Who do you Producer for- as an overall goal?

G

Griffin Avid

Who do you Produce for- as an overall goal?

Who do you Produce for?

I always find this to be a pretty good question as I've seen some interesting answers and differing point of views. Producing for yourself seems to be suggesting only your opinion counts when it comes to your own music.

Producing for others is a bit vague. I've seen producers think about what other producers think and worry about feedback- beyond the early point of trying to iron out technical issues.

Producing for others as in clients: whatever the project/emcee requires.
Producing for others like a crowd/judges in beat battles or contests.

I remember thinking only about the emcees I produced for and scratching so many tracks that didn't fit their specific mold. Early on I mostly got feedback from my crew and other similar producers. There was an unsaid competition of who could be more creative or different and there was almost a sense of pride in using a very complex technique or chains of techniques to make a track... like it was showing a higher dedication.

I noticed most emcees preferred the simpler tracks and even liked some of the stuff I considered unfinished. It could have been I was trying too hard or was too focused on being impressive. The tracks I tended to pick for myself had character, not always generally considered 'my best' tracks, but I would hear a direction when I listened; like the track had personality. Those are the kind of tracks that you have to write to and just can't fit any ole verse over it.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I hear ya on lots of times people want the unfinished track or something that you may consider garbage or a throw away track lol..

I produce for StepChild, and maybe a couple of other people that can help mesh with the sound I make.
I have been working with my artist for like 11 years now so we have a vibe and a sound (sorry God I know Im not suppose to mention how long we have been doing it lol.) that is somewhat our own.

I dont really do clients per-se, Im more about making a vibe and sound, this city doesnt have a MC in it that will actually pay for a beat! LOL , I dont care if KAnye made it and only charged $50!

G

Griffin Avid

Do you care about what Other Producers think about your music?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Yes I do, but first I have to respect their ability as a producer and if what they are saying makes any sense in their critisism..

If its just like "Thats wack" or "thats hot" (I like to hear the latter regardless lol) then it doesnt really help.

If they dont have a body of work or their trax imo suck then no the opinion holds less weight.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2

At the end of the day, No. I take constructive criticizm and use it but thats where it stops. what may be wack to {insert name here} may be a genius to {insert name here}. Who's opinon I really value is the Artist and the the consumer because those are the people that are gonna buy the music. Not to say the producers arent buying and listening but there are alot of cats who material is not as up to par as the next and they say things in spite of "envy" example- yo that beat was HOT but he could've added more compression and reverb or it wasnt enuff bass and the so called critic's material is sounding like something off of my first fisher price beatmachine. So no I dont care what other producers think about my music cause of too many critics.

oh and i produce for anyone that wants to make good music.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207

not nessecarily ... producers often are unreliable critics in my honest view. Think of it this way. If I was toyota, would i care what Nissan thinks of my new car? Make music for fans, the people, and most of all yourself. Making music to dazzle and Impress other producers is kinda hustlin backwards.

That being said I will say that there are many producers whose opinion I HIGLY value, including many on this site.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just joined a crew this year and even though we take things seriously as far as skills and hard work we never forget to have fun with it. I used to care what other producers thought but now it's just us and our love for hip hop. I produce for myself and my crew and that's it... I'll jump in a beat battle or 2 when I got the time just cuz I enjoy that but I'm not out trying to sell beats to whoever is buying. I'm only putting work into solid projects and making sure I have fun while doing it. This kind of environment gets me mad creative and I'm proud of the way my recent work is sounding.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Put it this way, I value any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...aint to many cats gonna show you love in this field of music...especially producers who trinna make it to the same point in the game as the next man...its cutthroat sometimes.

First and foremost I make music to satisfy my self.
Hopefully people enjoy what I do, but my income from music can testify that thats not my reason for doing it.
And if I can mould a career out of my favorite pastime then thats a bonus right now. I would just like to contribute to the thing that I always got the most enjoyment from, good music.
And to get an opportunity to work with some of my favorite artists would be the best icing for the cake.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
========================================================
Primarily - I produce for my own love of music, competing against sound and my own perceived limitations to create "magic" in the studio. I like to drive around listening to my own music in my car too, for what its worth lol.

I also produce for my own projects/outlets. The beauty of this is that as a beatmaker/programmer, I have a built-in and placement. I've never needed to run around different cities trying to push beat CDs on unsuspecting artists, because I always have several projects that my work is placed in.

I also have a vast network of good friends in radio/tv/and film that regularly use my stuff.
If you're gonna give somebody a beat CD, the first people I would start with is independent filmakers - THEY would appreciate it most. When was the last time you watched a movie with no sound?

In terms of criticism - its funny. My circle of friends and associates are so brutally honest
that I don't really worry about "outside" opinions. My cousin and childhood friend of over 20 years are not involved in music at ALL but somehow they possess very GREAT ears for music and I've watched them hang out in studio sessions, listen to beat CDs with tracks that later became radio hits that they picked out and said "Tell _________(artist name here) to use that, its the one" lol.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I also have a vast network of good friends in radio/tv/and film that regularly use my stuff.
If you're gonna give somebody a beat CD, the first people I would start with is independent filmakers - THEY would appreciate it most. When was the last time you watched a movie with no sound?

This is very true I've had a few tracks of mine in tv shows and movies. I've dabbled in the film industry before and met more than enough contacts who are looking for good music. If someone uses a song in a movie it's just like sampleing... they gotta pay too. All the independent filmmakers out there can't afford to clear no samples either so they are very happy to know musicians who can score their stuff. What I get in return is a list of contacts who can get me music videos, or even a documentary about myself for promotion purposes.

G

Griffin Avid

You would think a producer could give you the best feedback since they would be familiar with production techniques. They may even know your samples and gear. Having an 'insiders perspective' should actually give you more credit for the style/direction you chose.

The Mastermind

This Illuminati Be Illin'
ill o.g.
I'm interested in what others have to say on my sounds, but I suppose I'm looking for technical help rather than critiques borne of personal taste. I've got an idea for what I'm trying to achieve and it is what it is. Still if folks is feeling it it helps to know.

What's the point of posting in the showcase if you don't want to hear anything back?

A producer doesn't have to be hot or better than me for me to listen to their feedback. For all I know said producer might have a long term DJ career and know what sounds good even if they don't quite know how to reproduce it yet.

You would think a producer could give you the best feedback since they would be familiar with production techniques. They may even know your samples and gear. Having an 'insiders perspective' should actually give you more credit for the style/direction you chose.
Thats the biggest reason for me to come onto illmuzik and showcase my music, I value the honesty and experience of the producers on ill, and Im forever in their debt for raising my game.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Thats the biggest reason for me to come onto illmuzik and showcase my music, I value the honesty and experience of the producers on ill, and Im forever in their debt for raising my game.

Yes you have finally started making music , like I used to make music..*sigh*
hahahah I just cant let that go, its just too good!

BROUSSARD BEATS

BroussardGoHard
ill o.g.
why do i produce mmmmm
i like to see other people on stage rocking my beat
and i like to give people a beat and let them recorded somewhere other then my studio and see how it sounds
but one thing people who know me, know im willing to help anyone who has drive
oo yea and you must out rap me lol

members online