Who pays who?

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
alright so im starting to meet some local artists that i want to collab with. problem is, as much as i feel like i should get paid for my beats, they wanna get paid for rhymin. have u guys ever gone through that? how do you handle? does both ends do it for free? it kinda makes sense but i dont know.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
what?
nahhhh

if they want beats, they pay.

Just Blaze didn't pay Saigon to rap on his beats when he first heard him, i.e

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i know what your saying. but im saying, if i come to them. if some one comes to me, yeah im charging. but if i go to them like "hey i would love to charge you 2oo bucks to rhyme on my beat". you guys still think i should charge them even if i go to them and they are more established then me?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Well they prolly dont know that they are more established than u. You can be a big name in conneticut or sumthin.

Just tell them you like their music and you would love to have them on ur tracks. play some beats and say "if your interested, we can work out a deal with a special price" or sum corny thing like that. When in reality, you dont have to work out any special arangement, just make em think u are

kbthakingpin

ill o.g.
Sanova said:
Well they prolly dont know that they are more established than u. You can be a big name in conneticut or sumthin.

Just tell them you like their music and you would love to have them on ur tracks. play some beats and say "if your interested, we can work out a deal with a special price" or sum corny thing like that. When in reality, you dont have to work out any special arangement, just make em think u are

EXACTLY !! Thas wassup as far as that goes. Yoo gotta act like yoo the shit when it comes to the beats if you think you is.. ya diG ? Yoo gotta make your money, if you got hot beats, then yoo sell um. They pay yoo, rap on your beat, and then gotta go and sell their completed tracks to the streets.

IMO You would be WRONG if you did NOT sell you beats. You would, in-turn, lose money.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
If there any good. Just might wanna just do it all free and split the rights to the recordings you do 50/50. Build each other portfolio. No im not saying give them beats free(you could if you wanted to). Just once its all done they keep the rights to there lyrics you to the rights to your instrumentals.

I've never really gone lookin for artist asking them to hop on my tracks though.

As far as not selling tracks losing money eh. i rather toss up a few tracks in return for some solid work in the future. I've had a few times I was working with an artist and we were talkin about 5 figures for a track. I was excited but word got around to him that i was really trying to get into another camps back pocket. Turns out he knew them very well. and said hey i can get you in good with em if you let me get this track free of you. I didn't want to do that. But i mean, now this guy has power to make or break me with these people. So yea i bent over gave it to him free. Got serveral 4 figure deals out of that and i still do alot of work with with both the group and artist that walked me in with a pass. So its kind of like a you scratch my back i'll scratch yours. you just have to be carefull on who you do it with. Think ahead.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
yo,,,Imma break it down like this bro,,,

they obviously aint on no major label,,,you aint either. If they want to by the beat,,then sell it. Ask them to jump on the track, if they want to get paid,,,find someone else. We as beatmakers/ producers,,,we dont need to pay anyone to showcase our talents,,its nice, but let ya beats speak for themselves. Everyone and there mother's a rapper these days. You ca find someone who's willin to get the exposure. Because exposure soemtimes is better then a couple hundred.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
anonymous_103 said:
alright so im starting to meet some local artists that i want to collab with. problem is, as much as i feel like i should get paid for my beats, they wanna get paid for rhymin. have u guys ever gone through that? how do you handle? does both ends do it for free? it kinda makes sense but i dont know.

It's a sticky situation when you're comin up and you wanna get your name out there,
if you give em out free, then you develop that reputation as the "free beat man" and when it comes time to charge $$$, artists are gonna front on you.

My solution to that situation is to only give away beats only IF its for a mixtape or project that you're releasing. I don't know if you've progressed to that level of releasing your own stuff yet and also I don't know how strong your network and hustle is my friend, but
as a beatmaker, you gotta get locked in with a couple talented artists in your area so that your beats will be heard in more places. There is not one beatmaker who hasn't done free work in order to get established, but the key is "how will giving this freebie away benefit me?" good luck.

booya_nang

A breath of fre$h air!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 76
I wouldn't pay any emcee to be on my beats...its the other way around, altho i don't always charge sometimes i give away freebies i never pay rappers to be on my beats

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Beatz 101 said:
i'd rap on my own shit before i pay a nigga to rap on my shit.

what i look like???.....

exactly.

That's fucked up they are tryna hustle you like that. You should tell them the beat is tight, their lyrics are tight, an the collaboration would be a great outcome for both of you. Neither of you have to pay anything, and you've both invested in it already (you putting forth the beat, them putting forth the lyrics).

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I gotta cosign shadeed on this one. Everything is based off your buzz. The way I feel is: If giving a nigga a couple dollars gets you a nice chunk of regional buzz, then go for it. Like for example, if the cats are about to release a mixtape that you know is gonna move 5-10,000 units (and you know this based on how many their last one sold), then negotiate something, anything, to get your shit on that mixtape. It'll pay off.

If they ain't got buzz then fuck 'em because they got inflated egos and are probly assholes anyway who been rapping for ten years and ain't going nowhere because of their attitudes. and if they ain't got buzz, then it might not be worth your time, unless they got hustle, because hustle today is buzz next year, betta believe that. But it also depends where you at. You gotta get cats to spit, and you gotta start with cats with no buzz, but you don't pay them and (early on) they won't be paying you. You just collab, burn 100 copies on you PC, print up some Neato labels, and give them away.

But I disagree on the 'free beat man' reputation. Its part of the hustle. when you build a buzz, they gonna come to you. That's when you start charging. And they can't front on you because they want a piece of your buzz.

members online