When should Dre have dropped Detox?

T

TheMost

Me and my boys were discussing this. You think now, last year , next year, 2001 ,2002 when is the best time

I think that 05 after he shouted out Look out for detox on game's Higher would of been perfect

Snoop was still relevant with hits like Drop it like its hotm 50 was the King of rap, Game was on the come up, Bishop was about to sign to the math.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Contractually from what I've heard it has to come out in 09....if not he will have to pay crazy money back to the label.

As far as when it drops.......It's Dre....Shits going to out sell anything that has drop'd in the past 5 years anyway. It's like what Stat Quo said in a recent interview "they could have drop'd his album with no music and just him, Dre and Em on the cover and it would have went platinum.

Dre is a perfectionist......word is that he only listens to his shit while he's producing it and one more time after its finished...then he can't stand to ever hear it again. He's been known to leave clubs when they shout him out and play his shit.

T

TheMost

^^ yeah but when would of been the best time to drop it? Or, when would you of prefered he dropped it?

Imgaine he dropped it in 05 for the reason i mentionned i think it owuld of been much better then it will now.

2001 for the record is not that great. Some of the artists on there are well protected by big beats, good production, case and point where are 3/4 of the artists on there?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Dre is a perfectionist......word is that he only listens to his shit while he's producing it and one more time after its finished...then he can't stand to ever hear it again. He's been known to leave clubs when they shout him out and play his shit.

How does he go on tour then??

It shoulda come out in 05 fasho or earlier, Im not thinking that it ever will come out.
Shit is like waiting for a Rakim album to drop..yaaaaaaaaawn...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
You're right about 2005! That would have been a great year... but I'm just thinking about the fact that if it doesn't work, that would be the biggest dissapointment EVER!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
To my understanding, he's been giving those "Detox" beats to other artist for their projects. What cats dontknow is that when Detox drops its gonna be Dre singing in autotune the whole album like Kanye. lol (hope not)

OOOOOooooohhhhhh lol

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
How does he go on tour then??

It shoulda come out in 05 fasho or earlier, Im not thinking that it ever will come out.
Shit is like waiting for a Rakim album to drop..yaaaaaaaaawn...

Back in the day he toured and did the clubs...now he doesn't....can't remember the last time he did....He'll do what he needs to do to promote his shit....don't get me wrong. But I've heard he's OCD like that. At least that's what Stat Quo said. I heard Dre said that if he had the Chronic to do over again half the songs on it....the classic shit...would not be on it. He hates those songs now.....CRAZZZZZYYYYY

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
one of the things i'm sorta worried about is how the sound of detox will have aged after all these years of those tracks just sitting there unreleased. but then again, it's dre, can't knock his albums AT ALL.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
one of the things i'm sorta worried about is how the sound of detox will have aged after all these years of those tracks just sitting there unreleased. but then again, it's dre, can't knock his albums AT ALL.
thats probably why it hasn't dropped...tracks start to age...he sells the tracks to other artist because theyre just sitting, causing him to have to make more "Detox" tracks...and the process repeats.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Dre's "run" as the "God" producer is starting to end, because he's coasting off his reputation instead of continously reminding people why he is Dre.
He's one of very few producers that I actually believe can put together a classic album anytime he wants to, because he knows the ingredients.

You can't play with the fans like that - I think there may be a bigger problem going on over at Aftermath, too many very talented artists have been shelved, I'm surprised that Busta Rhymes' album dropped when it did - but it might've been a clause in his contract to do so, who knows.

Expectations to re-create that magic again and again is more powerful of an influence than money can ever be. Money didn't change Dre, expectations did.

ill o.g.
I think if he releases it in early 09 like he says he will that will be the perfect timing cuz the planets will all be in alignment for another "Up in smokes Tour" because like when he dropped Chronic 2001 Eminem just dropped MMLP, Snoop just dropped last meal, xzibit just dropped Restless so it was perfect for a dope ass concert. Detox should be dropping just after Eminem and 50's new albums so we might be blessed for another one.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dre's "run" as the "God" producer is starting to end, because he's coasting off his reputation instead of continously reminding people why he is Dre.

1) I disagree, since he's responsible for a lot of shit that Interscope puts out - though it might not have his name on it. He's asked to "give up" beats to artists by the upper management. There's a lot of cross-pollination of ideas and music and Interscope, where artists are actively encouraged to reach across to their labelmates and producers to help collectively garner hits for the "team." Timbaland is a producer that REALLY took advantage of this and is working with Jimmy Io's team to help ALL Interscope acts (pop, rock and of course - hiphop.)

2) Dre probably has a contract with Interscope like Axl Rose had with Geffen - where the label pays him an insanely massive stipend until a certain date which thereafter Dre would be in breach of contract and pay Interscope back some money.

You can't play with the fans like that - I think there may be a bigger problem going on over at Aftermath, too many very talented artists have been shelved, I'm surprised that Busta Rhymes' album dropped when it did - but it might've been a clause in his contract to do so, who knows.

3) From what I heard about Busta drama with Interscope (getting dropped by the label) - there was some personal shit going on between Busta and upper management. Busta ain't the draw he used to be... monetarily... so he shoulda kept his mouth shut.

4) Who says you can't mess with the fans? Every time a pathetic PR campaign comes out, they're messing with them.

Expectations to re-create that magic again and again is more powerful of an influence than money can ever be. Money didn't change Dre, expectations did.

5) He has way too many responsibilities. People were doubting him when he released "Chronic 2001." The haters were easily dismissed. He'll call on his proteges to do the album filler for him and it will be a "best of" like his albums usually are, and go multiplatinum even in a recessed recording industry.

Persistent_VS

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Dre is a perfectionist, so there's no rush or hurry when it comes to making another DRE record. All I know it that we can expect another killer LP... Until then