Why are 12" singles important

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
I'm fairly new to crate digging, but I enjoy it immensely, however my buying habits tend to be mostly LPs from dollar bins and thrift store/pawn shops and also the occasional 45s. But I noticed that most really serious diggers collect 12" singles, so what's the importance of collecting 12" singles?

Please keep in mind I dig because I beatsmith, not because I'm the collector type, and not to DJ (mainly 'cause I don't know how to DJ, or I most definitely would).

i think if you dj'ed you would understand the importance of 12" singles.
They are much easier to work with when doing a set.

You can set a play order by how they are stacked in the case, you can put one on and know where it starts without trying to see in low light conditions where that particular track starts, they are often remixes and versions not on albums, many used to have acapella versions and or instrumentals which could be mixed together to make new versions/remixes.

Like I said, they are also much easier to work with.

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
So, what about old-school records, like the '70s era, would those 12" have instrumentals, acapellas, or alternate versions of tracks? Because as a producer those things could be valuable tools, from that era.

Also since we broached the subject, I would like to develop DJ skills, any good resources for that kind of training? Y'know, books, DVDs, courses, etc...

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
I think I saw one of those once, but they're pretty Turntablist centered, I'm looking more the party-style DJ-ing mixing (less competitive), and I'd like to know how to cut vocals...something about a beat with vocal cuts on it, lol.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
12" are much better for example when finding a part of a song, you have more room on the record to needle drop. But that's more turntablist like you said.

For mixing, I find it's just easier with 12's instead of LP's. Again, because there's more room on the record and less skipping than an LP.

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
Basic dj tutorial

- get 2 tt's and a mixer
- practice one hour every day

the rest really comes by itself

Lol, I have 2 turntables and a mixer, both Stanton, and did exactly what you just said from the ages of 13 to 18, didn't get me any closer to knowing even the basics of DJ-ing.

Sorry I'm just not that type of learner, I had the same problems with Guitar and Bass until I actually found tutelage in somebody competent, nowadays I'm somewhat of a beast on those two instruments. Instrumentation, and the turntable is very much now an instrument, is something I've never been able to pick up through intuition but did very exceptional with the aid of explanation/instruction/tutorial. Not everyone has the ability to pick up instruments through some sort of practice-based osmosis of information. Don't get me wrong, practice is very integral for me after I learn the techniques, but it does me no good beforehand, and it's even less kind to my psyche, as constant practice leading to repeated failures is a recipe for insanity.

So I take it most of the DJ Tutorial DVDs on the market are garbage? Except maybe for Q-bert's series...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Lol, I have 2 turntables and a mixer, both Stanton, and did exactly what you just said from the ages of 13 to 18, didn't get me any closer to knowing even the basics of DJ-ing.

Sorry I'm just not that type of learner, I had the same problems with Guitar and Bass until I actually found tutelage in somebody competent, nowadays I'm somewhat of a beast on those two instruments. Instrumentation, and the turntable is very much now an instrument, is something I've never been able to pick up through intuition but did very exceptional with the aid of explanation/instruction/tutorial. Not everyone has the ability to pick up instruments through some sort of practice-based osmosis of information. Don't get me wrong, practice is very integral for me after I learn the techniques, but it does me no good beforehand, and it's even less kind to my psyche, as constant practice leading to repeated failures is a recipe for insanity.

what music are you trying to mix ?

So I take it most of the DJ Tutorial DVDs on the market are garbage? Except maybe for Q-bert's series...

He has great tutorials, lots of em on youtube but at the same time he can be very demotivational lol the sheer awesomeness often just puts me off like i still miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles to go when it comes to turntablism.

I once gave a dude an mpc workshop since after a year he still couldnt figure it out, he asked if it was cool if he'd bring along his dj and i was like... aight. So at that day cat comes in with his vestax 06, we set it up then i spend 2 hrs explaining mpc workflows n tidbits till it became a bit to much so his dj would step up and play a bit.

Seriously.. that dude just blew up qbert style and i was awestruck, stfuíng and watching. He later won 4 consecutive years @ turntablized (NL) and 3x the dmc's. The day he dropped by my studio he was in it for 2,5 years, one hour a day and watching the qbert shit. Granted the kid got talent lol but it where you start and if your dedicated then you get mad skills.

Im not that dedicated, ive always been dj'ing (mixing) in various genres and its like riding a bike but turntablism is more demanding and ive got so much other stuff. Ive got a nice scratch, i can loop alright .. my crabs still suck but thats fine, i like doing more than focus all i got on turntablism.

