Who do you get the best feedback from...

Quack

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
People who also make beats or "regular" people who have a chance to hear your tracks?

I believe the "regular" people give me the best feedback, because if the music does not move them it just doesn't, however, if it does you know you have something.

I am a teacher and my students are my critics. They are very blunt about what they like and don't like. It has helped me. Surely, other beatmakers have helped as well, but it is a different dynamic. For example, I play a Kanye West instrumental for a fello beatmaker. I knew he had never heard the track, so I say I did the track and asked him what he thought. He went into this long spill about what I needed to change and needed to work on. So I played it again and told him that Kanye did it, he was, "It is kinda tight."

Just wanted to know what yall thought.

One!

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
My Best Feedback come from people i work with.. Simple as that.. there in it for $$ if it sucks there gonna tell me.. My Manager, my Artist(s), the production crew i run with .. we don't play that "YESMAN" shit...

We walk into the Big Studio we hand the Tracks to the Engineer we dont know whos Beat is who's We dont care we play them, come up with lines hooks figure out where the track needs to go and or where it can go...

If it sucks it sucks no hard feelings being real with one another is the only wait to up the game

Ps. now yes at the end of the day we know who's track is who's Because of course they have the track on there Equipment but when u sittin down and pushin play we dont care..

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
I think i Trust other producers because they understand whats can easyily be duplicated and what cant and whats quality and wats crap . Basically I can play a track for alot of my boyz and they really dont understand how easy it was for me to load up this piano or load up these strings and drums and just make something basic they really think some serious shit went into just puttin a basic 4 bar loop and some drums 2gether

But if I show it to a artist or even one of my boys that raps a lil bit they can give better feedback then my average friend

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
My mom.............all she cares about is if that shyt make u move. Not if my drums are EQ'd or how many chord progressions i do. Now if i do want to know that stuff my boi Biz and my cousin are the people i go to

ill o.g.
The local people i know, but only the ones that are always down to business. Like nxt said, The ones about the $$. Cuz theyll be straight wit you and aint afraid to hurt any feelings.

Also, i get some good feedback from certain people in the illmuzik showcase.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
my girl... or my non musical niggas .. cuz they just tell u straight up if they feel shit or not.. my artists too... if they feel comfortable on the track i know its gonna be fire.. usually the longer it takes to spit tha rhyme to the track the worse song its gonna be.... my 10 cents

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
My mom! Because i've used plenty of her cd's to sample shit from... And of course people you don't know, that's the best because them are the people you need to get the attention of...

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
Yeah, I'd have to say my mom. She's is the most honest person, she gon tell me if its hot or a piece of shit.

-Roy

Phiba Optix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My boi who I live with... cuz he is the hardest cat to please in the world. If I even get a 'Ahh this ain too bad' then I know my beats FIYA... haha

But I also got a small selection of cats on the net who give me REAL feedback and dont dickride or hate me. But in ALL honesty, I have kinda got to the point now were I dont really give a fuck what other cats think. If I think its hot then it goes on my soundclick page... Now some cats probably thinkin well course you gon' think its hot, but that ain the way shit works with me, cuz I'm such a perfectionist that if there is even one tiny thing I dont like about the beat, it gets put in the trash pile.

Jus my two pennies

Holla

C

Carpe Diem

to be honest, all feedback is good, no matter who its from, but im guessing the net is prob my most influential feedback...

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
I got the best feedback from my man Isolyst thats in my crew..he critiques me on my beats and my rhymes ....

Bloodybastid

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
Strangers.... they give u the best and most honest feedback

class....

You mean people who aren't into Hip-Hop?? People who just listen to whatever's on MTV or the radio?? What if you're making a Wu-Tang sounding beat then?? Of course they're not gonna like it. Just my opinion though

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
wow... you guys are so cute... having your mom to have the best feed back... You guys are lucky, really.

