Who u think Is The Greatest Hip Hop Producer

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey I have seen this discussion quite a few times on here....LOL
Greatest of all time.......??? hmmmmm
That's hard....

Marley Marl...thanks for being the teacher for the next cat I got listed....
Pete Rock<----lot of stuff I hear till this day, just take a stroll to underground hip hop.com use his basic styles & elements and I am talking the top producers copy his style right now...a lot of kids mention all of the new producers being hot they need to really go listen to old Pete Rock not just the stuff he did with Cl or commercial...you will see he was an innovator...

RZA....again you just go listen to who hot right now they gotta thank this man right here..they implementing a whole lot of his style of sample usage and patterns....

Timbaland is up there somewhere but I can't decide where I would place him, but in terms of how you see producers like Kanye show versatility to do RnB and all kinds of projects not just Hip Hop......Timbaland was one of the first to do that all around shidd....

I would have listed Dre but his beginnings were not really hip hop centric...G funk band and running around in tights..that kinda off the path...but he found his way....but he only found his way to gangster rap production....he only got full fledged hip hop production billing recently..thats how I feel...but Dre is one of the Greatest though.....

I think right now I can't speak on any producer that is out right now being the greatest with the exception of Dre....theres a lot of people just copying each others styles big time now nothing turns me off more than a producer that cannot be original...so when I hear a couple a names mentioned on the list that been around maybe 4 or 5 years...they can't get in there yet.......when I look for greatness I think originality...Kanye & JUst Blaze stick out in my mind but just like in sports you gotta wait a while b4 you going in the hall of fame in my book......

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
philsiarri said:
Preemo : the most consistent and prolific. Also managed to considerably change his style to keep up with the times.

Don't get me wrong... DJ Premier is a God in my book.... But I don't see how he considerably changed his style. True, he did do a major switch-over from his earlier Gang-Starr work, with the heavy jazz samples (The Question Remains) , to a more abstract, chopped-sample style (Golden Child - Featuring Ras Kass)... That was pretty much the only switching up he did. His sampling method is a trademark. He's even still using the same drums since his big transition.

I can't lie, though. The formula works. Every track is unbelievably creative, innovative, and just plain good.

And what's wrong with you guys anyway?

Swizz Beats and Manny Fresh are the 2 greatest producers ever.
:laugh::tomato:

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Aside from those listed already, Large Professor's early work was incredible, Ced Gee was way ahead of his time, The Bomb Squad, Prince Paul, Beatminerz, D.I.T.C (Showbiz, Finesse, Diamond), etc.. some of these guys aren't as active today, but their contributions to the music is what makes them great producers.

L-LaMENT

Audio Artistic Slave
ill o.g.
I didn't get deep into Hip Hop music until I was in the 8th grade, and I'm only 18 years old. SO I don't know everything about older producers who were in the prime around the mid-90's. Like, even though I didn't listen to much music period as a child, some of the producers who stuck out in my mind were like Timbaland, Dre, and a little bit of the Neptunes...Even though Timbaland's stuff was what inspired me to start...I've since grown out on to diffrent styles n' such. As of right now I would rather say who I think will become legends over time....I would have to say RJD2, Kanye West, Stoupe, Mannie Fresh, Eminem, and definitely Organized Noize (I know they have been around for a long while but I feel like they never get enough credit as they should)

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey I did 4get Large Professor....on tha Real Imma tell you why I think he was better than Premo...Expert DJ, unbelievable Chopping Skillz and probably the best drums,(even better than Just Blazes...LOL Just Blaze has only got a couple kits he uses) large Pro have all kinds of sets, I heard him with his skillz on this undaground shidd I have...he snatch samples live and turn that shidd into a beat on the tables then let the song keep going Krazy....I mean you see a lot of people doing that but his skillz as a producer/turntablist...not to mention he could MC a lil....I would be willing to bet that some producers that are also hot have sampled his shidd.....no lie....

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dre

Has to be Dre. If were doing of all time, then he's been doing it for the longest time. Actualy he has been doing it from the beginning, AND has been responsible for major trend shifts in hip-hop production. Hands down

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1) Pete rock - His use of samples is too nice
2) Primo - No one can chop samples like him + his very consistant
3) Dre - pure artistic vision
4) Prince Paul - He came with some revolutionary stuff on De la souls' Three Feet High and Rising
5) Rjd2 + Madlib - For plain creativity and pushing the limits.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Shwaz said:
Has to be Dre. If were doing of all time, then he's been doing it for the longest time. Actualy he has been doing it from the beginning, AND has been responsible for major trend shifts in hip-hop production. Hands down
Yea but when you start basing shit on time, then LL Cool J ends up being the best mc.

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
If Rakim would have dropped his first single 2 years earlier, HE would be the one with the most longevity...
Instead, we have LL...

Disgusting.

M

MIKELABZ

mr mello said:
1) Pete rock - His use of samples is too nice
2) Primo - No one can chop samples like him + his very consistant
3) Dre - pure artistic vision
4) Prince Paul - He came with some revolutionary stuff on De la souls' Three Feet High and Rising
5) Rjd2 + Madlib - For plain creativity and pushing the limits.

IM GLAD MY DISTANT MENTOR GETTING SOME LOVE...PETE ROCK HANDS DOWN...

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
My All Time Graeates Is Primo! A Lot Of These Dudes Been Influenced By Him, The Guy Is Just Sick Wit It

Ca$h Pacasso

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Aight for the G.O.A.T award I have to go with: Primo....because of not only his longevity but also his style is unmatched. I mean you have people to try to imitate it but not the point where they totally got it down packed. I would say Dre but hes almost always had a team around him(musically). Pianist, Bass players, Guitarist, Other Producers(Scott Storch, DJ Quick, Elizondo, Hi-Tek, Daz, etc.) so on that note i gave it to Primo...But as far as right now my favorite is Kanye hands down. Because of his ability to be versatile, and bounce back and forth between the underground and mainstream artist and be sooo successful at the same time make other people successful is crazy. And to be honest gave Jay-Z's Blueprint that feel to it. And seeing the way he brings the beat to the artist with a vision for it and the whole shit he doesnt just look at his beats as instrumentals but epics and thats what keeps him hungry.(Check out the way he gave Jay-Z insight for every beat he played for him going on The Black Album and you can tell why people love to work with him hes so inspiring. And he has the longevity quality to him. Holla

K

krimzon redux

9The best producer is alchemist by far because he just knoz how to layer those trax way better then primo stoupe and 9th wonder.

S

slugabed

hmmmm.

madlib's probly my faVOurite, cos he's so diverse and has done soo much stuff.

kankick's fuckin dope n'all.

members online