Who's A Fan Of The Sweet Science? (Boxing)

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
I rarely do this, but I'd like to question this statement. Why is Floyd a " duck ass nigga"? And why are none of his prior fights "real"?
Here we goooooooooo. lol.

You know why though, unless youre a floyd fanboy (no disrespect).

But come on. I aint about to type up everything here.

And by the way, this fight is at a catch weight of 152.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/06/floyd-mayweather-jr-ive-never-fought-a-guy-at-a-catchweight/

"When asked about his advantages over opponents, Floyd told Tribune.com.ng, “Like I said before, I’ve never fought a guy at a catchweight. I don’t fight guys at catchweights. I don’t plaster my gloves. These are things I don’t do, because I’m not that type of guy.”

Mayweather is probably the GREATEST naturally talented boxer of the last 20 years.

I don't like him because he robs us fans of great fights by putting more importance on the money aspect than the sport aspect. Whether he hand picks his opponents based on fear of losing his undefeated title or because he'd rather make the most money possible each fight I can't call ( i think its a mix of both).

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Nah, it ain't like that. I just want to see your point of view. We can exchange ideas respectfully. Maybe you can enlighten me on some things, or I can do the same for you. We can agree to disagree afterwards.
Because this is my point of view:

The only fight that Floyd "robbed" the people of , and I wouldn't even use the word robbed, is the Pac-Man fight, but he had a partner in that. I say it was 50/50 as far as blame.

Is there another fight I am missing?
In my opinion, people are not a fan of Floyd because of 2 things. One, his mouth, which I totally understand that. If he wasn't so gifted, I don't think I would like him. Two, his style which for some is too cautious.
But as far as his resume,... it's pretty damn good.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Nah, it ain't like that. I just want to see your point of view. We can exchange ideas respectfully. Maybe you can enlighten me on some things, or I can do the same for you. We can agree to disagree afterwards.
Because this is my point of view:

The only fight that Floyd "robbed" the people of , and I wouldn't even use the word robbed, is the Pac-Man fight, but he had a partner in that. I say it was 50/50 as far as blame.

Is there another fight I am missing?
In my opinion, people are not a fan of Floyd because of 2 things. One, his mouth, which I totally understand that. If he wasn't so gifted, I don't think I would like him. Two, his style which for some is too cautious.
But as far as his resume,... it's pretty damn good.
He wouldnt fight cotto back in 08 because cotto wasnt "big enough". He fights him 2 years later after the margarito plaster beating and the pacquaio loss.

He turned down margarito back in 2006 when everybody was afraid to fight him, before we found out he was cheating.

He refused to fight paul williams too, although he'd gladly fight him now (too soon?) lol.

These are the ones i can think off right off the bat. He'll find bs reasons not to fight people he thinks may be able to beat him. Drug testing was never an issue until the pacquiaio fight wouldnt go away. then it becomes his reason like he's some chamption of clean fighting. now that pac has taken 2 loses, the last one being really devestating, mayweather will possibly fight him. once a great boxer is on the decline, he takes the fight.

but canelo is on the rise and has not reached his peak yet. this is why this is gonna be dope.

Floyd's resume is not that damn good, and i equate it to this metaphor:

In hip hop, the "best emcee" holds that title as long as he can retain it against any other emcees who want to battle and take that crown.

If Floyd were the best emcee and he refused to battle 3 of the current bar for bar (in boxing, pound for pound) emcees, and instead battled an emcee ranked 10th, sure he would beat him...

But would you still consider him #1?

ill o.g.
I really dig your analogy with hiphop bro.
About Floyd's comp

Guerrero was the #3 welterweight at the time coming off wins against Berto and Selcuk Aydin (who was undefeated )

Cotto was the champ in that fight. It was for his belt. He just beat Margarito, Mayorga and Forman (if u want to make a case for someone fighting lesser comp, I think Cotto's your man).

Ortiz was also the champ, he beat Berto (also he was around 25 yrs old)

Pause- all the previous have claimed that Floyd ducked them and none were considered washed up prior.

Mosley- the most suspect on the list except... he had just won a belt and early in his career, he was accused of ducking Floyd.

Marquez- at the time he was top 5 pound for pound. Some talk about him jumping up in weight, but I would tell those people to Google how many times Floyd has done just that, and what were the results.

Hatton- This is when I had to admit Floyd was next level. I swore Hatton was going to win. He had just retired the legendary Kostya Tszyu 2 years earlier. He just beat Castillio for the belt. He was undefeated.

Oscar-was the title holder and the cash cow of the time. Of course Floyd is gonna take that.

Not to mention the guy before, who was supposed to be a dangerous fight because he was so big, and had not lost in 8 years. (Baldomir)

No number 10 rankings on that list.

If Floyd wins, rest assured it will be one reason or another besides the guys talent and stamina. It will be Canelo was too young, or something.

