Who are some good artists to listen to?

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
I just realized I haven't bought a hip hop cd for over 5 yrs. though I've been buying rock music. What are some good hip hop cds or anyother type of music you've guys bought recently that are worth the $10 spent?

As for me, I recommend any Zakk Wylde Black Label Society cds if your into bumping or playing rock guitar, especially solos. He makes the guitar sing and scream. Orbital's "blue" album is dope for electro beats. And Rammstein is dope for hardcore rock cats and is also mixed well. Damn, I wanna support hip hop financially, but don't know who to buy. I like listening to cats that have something to say on the mic and not just that "we're underground" bs and "screw the mainstream." Cats who have soul that rhyme about their life or life in general that are understandable when flowing. It's like in hip hop its hard to find artists that write "songs" anymore. They just scream into a mic and say novelty catchphrases or alter their voice to sound cool but aren't really saying anything. I guess that's why I listen to rock, they tend to still write songs throughout whole albums that have meaning.

T

The Bastard

hardboiled said:
I just realized I haven't bought a hip hop cd for over 5 yrs. though I've been buying rock music. What are some good hip hop cds or anyother type of music you've guys bought recently that are worth the $10 spent?

As for me, I recommend any Zakk Wylde Black Label Society cds if your into bumping or playing rock guitar, especially solos. He makes the guitar sing and scream. Orbital's "blue" album is dope for electro beats. And Rammstein is dope for hardcore rock cats and is also mixed well. Damn, I wanna support hip hop financially, but don't know who to buy. I like listening to cats that have something to say on the mic and not just that "we're underground" bs and "screw the mainstream." Cats who have soul that rhyme about their life or life in general that are understandable when flowing. It's like in hip hop its hard to find artists that write "songs" anymore. They just scream into a mic and say novelty catchphrases or alter their voice to sound cool but aren't really saying anything. I guess that's why I listen to rock, they tend to still write songs throughout whole albums that have meaning.
jay z, wu tang clan,sticky fingaz ,beatnuts ,m.o.p., busta rhymes, mob deep are a few of my fav. artists i dunno if ud like em but i feel they rep hip hop right,

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Dope Cd's I've bought:

Slick Rick- The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
Gravediggaz- 6 Feet Deep
Diamond D- Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop

Ctrl

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
*Louis Logic and J.J. Brown....Fuckers are ill.
*On a old tip - Thelonious Monk, motherfuckers classic.
*Reggae - Steele Pulse, another old one.
*Dope Drummer from the Old - Gene Krupa
*Hmmmm back to hiphop - ....People Under The Stairs (nothing but dope rhymes and beats on every album).
*Blues - Hound Dog Taylor, or Muddy Waters on any occasion!....lol
*MF Doom - King Deadorah (People always hate on this album, but i love it)...
*Shuman.....Cats ill - http://www.gritrecords.com/releases_security.asp

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yea anythink by MF DOOM (geedorah, viktor vaughn)

madlib
immortal technique
CO FLOW!!!!!!!!!!!
anything else on DEF JUX
anything on Ninja tunes

DUB

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
The Stylistics
The Delfonics

i can zone out and listen to them for days

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
Thanks for the ideas ya'll. Sounds like there is a lot of hip hop I have to check out and support!! I'm suprised no one recomended their own music and was like "listen to my S#@t. I got all heaters for that a$$!!" We got some dope cats on this site

Bastard - which Mob Deep album do you think has the best beats or just bumps overall?

Classic - definetely got Outkast in my car. Ever since I seen em at house of blues back in high school I thought they had I'll skillz and weren't afraid to experiment. That's how I like my music.

Mind Ctrl- Grave Diggers were always tight with the beats and rhymes!

King C and Deuce - thanks. I think I'll check out some MF Doom since he's getting some good praise from you and People Under the Stairs.

dialogic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
no one mentioned the new de la cd??? that shit is wild... and merc waters is in the credits... if u want some new shit i think that's a requirement

ghostface has some dope funky beats and it's just fun hip hop
if u can find pharoahe's internal affairs (i found it at circuit city for $10 last yr, but sounds like htat was lucky as hell)- i think that one's a requirement
nas is always classic (except street's disciple, that's aiight)
and talib kweli is most definitely worth a listen- his solo shit, black star, reflection eternal,
dont forget mos def's black on both sides, common's new shit about to drop in may, slum village is nice, d'angelo's good for hip hop leaning r&b, and i'm gonna say that jt's justified was dope as hell too- no lie... there's so much man, just get some a couple cds, look at the artists in the thank u's on cd's u like and keep an eye on the boards for shit u didnt know about...

plus i agree w/ bastard on all of his picks

pz.

Paul_Caruso

ill o.g.
Anything MF Doom related (King Geedorah, Viktor Vaughn)
Lord Finesse / Diggin In The Crates / Big L
If you like rock music check out a band called "Scissor Fight" particularly the album "Mantrapping For Sport and Profit"
Jazz rock - Karate - perhaps "The Bed Is In The Ocean"

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Swoop one of the devin the dude albums. All three are classics in my opinion.

C

Carpe Diem

immortal technique - revolutionary vols 1 & 2
jedi mind tricks - violent by design

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Vince said:
The Stylistics
The Delfonics

i can zone out and listen to them for days

this man knows... add the chi-lites to that list...

C

Carpe Diem

uk garage wise...if anyone interested...

todd edwards (sampling GENIUS)
tuff jam
el tuff
mj cole
qualifide
duncan powell

just a few...

GucciCondom

ill o.g.
Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Design
Jedi Mind Tricks - Visions of Gandhi
Jedi Mind Tricks - Legacy Of Blood
Canibus - Rip The Jacker
Gangstarr - Full Clip: A Decade of Gangstarr (i think thats the name)
The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity 2
Any Big L shit you can find
Outerspace - Blood and Ashes
Ill Bill - Whats Wring With Bill

some of my favs.

C

Carpe Diem

^^^ JMT are the shit, but as for Visions Of Gandhi...

aint really feeling it too much... my fave on there gotta be Blood In Blood Out!!

gets me hyped up all the time, sick beat...

members online