Where do you put your sample id's???/

incogneeto

J.B. LEGACY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
ok...i'm getting into sampling alot now....thing is i sample and get so ampt that i have a good sample that i chop it up and immediatly make my song.....when i save the samples...i save em as sample 1, 2, 3 , etc.... thing is i forget where i got em from............so wut's everyones process of remembering where u got ur samples from.

do you write them in a seperate "samples" notpad and put your song and where u got the samples for the song from...........do u label them immediatley after saving them as ther name of the song u got it from as the file name????/

wuts everyones process??

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
What i do, is when im finished making the song, i save the data files and sounds to my computer for storgae. I create a folder just for that beat with all the MIDI and sound files. IF i have a sample, i create a notpad document a type the record name and song of the samples i used. That way i always have track of them.

class....

ill o.g.
I take a lot of time when finding my samples, and i have a semi-photographic memory. I can tell you which record i got each sound from, for all of my beats without writing it down.

incogneeto

J.B. LEGACY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Producer_GyaL said:
instead of naming your chopped samples as "sample1" "sample2" ... etc, take the name of your sample. for example: aretha franklin - i need you : arethaF-ineedyou1.wav arethaF-ineedyou2.wav etc.

GOOD IDEA GYAL...I JUST GET TOO EXCITED WHEN I HAVE A GOOD SAMPLE AND I WANNA LAY IT DOWN IN A TRACK ASAP BEFORE I FORGET WUT BEAT I WAS THINKING....I THINK I WILL WRITE THEM ON A NOTEBOOK LIKE THIS, THEN GO BACK IN TO THE SAMPLE AND RENAME IT!

ill o.g.
well it depends on the type of sample. If its just a long loop i give it a descriptory name. if im gonna slice up that loop/long sample i make a directory with the name of the orginal sample or loop. then any slice or piece i make of it goes into the matching directory, with a very short description of what it is (for example bd1 or snare1 etc.). Works for me.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
I Look at the Name of the Record and use the name and also set my Bpm of the Sample so if its like 92 bpm it would the sample name would look like this

Tricky DIck Sample 1 92bpm Tricky Dick Sample 2 92 bpm Etc.....

I think its a easy fast way cuz then u can find a drum loop thats 92 bpm and match em up easy

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I recommend sorting ALL your tracks and samples into categories on a zip disk

eg. Songs (into Funk, OST's, JAZZ etc) and samples (into - drum loops - rolls - - snares - kicks - hi hats - vocal snippets - bass - etc etc etc...)

I wish I'd have done this earlier as i've now got a backlog of randomly saved samples and tracks - some of which i didnt even name DOH!

Deca

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
same as pgyal, i use the name of the sample and add 1 or 2 behind it. sometimes i'll name it something that has to do with the song. when i began making beats i use to remember them without wrinting it down, but after 7-8 years of producing, your memory starts to fade.

macthedoulos

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
keep in mind that if you're puttin' your file names in disk and will be using it in a pc...keep your file name to 8 charaters. otherwise, parts of the file name can be chopped and this can lead to all types of headaches...........