He's no Sugar Ray Leonard, but he ain't that far from him.

Research the dudes' stamina. Forget the speed and defense. Go look at tape of how the guy is breathing in the 8,9th and 10th rounds as opposed to his opponent. Unreal.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
I really dig your analogy with hiphop bro.
About Floyd's comp

Guerrero was the #3 welterweight at the time coming off wins against Berto and Selcuk Aydin (who was undefeated )

Cotto was the champ in that fight. It was for his belt. He just beat Margarito, Mayorga and Forman (if u want to make a case for someone fighting lesser comp, I think Cotto's your man).

Ortiz was also the champ, he beat Berto (also he was around 25 yrs old)

Pause- all the previous have claimed that Floyd ducked them and none were considered washed up prior.

Mosley- the most suspect on the list except... he had just won a belt and early in his career, he was accused of ducking Floyd.

Marquez- at the time he was top 5 pound for pound. Some talk about him jumping up in weight, but I would tell those people to Google how many times Floyd has done just that, and what were the results.

Hatton- This is when I had to admit Floyd was next level. I swore Hatton was going to win. He had just retired the legendary Kostya Tszyu 2 years earlier. He just beat Castillio for the belt. He was undefeated.

Oscar-was the title holder and the cash cow of the time. Of course Floyd is gonna take that.

Not to mention the guy before, who was supposed to be a dangerous fight because he was so big, and had not lost in 8 years. (Baldomir)

No number 10 rankings on that list.

If Floyd wins, rest assured it will be one reason or another besides the guys talent and stamina. It will be Canelo was too young, or something.

He's no Sugar Ray Leonard, but he ain't that far from him.

Research the dudes' stamina. Forget the speed and defense. Go look at tape of how the guy is breathing in the 8,9th and 10th rounds as opposed to his opponent. Unreal.
These are all valid points. The thing is if he fought cotto years ago, it wouldve been way more dangerous for him.

Ortiz fucked up a great chance, what a fucking asshole. At the same time a true champ doesnt throw 2 blows like that regardless of "protect yourself at all times" but thats another thread lol.

Word man, if Hatton was more disciplined he wouldve had a close shot. He cant drop the street brawler aspect of himself tho. Which is the trait about him that I loved to begin with.

I dont think anyone trains harder than floyd in any sport. Dude trains so hard that he eats fast food. He trains consistently even between fights. Hes a naturally skilled boxer who's discipline and hard work has sculpted him into a fucking machine.

My gripe is just fight who is the current pound for pound best. Thats all we want!!

I love shit talking boxers as long as they back it up. Remember naseem? dude was the king of arrogance and shit talk but he fought whoever was the top dog in line. But when he finally lost his ego couldnt handle it and that was that. Which is what i predict will happen to mayweather if and when he suffers an L.

4 fights left after canelo so who knows.

ill o.g.
These are all valid points. The thing is if he fought cotto years ago, it wouldve been way more dangerous for him.

Ortiz fucked up a great chance, what a fucking asshole. At the same time a true champ doesnt throw 2 blows like that regardless of "protect yourself at all times" but thats another thread lol.

I love shit talking boxers as long as they back it up. Remember naseem? dude was the king of arrogance and shit talk but he fought whoever was the top dog in line. But when he finally lost his ego couldnt handle it and that was that. Which is what i predict will happen to mayweather if and when he suffers an L.

4 fights left after canelo so who knows.

I can respect that. I just like seeing excellence. I liked the Mosely fight because I wanted to see how Floyd would react to getting rocked twice. I liked the Hatton and Ortiz fights to sees how Floyd would react to someone bullying him and roughing him up. I liked seeing Jordan when teams threw different things his way. I wanna see if Tiger can get to 18 after everything that has happened.

The best of all time? Floyd is not in the top 20 . But he's prolly the 3rd best I have actually seen, behind Ali and Ray Leonard.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
I can respect that. I just like seeing excellence. I liked the Mosely fight because I wanted to see how Floyd would react to getting rocked twice. I liked the Hatton and Ortiz fights to sees how Floyd would react to someone bullying him and roughing him up. I liked seeing Jordan when teams threw different things his way. I wanna see if Tiger can get to 18 after everything that has happened.

The best of all time? Floyd is not in the top 20 . But he's prolly the 3rd best I have actually seen, behind Ali and Ray Leonard.
Indeed. Mosely and Cotto are the only dudes that legitimately rocked that dude. I think canelo will be able to too.

It's a damn shame ortiz fight ended like that tho, imagine just a few more rounds what couldve happened?

Floyd has mastered the shoulder roll and pull counter and to watch him execute them with such perfection is fucking beautiful.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
If I had to bet on it, I think floyd would win, but get the first knock down of his career.
I'd be happy with that!

I'd root for Canelo though. But i would respect floyd if he won.

members online