Where to cop vinyl in the D.C. / MD. area???

CHARLIEPLATNUM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
What's POPPIN' People???? I'm trying to find some good locations to cop vinyl here in D.C.
or any MD locations as well. I've hit the thrift stores....but the selection is limited.....don't get me wrong, I've found some crazy joints at these 2 thrift stores I go to in Laurel..the thrift stores are good for crazy big band world type joints..a couple of gems every now and then...But the problem is, I'm looking for certain albums...like Ohio Players, Isaac Hayes, Rufus Thomas, Funkadelic, Quincy Jones, Herbie Hancock....you know that FOWNKY ish! That's where I like to get my drums from. I'm also looking for joints like Queen, Led Zepelin, Jimi Hendrix...they have nice lead solos, strings and orchestra hits..
I need some where to DIG!!! in D.C.... Can anybody from the area help me out on this.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
well i'm in frederick MD and there are a couple places i go digging, i go to good will, salvation army, record and tape traders, wonder book and video, antique station, if you are near frederick or will make the drive, i suggest the antique station you will find a ton of rare records there......................but all have nice vinyl

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
there's a record shop in college park, I forget the name, next time I'm in the area I'll make sure I get it for you. They sell video games too. Dammit I can't remember the name.

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Try capitol city records at 11th and U street NW. Good variety of new and old. Also, try ebay. I get mine by the bulk real cheap.

X

CHARLIEPLATNUM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
GRAFIK said:
well i'm in frederick MD and there are a couple places i go digging, i go to good will, salvation army, record and tape traders, wonder book and video, antique station, if you are near frederick or will make the drive, i suggest the antique station you will find a ton of rare records there......................but all have nice vinyl

Frederick.....HMMMM!!!!!! that's jive a HUMP!!!! but HEY, it's all about the dig.....I'll have to take a day, pack a lunch....and make that hike......thanks Champ!!!!!

CHARLIEPLATNUM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Steel Side said:
there's a record shop in college park, I forget the name, next time I'm in the area I'll make sure I get it for you. They sell video games too. Dammit I can't remember the name.

Are you talking about the one next to ATOMIC music store?????

CHARLIEPLATNUM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Producer X said:
Try capitol city records at 11th and U street NW. Good variety of new and old. Also, try ebay. I get mine by the bulk real cheap.

X

11th an U, goodLookin'Out

There's a little Christian Youth Center Thrift store on RTE. 1 across from the Best Buy in Laurel. (My secret stash) It's around back in the strip mall where the Quizno's is.....I recently racked up about 45 records for like 13 bucks.......and they are all in good condition and very usable.

CHARLIEPLATNUM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
GRAFIK said:
shit its only like an hour drive, not too long.................[/QUOTE

YEAh, but the way gas prices are now, I am restricted to 35 mile radius.....Anything out side of 35 miles just wont be visited... lol

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
GRAFIK said:
Cool, I'm in Frederick too.

There's Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville.
http://www.joesrecordparadise.com/

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Well I know a spot in Bmore, but as far as the number one place, any old head that is really and old DC head knows about the spot that used to be in Georgetown.....they moved across the bridge to arlington and the thing about that store is you can be in there for days, and days, they also buy out smaller record stores and have consignment, imo they are the largest and best spot for vinyl of ALL kinds and I can get bulk vinyl for REAL cheap, for old soul and now defunct but classic soul labels, volt, hi, famous, stang etc.., northern soul, philly soul etc....there is a spot in Silver spring, sometimes the prices might seem high but they sometimes have grade A vinyl and I have copped many pieces that have never been opened....same with the one in Arlington...PM me and I can let you know the spots....salvation army and goodwill are ok but 9 times out of ten their vinyl has been picked over before they put it out....you might find a few good ones but someone probably already has their hands on them to get the really good pieces first especially collectors and stores.

Daikomo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ayo there's a great record store out Towson/Parkville MD::: They got everything you can find it's kinda lowkey because it's because it's behind a super market but mad Dj's go there. They sell Turn tables and supplies. I think the supplies are mad expsensive.

