Why do products need so many updates?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
With all the drama going on in the Maschine forums where users are constantly complaining about this and that, I've been wondering why updates or new versions are needed so often.

It's like the iphone for example. Each year a new version comes out, but why? Besides the money involved, there's no need for Apple to release a new one each year.

The same applies to music gear or software. If it works, it works, so just use it, right? I understand if there's bugs that need to be worked out, that's a must, but to release new versions just for the hell of it makes no sense except to simply satisfy your buyers.

In the case of Maschine users, I know there's bugs that need fixing but the majority of the software is absolutely fine. I just don't understand why those same people are not spending their time making music rather than complaining online every day.

What do you think?

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
Idk why products need sooo many updates... It's like every time I turn on an electronic device (computer, playstation, phone, etc) it requires some kind of update. It's like to keep up with consumers, these company's feel like they need to put out new versions of their software every year/few months. Instead of spending more time on the product and working out all of the bugs before releasing it to the consumer, they just put it out as is b/c they know they can send out updates when things dont work how they should...

It always makes me think, "I remember the times when there was no online gaming or cloud based storage or when the internet wasnt a "common thing" everyone had... Those companies would have to make sure their product was top notch before releasing, b/c there wasnt any way to update or fix the problems."

I see it a lot in gaming... Every year a new Call of Duty comes out, and the first few months people complain about how bad it is... Then after a few updates the game is up to par. Why not just wait a few months and put out something that actually works?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You're right. Thinking back to the earlier days without the internet or when it wasn't so popular, products had to be actually GOOD before being released.

So I guess the other question is why are these companies releasing products that are subpar?

tieb

ILLIEN
Nothing here yet.

Lol I'll stop complaining. These samples aren't gettin any easier.

You're right. Thinking back to the earlier days without the internet or when it wasn't so popular, products had to be actually GOOD before being released.

So I guess the other question is why are these companies releasing products that are subpar?

Mann, it's like they in a rush to get the product on the market, before they fix every bug they release it to consumer. and have the nerve to say "report any bugs", that's yo job G, I ain't getting paid to beta test software. smh

S3oulC1ty

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 351
Mann, it's like they in a rush to get the product on the market, before they fix every bug they release it to consumer. and have the nerve to say "report any bugs", that's yo job G, I ain't getting paid to beta test software. smh
uhmmm... Idk what my sample flip has to do with this but.... ok lol

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I work in IT...software to be exact. The bottom line is....money. If you're not releasing shit regularly, people will move over to someone that is, bugs or not. But then you get into customers complaining about bugs, while at the same time, wanting you to put shit out faster. It's a catch 22.

JCFAX81

Beatmaker
i also work in software testing, and whilst i appreiciate that everything cannot be tested within set timescales, i would be embarrassed if i worked for some of these game companies that release these half tested games. I reckon 99.9% of games now come with a day one patch (which i understand to some degree), but man, some games are just buggy messes when released!