Why do people buy Apple products?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I never have, never will.

I'm just curious as to why people still buy anything Apple considering the whole "right to repair" issue, and of course their slave labour. Apple is consistently a shitty company with shitty practices, all to make more money.

Yet I still see so many people buying their products. Why? Why not just get something else?

Phone? Try Android.

PC/Laptop/Tablet? Tons of options.

Why Apple? Their "ecosystem"? Okay, so what? You can accomplish all your work or whatever with a PC or phone without Apple. I think it's ingrained into everyone's heads that they need Apple for some reason.

DAW? Crazy Windows options. Even Linux (even though it's not 100% of course) has DAWs.

PC? There's Windows, and if you're tech savvy, Linux. I really don't understand why so many people have a massive boner for Apple.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I dont get it either. Its like a cult.
It's not to shit on Apple (okay maybe a bit), but I'm just curious. I seriously don't understand why everyone wants an iphone. Why? Most apps are on both Apple and Android.

For PC, there's lots of options. Most regular computer stuff can be done just inside the browser. I dual boot with Linux and Windows. I only use Windows when I'm using my DAW or I want to play games (which is rare). But most of the time I'm in Linux because it has everything I need. A lot is done in the browser.

So I'm just wondering why people really want a new iphone or Mac.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I never have, never will.
Probably why you don't know how good they are...lmao

ok here we go. You know I make my living in technology and part of what I do is price out high end tech for companies. So knowing this stuff is my life. I live in the Microsoft, Google and Apple ecosystems all day every day. So I see it all. Microsoft has the business ecosystem on absolute lock down and NO ONE can compete with them in that space right now.

For the record Android phones work just fine and you can absolutely make plenty of music and do real records on Windows (and Linux as I have). I have made MANY records on Windows PC's alone. Good? Good? ok...

First off lets get right to repair out of the way. I am a HUGE proponent of right to repair and I disagreed with Apple's stance on it (although pretty much every other tech company is doing the same thing) Apple has come full circle on this and now actually encourages and helps people repair their products and will help them. Check out this link about it. So Im thrilled that they got on board with right to repair and I no long have an issue with Apple on it.

Second when it comes to slave labor, Apple actually has one of the best track records in the business. The worst are ASUS and Samsung. You should NEVER own a Samsung product for ANY reason. We can talk more about Samsung in another thread if you like. When Apple finds slave labor in their supply chain, they announce it publicly and quickly cut ties with the suppliers that they caught or at minimum force the supplier to shape up. This issue plagues the entire tech industry bad and I hate it. But if you aren't buying Apple for that reason then I got REAL bad news for you. Because almost every other hardware tech company is substantially worse. And don't say Foxconn, literally everyone from Intel, to Dell to LG all use Foxconn, its a city of over 50k people and has some of the best working conditions in the world for that type of labor. Again companies like ASUS are WORSE by a wide margin.

Now on to why Apple is better as a whole.

#1 Product quality. Once in a while Apple has a product that just isn't right and is a dud (no one is perfect) , but overall their products are simply built better and last longer than their competitors. They use top quality materials and think through the manufacturer process in ways other companies just don't. On average a Mac will last about two years long then a similar spec Windows computer. Now if you want to talk duds I think the puck mouse was terrible and they waited WAY too long to fix their recent keyboard design flaw. But those missteps are rare with them and every company makes mistakes. I have NEVER found an Android phone that is as well built as an iPhone. The Pixel is pretty close though and probably what I would choose if I went android again. I have owned personally probably four androids and six iPhones over the years.

#2 Cost. Most of the time Apple products are actually cheaper over the life of the product. Since they typically work better than Windows and last longer because they are built and designed better. IBM did a study and found over the life time of the computer Macs are $535 on average less expensive than a PC. Check out the link here Currently the new Mac studio is actually by far the cheapest way to get that level of performance, if you compare it to a similar Dell or HP. Of course that ebb's and flows over time and prices change constantly but I have never seen a Mac be more then 10-15% higher then a similar Windows machine from another company like Dell. Again most people are absolutely clueless in pricing out technology. So people just get it wrong. Also Apple supports their phones for YEARS longer with software updates than any Android manufacturer i'm aware of. So not upgrading as often certainly saves money. Oh and slowing down phones so they don't just shut off when the battery is starting to fail was a GOOD thing and I wish Google would add that feature to Android. My android devices ALL start randomly rebooting and shutting down when their batteries start to go bad, so don't give me that one either. Apples mistake was not disclosing it better. If they really wanted to force upgrades why do they support older phones with software updates so long? IOS 15 still runs on the iPhone 6's. Those came out in 2016. Almost six years ago. Show me a single Android phone that is still supported officially after six years. You are lucky to get three on Android.

