Which is a better option?

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
When selling or giving away beats to artist which is much more wise to do even when your beats are copy written? Collecting money up front or a written agreement/contract for proper credit and collect on the back end? I know a lot of producers who run into this issue when trying to get placements or when working with unsigned artist. I no longer agree with leasing beats but that's just my opinion. I'm curious to know how some of you guys handle business with unsigned or signed artist.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
If you are getting paid, get pain up front. The odds of it being a hit are so low it is better to get the money first.

I still give tons of beats away because I feel like I am still growing my fan base and I need as many placements as possible.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Unsigned-Up front money...it's a very good chance that they won't break into the business to make a dime.

Signed-Depends on there level of success in the industry. Very successful-Back end (why? They could potentially get you more placements with signed artist that they know), Semi successful-A combination of some up front money and a split on the back end.

Either way get your paperwork str8 in case u have to "choke a bitch" in court!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
LDB I think hit it perfectly...

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
i cant believe in this day and age, people actually still BUY beats of people....unsigned people that is....

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yea, and i cant believe it!

maybe we just dont have a big enough Hip Hop scene in England...

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
s'all about electronics in europe...all about the sub bass at the mo...which is sweet though, hip hop needs some more sub going on...

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Unsigned-Up front money...it's a very good chance that they won't break into the business to make a dime.

Signed-Depends on there level of success in the industry. Very successful-Back end (why? They could potentially get you more placements with signed artist that they know), Semi successful-A combination of some up front money and a split on the back end.

Either way get your paperwork str8 in case u have to "choke a bitch" in court!

this^^^ Even if you do it for free, get your paper work straight

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
s'all about electronics in europe...all about the sub bass at the mo...which is sweet though, hip hop needs some more sub going on...

(ie. See Dirty South)

members online