In my case, i dont share my music to a lot of people. Friends who's not into Hiphop cant give you an objective advice. Also, artists i work with cant be objective too, cause they will like only the music they Feel rapping on it. If i ask feed back from other producers, like on illmuzik, it may not be objective cause some people dont like R&b or something about the drums or because they rather other style of music (south,east,club,underground,electronic neptune sound etc)

So right now, the best feed back that i have is from Classic, Supa'Produza and a few cousins. I dont like to show off, music is so personnal to me.

When someone do not feel a track, other people will. And also, a track has always their own potential... cause when you made it, there was a story behind it.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Bloodybastid said:
You mean people who aren't into Hip-Hop?? People who just listen to whatever's on MTV or the radio?? What if you're making a Wu-Tang sounding beat then?? Of course they're not gonna like it. Just my opinion though

Thats with anybody man, stanger or not, Everyone is gonna have a personal opionion with ur beat.

But strangers will keep it real, friends etc.. may try to suger coat stuff. THats why when i give feedback im honest as hell,

IF a cat that dosent know u , feels a beat, then u know u got some heat.

Honestly most cats are afraid to know the "real" truth about their music

class....

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
I also know that people who do not produce have a problem to hear an instrumental only. They rather judge a beat with a lyrics on it... which it sucks. It is sad to say that some people will like a beat because of the artist. Anyways, if you guys have constructive feed back, it is your precious tools. Stick to it.

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
my girl is my worst critic.

She gives it to me straight up, no chaser.

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
classic said:
Thats with anybody man, stanger or not, Everyone is gonna have a personal opionion with ur beat.

But strangers will keep it real, friends etc.. may try to suger coat stuff. THats why when i give feedback im honest as hell,

IF a cat that dosent know u , feels a beat, then u know u got some heat.

Honestly most cats are afraid to know the "real" truth about their music

class....

Preach.....I dont need to say nothing. Class sumed it up. :shoot:

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
one thing ya'll are all missing: feedback is best when recieved from multiple sources. its like taking a photograph from the top, bottom, back, front, and odd angles- each picture shows a piece but together they all make up the entire picture, but they focus on different parts.

production people, they will be able to tell you things from a techincal aspect which is important..... yes we make music ultimately for people to enjoy, but the "average" listener aint gonna be like..."that snare needs some reverb" and i think people that dislike hearing those small, technical critiques just dont want to hear it.

people tend to like something thats "good enough" and a lot of artists want to settle on just what the so-called "average joe" thinks is "good enough" and thats the problem. people dont want to be GREAT at what they do, they want to be "good enough".

my point is simply that other producers and artsists have just as valid feedback from a techinical standpoint as the "average" listener who just says they are vibin to it and both are equally important to creating a GREAT-not good-product.

Dr Dre is the most revered producer ever, and if you notice, all the other "super producers" such as the neptunes, kanye, swizz, timbo, etc.... they mass produce their beats....they make beats that cover the lowest common denominator and release song after song after song... dre, however, releases far fewer. im talking about the actual songs produced by dre and his team- not the scott storch, hi tek, eminem, etc beats that people are giving dre credit for- but i mean, the chronic/2001, the snoop, nwa, the *few* game tracks, etc, realistically, the man most people thinkl of as the greatest to ever do it, has released a fraction of the numbers as opposed to his counterparts within a FAR greater timespan. outside of the chronic/doggystyle era and the 2001/eminem era, dre has never been the prominant sound of the radio as far as MAKING the beats- even though his artists do.

my point here? the man is notoriously picky about YES, even the technical aspects of his music. i find it odd that the man that tthe guy most name as the single greatest producer of the hip hop generations doesnt personally put out 20 singles a year the way a kanye or timbo or neptunes would yet still gets love that they and all but maybe primo will probably never approach..... then you got swizz beats, who doesnt really put much time into is beats, and has a few big singles here and there but isnt really doing anything with lasting substance or leaving a TRUE legacy....there is, i think, a fundamental difference here. swizz is "good enough" to shake some butts and sell some records, but dre goes for greatness and to me there is a HUGE difference between the two.

the fundamental differences between these two

members online