Not to far from the Gutiar Center.. it's real close to the Mall.

I don't really mess wit u PG county N*ggaz. yall on some otha stuff out there.
went to a party out there thinkin it was goin to be hard. then the dj started wit
that GOGO!! . That's when u know it's time to bounce. LOL i don't have anything
against GOGO i just don't see why and how people feel it in Clubs and Parties.
a Fight broke out after i left Baltimore County vs. PG county over some Bmore Club musik and D.C. GOGO.

CHARLIEPLATNUM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Well I know a spot in Bmore, but as far as the number one place, any old head that is really and old DC head knows about the spot that used to be in Georgetown.....they moved across the bridge to arlington and the thing about that store is you can be in there for days, and days, they also buy out smaller record stores and have consignment, imo they are the largest and best spot for vinyl of ALL kinds and I can get bulk vinyl for REAL cheap, for old soul and now defunct but classic soul labels, volt, hi, famous, stang etc.., northern soul, philly soul etc....there is a spot in Silver spring, sometimes the prices might seem high but they sometimes have grade A vinyl and I have copped many pieces that have never been opened....same with the one in Arlington...PM me and I can let you know the spots....salvation army and goodwill are ok but 9 times out of ten their vinyl has been picked over before they put it out....you might find a few good ones but someone probably already has their hands on them to get the really good pieces first especially collectors and stores.

thanx, I'ma check'em out

Daikomo said:
Ayo there's a great record store out Towson/Parkville MD::: They got everything you can find it's kinda lowkey because it's because it's behind a super market but mad Dj's go there. They sell Turn tables and supplies. I think the supplies are mad expsensive.

Not to far from the Gutiar Center.. it's real close to the Mall.

I don't really mess wit u PG county N*ggaz. yall on some otha stuff out there.
went to a party out there thinkin it was goin to be hard. then the dj started wit
that GOGO!! . That's when u know it's time to bounce. LOL i don't have anything
against GOGO i just don't see why and how people feel it in Clubs and Parties.
a Fight broke out after i left Baltimore County vs. PG county over some Bmore Club musik and D.C. GOGO.

Well, I can understand your feelings on GOGO, especially if you've never been to a REAL GOGO. That sh*t they play in clubs ain't real GOGO.....You have to go see a GOGO band live to really understand. And I wont even comment on the HOUSE sh*t y'all listen to lol. O'yeah btw, I'm not from PG County, I'm from N.E. & S.E. DC (what PG county is slowly turning into) any way thanx for the info, I'll be checking that joint out.

bigdmakintrax said:

I was born and raised in DC, so I am and OLD DC head.......I'm just new to sampling off wax. I never used samples too much in my production, I play keyboards, so if i Ihad a 16 track sequencer, I filled all 16 tracks with melodies, chords and bass lines that I created. Or if liked a bass line or lead melody, I'd just replay it instead of sampling. I'm looking for wax to build a tight sound library. I can take samples and create new wave forms with one of the samplers that I have....so I've been grabbing strings, kicks, flutes, leads, bass's, snares, rim shots, high hats etc. from old albums....and turn them into either key groups or drum kits.......it beats those weak ass sample CD ROMS they're sellin' now'a days. Thanx for the info

CHARLIEPLATNUM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
hoodkatt said:
Here's a spot: (actually I moved from this area in 2002, so I don't know if this particular spot is still open for business)

There's a little out-of-the-way used book/record/hobby shop (looks like a small little house) off of route 450 in Bowie (going towards Annapolis), next to a 7-eleven. I forgot the name of it.

If you're taking the beltway, take the new carrollton exit for route 450 going towards Lanham/Annapolis. Follow the signs and stay on route 450. You'll eventually get to the controlled intersection of route 193. Keep going straight! A 1 mile or 2 down the road, you'll pass Melvins Motors on your right, and from here keep a sharp eye on your left.

You'll soon see the 7-11 sign ahead on your left, and look immediately to the left of it you'll see a quiet unassuming house that's been turned into a store.

Let me know how it works for you.

Peace,

HK

Thanks, I'ma go past there this weekend.

members online