Which Type Of Beat Production Do You Like Best?

• warzone finals voting begins in...

Which do you like better?

• I like MPC Style Beat Production better.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I like Seamless Chops (More Like A Song) better.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I like them both about the same.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I've noticed 2 really distinctive types of beat production...

1. I call the MPC style of production where there are distinctive chops on top of a beat. Some producers really exaggerate the chops by throwing some pitch change chops in it while others stay in pitch but still make it very clear that it's a MPC style group of chops.

2. The only way you would even know that there is a chop is if you know the song/sample used to make the beat.

Just out of curiosity, which style do you all like better? I like both but overall I like seamless blends which makes the beat sound less beat machine and more of a composition even if it's 100% sampled.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I like both it all depends what your trying to achieve. Sometimes if you chop a sample up too much trying to rearrange it, you can loose that feel.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
yeah sometimes I do that and even that can be a good thing or bad thing. In general, I try to let the song create itself, then other times I really go after something I hear in my head. I get more satisfaction from making it totally unrecognizable. Making it recognizable is cool too. Like you said...it depends on what you're going after.

As far as the chops, it's just something about a beat that feels more like it was composed that appeals to me more. I think thats alot harder to achieve than doing the MPC style beat making.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Love them both....because I could really enjoy each if put together well enough.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
lol @ mpc style

It has nothing on style, it has more to do with "technique". Ofc, both are dope but i think the point is to make chopshop blend in where it doesnt appear like a badly cut sample...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
lol @ over 90 views and 11 votes and you're the only one that had to make a correction to the word "style"...now thats funny for real! =)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
You mean me ? If so, look at the timestamp of edit lol

not hating though, imo, the lesser perfect editing of samples, regardless of what machine used has created some of the best bangers. Perfectly cut samples, composed properly is pretty much like using the best rompler. Both are just as good, but any experienced producer knows they craft different beats eiitherway.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I was an MPC vote. I liked that chopped sound man. Its hard to pick because beats are beats but I just tend to like the MPC muted group chopped sound.

V

Versatile G

me personally i prefer style #2, i really dig the whole mpc chop style but i like arrangements more.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
The one that makes the bank account fat

My setiments exactly. (Edited)

On second thought, any further comment will turn this into a composition vs sampling thread... Already hijacked one of Dacs threads lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
LOL @ DOX, Nahhhh let's go there...Composition -vs- Sampling. I know that a lot don't regard the two as separate techniques but I do. I can't really say which is better in terms of making beats because you really can get fire from both BUT (imo) true creativity comes from composing. Not to say that you can't be just as creative Sampling but it's just not the same to me. The way I see it, if you make a SUPER DOPE beat using samples, that same exact beat would score more points if you composed it.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Which ever way is closest to the style of production of Pete Rock. That's how I approach my beat making. I guess that's style 2. I like to use all samples in a beat if I can to compose something new. Challenging & hella fun.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was always going back and fourth, but now I do all live instrumentation. Only exception is the steven slate drusms, lol, them shits is fuckin sick. Incredible drums. It's workin though, first beat with full live instruments on gucci's next tape. Also got shit with parlae from dem franchise boyz and dem getaway boys... all alanta shit. Live instruments with SOME smooth chops and melodyne.