#3 The operating system. I prefer MacOS HANDS DOWN OVER THE DUMPSTER FIRE THAT IS WINDOWS. It just works so much better and makes logical sense vs Windows nonsense. Don't even get me started on how messy Linux is. MacOS is also based on FreeBSD so you get the full *nix command line in MacOS and I use that all the time. Kinda the best of Linux and Mac in that regard. Although Windows can do Linux command line now as well. Windows user interface design ESPECIALLY Windows 11 looks like a retarded six year old high on paint thinner came up with it. Absolutely disaster.

#4 Low latency audio built in to the Kernel of the OS. iOS and MacOS just DESTROY Android and Windows on this one. How they handle audio devices is so superior its not even funny. There is a reason there is a 10 to 1 ratio of audio apps for iPhone vs Android. Windows can get there with ASIO. But having it baked in to the OS can make a world of difference.

#5 Privacy and security. SO Google is an ad company and actively collects data on you. My network engineer friends can actually see the telemetry of Android phones over the network. Windows is pretty bad as well. Apple has taken a pretty firm stand on privacy and actually stood up to the FBI on multiple occasions on this, and I appreciate it. They don't always get it right, for sure. But they are still by far the most privacy conscious of the big tech companies. Personally I don't think this is altruistic on Apples part (Although Jobs was a dirty hippie that hated the government and personal privacy was a huge issue for him, but I don't know how much of his DNA is still at the company ) Apples business model is such that they make a profit on the hardware rather then your data, like Google and Facebook do. Google is absolutely not to be trusted for any reason ever. So Android is a HARD pass from me. I don't even use Google search any more because their data collection has gotten so bad.

#6 Less tech issues. I support over 400+ IOS devices and about 80 Android devices. over 70% of my mobile support issues come from Android. Apples "it just works" reputation is well earned and again even IBM confirmed. Its very rare to have a software issue on my Mac. It's pretty rare in Windows land too, but its still much more common on the Windows side.

#7 The Ecosystem. If you have never used it, you just don't know how amazing it is. There is NO other consumer hardware that works as well together as Apples, I get all my texts on my Mac, my iPad, my iPhone. I can throw a video from my phone to my Apple TV in one click and it just works (unlike chrome cast) I can tie in my home automation system to my Apple Watch. I can probably give you a hundred more examples of Apples echo system just working perfect out of the box. Apples integration is just insane in a way that Microsoft and Google dream of. Its truly remarkable and if you haven't seen it you don't have a clue how good it is. maybe you can work real hard and get all that working together with Windows and Android but it simply isn't as seamless at all. It also would take TONS of time to setup and could break easily. Where Apple just works out of the box.

#8 They embrace creators. Im blown away to see any artist trash Apple. They specifically cater to us. creatives. In a way no other company save Adobe has. They think about the creative market when they are designing products. Do you think Microsoft gives all that much thought to creatives? no way.

#9 Exclusive software. I like Logic and Final cut pro quite a bit. Pro tools STILL runs better on a Mac etc. Not saying that Logic is the end all be all. It certainly isn't. Studio one/Cubase/Reaper are great too. But Logic is pretty amazing and for the money is impossible to beat.

So to recap. Apple products are actually cheaper, more reliable, easier to use, last longer, designed better and offer more privacy.

Not saying that Windows doesn't work great or that Android isn't a viable option. They certainly are and do. But there are very good and compelling reasons to use Apple. No one is a idiot for playing in that sandbox.

@Fade does that answer your question?

Reactions: TWU

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Also I just want to add that Google still hasn’t figured out how to make a decent texting app. Just pick one and go with it man. iMessage is MUCH better then anything on Android. Better texting is a VERY compelling reason to go IPhone over Android.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
LOL, I was waiting for that response. I get all of that, but I'm just wondering why people in general buy Apple. I guess it's just the stylish brand, but I just don't know why the average person sticks to Apple when they know there's other stuff out there.

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
LOL, I was waiting for that response. I get all of that, but I'm just wondering why people in general buy Apple. I guess it's just the stylish brand, but I just don't know why the average person sticks to Apple when they know there's other stuff out there.

I've used Apple and many other brands and I must say the quality of Apple products really stand out. It's not just a marketing thing as many people believe it to be.

It's like choosing a leather jacket over a fabric one. It's way more expensive but it's well worth the money.

If there is a minus to Apple, it's the edges of my MacBook that are vulnerable to damages and the original apple accessories for it are $$$.

if (MacOS > Windows && iOS > Android) {
return toUpperCase("buy apple");
}

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Seriously wtf, after my long, detailed and logical explanation with sources and studies you still say “I guess it’s just the stylish brand” come on now. You didn’t read a word I said. I think you and @2GooD Productions have a pre conceived bias for some reason and don’t want to change your thinking. Or actually know the answer to your question. Apple is specifically better for the average person. Since you have never used an Apple product how would you know?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I read your post, and that's why YOU buy Apple, that's fine. But I think the average Apple user is not tech-savvy and just goes with Apple for being stylish.

