when tracking do you....

phatbeats

ill o.g.
Track 4 bars or 8 bars and copy and paste or do you sequence the whole track in your sequencer and track the whole song.I got pro tools I want to tracks 4 bars and copy but when I track a pattern from my fantom x and play it back it doesn't loop right like the tempo is off but the tempo is correct.Anybody know what the problem is?

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Relic said:
Are you using midi to synch?
Sounds like you just recorded 4 bars and then are using the loop function on protools?
I usually track out the whole song inst by inst per track then start mixing.
Not real sure how to make it loop correctly...

i do it the same way on my D16XD, but u gotta synch ur equipment. for me its midi. for others, it could be MTC, etc... tempos are not always the same on different equipment. u gotta synch them up.

da relic

phatbeats

ill o.g.
Actually I do have it synced. Pro tools is set as the master and fantom x is the slave. I don't even know how to use the loop function on pro tools.

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
...all you have to do is right click onthe wave and hit repeat...and tell it how many times to repeat it...

But I track out the whole wave form... takes @ a half...but eh... doesn't bother me cuz I track out and mix during my 'off' times...

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
It all depends on how you wanna make your drops. Do you know your Fantom X better than pro tools?

It usually tends to sound better when you "perform" the drops (mutes, solos, breakdowns, bridges, patterns, etc) on your Drum Machine or Sampler or Keyboard, so when you bring it in to Pro Tools it's already put together.

On the other hand, some people like to visualize their drops rather than perform them. You can do this in "step time" I guess you can call it by just highlighting and deleting, muting, etc. OR... you can always record the automation and use solo and mute buttons where you want the instruments/tracks to come in and out.

When it comes to using midi sync... if you don't have it setup or don't WANT to use it, you can always "tab to transients" and find the beginning of the wav of where it started recording and cut everything else off and trim it so it starts there at the beginning of the session. I usually number my bars so that bar #1 starts a little later. This way everything is on time and you can always add an intro later if you didn't track it out in the first place.

members online