REALER than hip hop DJs and producers. They're doing what the ORIGINAL hip hop DJS/producers did by making dope beats and creating a community.

Hip hop DJs in general now don't produce, they just scratch. And alot of hip hop producers don't DJ so they can't scratch lol.

I think things have to come back to SKILLS. Personally I think NWA wasn't shit without Dr. Dre, who was a DJ and we all know Alchemist kills it as a producer and DJ.

DJs and producers have to step back up in hip hop because EDM is showing them whats up. SKILLS, dedication, and creating community. Now hip hop so fragmented, full of jealous BITCHES, people who don't collaborate as a result, and political. NOT like EDM. I don't even like EDM because as I eluded to it sounds plastic to me because those DJs were NEVER real performance musicians so their melodies and rhythm are weak, obviously because all they do is 4 on the floor ALL THE TIME. BUT I still give them mad props and some love for building their culture and doing what they do WAY better than hip hop DJs/producers.
there are edm producers that do a lot of work sometimes but yeah i agree

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
there are edm producers that do a lot of work sometimes but yeah i agree

I definitely agree. Ever see MOST those EDM producers eyes BLACK AS HELL from sitting in front of a computer all day. In fact Avicci has a giraffe neck and slouched shoulders because of it.

They work their asses off, but I still think because they aren't musically trained to performance level in some instrument, and their music EDM doesn't have a REAL dance culture with SKILLS like breakdancing that they'd done their music in general is plastic.

NONONSENSEBEATS

NononsenseBeats
Battle Points: 237
I am an ol skool hip hop head for real so, I cant help but to dislike 90% of what comes out now. My big problem is (as said) it has all become business not passion. I just dont like that my kids gonna grow up thinking that Young Thug, Fetty Wap, Designer, ect. is what hip hop is. I grew up where hip hop was a culture. Somehow that just got lost.

Nahshon Beasley

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 6
Wack Ass Rappers In The Mainstream/ Underground Tryin' To Sing, Instead Of Actually Rapping... I Need Bars, Man, I Need Bars!!! ... And When Todayz Fans Of Rap Say To Just Embrace The Change In Rap/Hip-Hop, I Know Hip-Hop/Rap Iz An Anything Goes Kinda Culture/Genre... But Come On, Bruh... This Isn't Pop Music, THIS IZ RAP... Keep It Hip-Hop Or Keep It Pushin' ... I Ain't w/ That Bullshit... That Was Two Thingz, I Have A lot Frustrations When Comes 2 Todayz Music...

Nahshon Beasley

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 6
Wack Ass Rappers In The Mainstream/ Underground Tryin' To Sing, Instead Of Actually Rapping... I Need Bars, Man, I Need Bars!!! ... And When Todayz Fans Of Rap Say To Just Embrace The Change In Rap/Hip-Hop, I Know Hip-Hop/Rap Iz An Anything Goes Kinda Culture/Genre... But Come On, Bruh... This Isn't Pop Music, THIS IZ RAP... Keep It Hip-Hop Or Keep It Pushin' ... I Ain't w/ That Bullshit... That Was Two Thingz, I Have A lot Frustrations When Comes 2 Todayz Music...
@Fade @hardboiled @NONONSENSEBEATS Thanks 4 Then Love On This Post Guyz :)

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Just saying, but I listen mostly to EDM nowadays... not US or Europe EDM, but mostly AfroHouse... totally different than Avicii and the Vegas strip DJ scene.

Can't stand the monotonous beats produced today. I mean, back in the days, you heard a Timbo track, and you knew it was from him, you heard a Dr Dre track, and he had his sound, Pharrel, same thing...

I don't even know if kids these days have any idea who made their favorite beats? If they have a favorite producer... I mean, how could they... Shit all sounds the same.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
you heard a Timbo track, and you knew it was from him, you heard a Dr Dre track, and he had his sound, Pharrel
Word. This is one of the main issues I have as well. I think that today's fans don't even care who produced what or who is on the mic, they just want something that's new and "hot" or "viral".