Plus I never said I've never used Apple, I have, I just never bought their shit. I was gifted a tablet and phone years ago (hand-me-downs) but didn't care for it. I didn't see the point in those products when I could accomplish the same stuff with something else.

If you love Apple, that's cool, but like I said, there's tons of options which maybe the average person is not aware of. I just hate the way they do business like not having a headphone jack or USB port (maybe they changed that recently?), shitty practices like that. Or selling a stand separate from the monitor. C'mon, not cool.

I get your points, it seems like their ecosystem is on point, but I guess it's best for people that use the entire ecosystem. I'm the type to use just this and that, whatever fits my needs.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
See, that’s where the perception is different from reality, selling a high end custom monitor stand for the video editing market is super common and in line with the rest of that industry. That product was never meant for the average consumer. Their price on it is about 10% higher then the nearest competitor. On Macs they have brought back ports in general, and I’m glad they did. I think having so few was in line with Apples minimal ethos, which is nothing new. But I think it was a missstep to have one port. Luckily they corrected corse there. Now removing the headphone Jack on the phone I’m mixed about. It seems clear to me that they want a fully wireless phone with no jacks at all in the near term and I think that’s pretty cool. I rarely have to plug my iPhone in these days.

That being said I think two products that Apple is absolutely best if breed is tablets and smart watches. There really isn’t a decent competitor to the iPad for example and the Apple Watch is objectively the best smart watch on the market.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I've used Mac and Apple a lot, and in my experience they've bugged put way more than any windows machine I've used. When they freeze it's a reallt uncomfortable feeling. I like clicking on things in windows, in mac land it feels weird or "numb".

A reason mac expenditure over courseof ownership is cheaper is because there is less option to do anything with it, whereas with windows you can go to towm with customisation and upgrading.

I went to Art college and at least 10 of my classmates all had their harddrives fail on their macbook during the first semester.

It's not as bad now but for the majority of the years all you ever hear is people running around asking "anyone have an iPhone charger?" as their batteries were absolute dog shit.

I know music producers using mac too and see them constantly moaning about the updates and how they ruin certaim things etc especially in conjunction with logic or dumb shit tht occurs in logic.

To assert people buy apple products "because they're better" is a bit hopeful to say the least. Majority of their fanbase don't have a clue about quality.

Most people buy Apple for the exact same reason they buy Air Jordans.

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
I've used Mac and Apple a lot, and in my experience they've bugged put way more than any windows machine I've used. When they freeze it's a reallt uncomfortable feeling. I like clicking on things in windows, in mac land it feels weird or "numb".

A reason mac expenditure over courseof ownership is cheaper is because there is less option to do anything with it, whereas with windows you can go to towm with customisation and upgrading.

I went to Art college and at least 10 of my classmates all had their harddrives fail on their macbook during the first semester.

It's not as bad now but for the majority of the years all you ever hear is people running around asking "anyone have an iPhone charger?" as their batteries were absolute dog shit.

I know music producers using mac too and see them constantly moaning about the updates and how they ruin certaim things etc especially in conjunction with logic or dumb shit tht occurs in logic.

To assert people buy apple products "because they're better" is a bit hopeful to say the least. Majority of their fanbase don't have a clue about quality.

That's funny because i've experienced exact the opposite. I've had several laptops from different brands in the past decade and they all(!!) broke down. (Several HD crashes, power/battery issues, cooling issues etc.) The same with my phones. After a year of using a Samsung I had to recharge it every day, while my iPhone battery still lasts for a minimum of 3 days after 2.5 years of use.
I also found that MacOS and iOS work way more intuitive than Windows and Android.

Again, i've used both and was always a bit sceptic about Apple products until I started using them.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.

Did you miss the long and in depth study I posted where IBM found that Macs are about $500 a year cheaper then PC’s because they are more reliable and cause less tech support issues? That was a massive study over many years. So more then just hopeful.

And yeaaa apple destroyed Android in battery life up until about four years ago. Now it’s pretty similar.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
It's mad how hard and cult-like apple people are pushing apple like their life actually depends on it.

Actually bordering on the vibe of religious-nutjob.

Telling you you're outright wrong and that apple is the perfect brand.

I'm actually surprised they haven't started saying "if you don't use apple you go to hell", that's the actual vibe of this thread right now.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
I literally posted no less the four criticisms of apple in my first post. Trying to claim its cult to me kinda shows you are out of decent arguments. I don’t give too shits what tech anyone uses. But don’t point at Apple users and say they are dumb or it’s just a fashion thing. Because Apple products have real and tangible benefits which I outlined. There are great reasons to use mac products and great reasons for an average consumer. Don’t you think the average person wants to save money for example? Don’t you think people like their tech working reliability?

Certainly there are plenty of great windows computers, or course. But this notion that Apple is overpriced junk is nonsense.

Last edited:

members online