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
Yeah, I'm not really trying to learn turntablism, I'd just like to know how to rock a hip-hop crowd from behind the 1's & 2's basic juggling, break beat looping, novice scratches, vocal cuts, beat matching, blending/mash-up, that kinda stuff.

I mean I can construct a beat live, and rock a mic, or even cut the beat altogether and do spoken word, but I can't do a thing behind two turntables and a mixer.

Yeah, I'm not really trying to learn turntablism, I'd just like to know how to rock a hip-hop crowd from behind the 1's & 2's basic juggling, break beat looping, novice scratches, vocal cuts, beat matching, blending/mash-up, that kinda stuff.

I mean I can construct a beat live, and rock a mic, or even cut the beat altogether and do spoken word, but I can't do a thing behind two turntables and a mixer.

so you dont want to learn turntablism to do turntablism?

now i am confused.

juggling is turntablism, scratching is turntablism, dj'ing is turntablism.
just like rap is hip hop.
how far you take that turntablism is up to you. but its still turntablism.
beat matching is about as basic as it gets, after just sliding the crossfader, i thinks its the most basic type of mix. Like formant said, practice. Like all things you get better and learn new things by practicing and by making mistakes, some which sound good and lead to a whole new realisation.
Heres a tip for beatmixing......
mark your records with their bpms so you know visually when arranging a set which tracks will beat mix easier within a tight bpm range, maybe starting at the slowest and finishing with the quickest or vice versa. this takes time, but a bit of time polishing the weapons, makes it easier to win the war without misfires. this also applies to mashups, having to speed up a pella or an instrumental too much can make it sound wrong, but then sometimes it can sound really good.
Heres a tip for basic scratching.......get the qbert tutorials and just watch the baby scratch video. Its the most basic scratch.
And heres a tip for life in general... if you want to get good at something...Practice it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I used to just study DMC routines until my eyes fell out and picked up lots of tricks from that alone. But there's no tutorials out there that will help all the way because it wall boils down to practice. If you want to DJ a party, practice doing that at home but learn from every bit of information you can get, including turntablism stuff.

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
BTW, I said basic scratching & juggling, even DJ's in my town that only spin on radio and night clubs do the occasional scratch and juggle a 2-4 bar loop every now & then, and they are far from turntablist.

I need and intelligible knowledge of the techniques and terminologies the practically all walks of DJs know, the standard things, before I learn that in a way my brain can grasp, I won't be able to practice, because I don't know what to practice, plain & simple.

As far as turntablism goes, learning to cut vocals, ala early-90's Premier-style is the only thing that really interests me in that realm...like I don't really have much use for things like an Eight-Finger Crab Scratch.

Is there a book or DVD out there that covers the basics that any DJ should know extensively?

BTW, I said basic scratching & juggling, even DJ's in my town that only spin on radio and night clubs do the occasional scratch and juggle a 2-4 bar loop every now & then, and they are far from turntablist.

basic scratching and juggling is the first step of turntablism. regardless of how you envision it.

I need and intelligible knowledge of the techniques and terminologies the practically all walks of DJs know, the standard things, before I learn that in a way my brain can grasp, I won't be able to practice, because I don't know what to practice, plain & simple.
If you cannot grasp a simple concept of two songs playing in sync then there may be trouble ahead.
You will need to understand 4 bars, 8 bars and 16 bars and syncing at the right time.

As far as turntablism goes, learning to cut vocals, ala early-90's Premier-style is the only thing that really interests me in that realm...
oh those vocal scratches that are turntablism?

regardless of the sound to be scratched : vocals, beats, sfx,
the scratches are the same scratches just applied to different sounds.

there are quite a few types of scratch.
and then there are patterns on the crossfader.

when you combine the two you have turntablism.

Is there a book or DVD out there that covers the basics that any DJ should know extensively?

Like i already said.... THE QBERT VIDEOS.
And there is no shortcut, no dvd or guide will make you a decent dj, only practice to get the timing and technique honed will make you decent. And listen to mixtapes and study what is happening.

Im sure if you try the university of youtube you will find many djing tutorials.

for example...

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
LOL, maybe I should ask this question differently, Scratch DJ Academy in New York has a class called DJ 101, now I don't have the money to spend 6-weeks in New York City taking weekly classes, though I'd love to, so, other than the Q-bert stuff, is there a DVD/Book/Software equivalent to what they would be offering in a class like that?