Why I'm Frowning On My Mpc...

30CRATES

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 22
my last and final gear purchase was the blue mpc2000XL JOINT with the card reader. $400 buck!!!!!! even though i really didnt need it, i copped it anyway because the price was too good to be true. my normal setup is a proteus 2000, fantom xr, akai s950 , jv1080, and midi controller. i sequence in logic 5 for pc. i have been using the mpc somewhat, but its slowing my creative process in various ways.

#1. to me, its a hassle because u have to name everything in order to keep track of sounds, sequences, and songs. i hate using those pads and data wheel to assign names. much more easier in my program.

#2. my logic is set up so that whatever module i highlight, thats the one im using. if i need my proteus, boom, i pull up my 2000. when i midi my modules to the 2000xl, i gotta remember which modules are a, and b. also which sounds are on which channel etc. much more easier to manage in logic.

#3. chopping, and tuning samples in the mpc for me, takes a lil longer cause im still getting used to it. i love the pads and multi levels, but i chop shit in my s950 with ease. the only drawback is 12bit sound and limited sample time. basically, if i use my mpc for samples i sequence them in logic.

overall, the mpc is def a studio essential, i'm just good using logic.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
30CRATES said:
my last and final gear purchase was the blue mpc2000XL JOINT with the card reader. $400 buck!!!!!! even though i really didnt need it, i copped it anyway because the price was too good to be true. my normal setup is a proteus 2000, fantom xr, akai s950 , jv1080, and midi controller. i sequence in logic 5 for pc. i have been using the mpc somewhat, but its slowing my creative process in various ways.

#1. to me, its a hassle because u have to name everything in order to keep track of sounds, sequences, and songs. i hate using those pads and data wheel to assign names. much more easier in my program.

#2. my logic is set up so that whatever module i highlight, thats the one im using. if i need my proteus, boom, i pull up my 2000. when i midi my modules to the 2000xl, i gotta remember which modules are a, and b. also which sounds are on which channel etc. much more easier to manage in logic.

#3. chopping, and tuning samples in the mpc for me, takes a lil longer cause im still getting used to it. i love the pads and multi levels, but i chop shit in my s950 with ease. the only drawback is 12bit sound and limited sample time. basically, if i use my mpc for samples i sequence them in logic.

overall, the mpc is def a studio essential, i'm just good using logic.

well when ya ready to sell it for that price my address is 9864 ,,,,,,,lol,,, naw man, like everything else,,practice makes perfect kid. Just keep on man

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I like logic its hot but from what understand its not supported on PC anymore though, but yeah that program has one of the THE best samplers too, Classic is right on that, I had an s950 setup at one point too.....
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793&highlight=logic+king
but my main thing I learned that until I got into really using Reason and Fruity loops, there were a lot reasons I wanted different gear....one reason was efficiency....having all of your samples quickly accessible.....being able to save without tracking your beat immediately and then like you said 30, not having to save each sound to each channel using more than one external module....... It was good see programs like reason if you want to work fast, now I mean work fast as in the overhead in loading and naming and things that just get in the way of creating......with that I dont know if its true or not but someone that is just using software or reason (all in one studio) having a gear setup might turn them off because there are so many other steps involved in creating that just do not come up working with a program though...and thats my own experience....but it definitely made me feel like I was not getting the most from my gear setup once I saw how quick you can work with a program.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
you should check out the mpc in midi thru mode ( http://www.mpc2000xl.com/mpc_computer.htm ).

Second, you dont need to remember the channel assignments by making a template for logic after you done setting up according to the link above. Once you made the channel assignment in logic you create a template empty song but with the same channel assignments as you made them in logic. Screw the mpc2k sampler, you got a mac, thing you need is a motu lol! As an alternative you could throw in a good rack sampler hooked to a pc with legacy editor/lirbrarion software or hook up recycle and it's as convenient as it gets. I agree that reason or fl make it easier, but mostly not better when talking of result ( quality ).

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
word the number one thing i dont like about the mpc is the slowness in chopping samples .. i could chop 10 samples in recycle for evrey 1 in the mp... if the mp had a more effiencent/visual chopping system i think it would be the complete sampler/sequencer it should be..... what they should do (akai take notes) is include a software slicer/editor/whatver as part of the ak sys. funtion. You can already edit, load, and configure programs via ak sys, so why cant you chop samples??? if they added that feature it would increase the functionality of the mp line to godlike status.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Ash Holmz said:
what they should do (akai take notes) is include a software slicer/editor/whatver as part of the ak sys. funtion. You can already edit, load, and configure programs via ak sys, so why cant you chop samples??? if they added that feature it would increase the functionality of the mp line to godlike status.

your bang on with that one im pretty shit hot chopping up samples in cool edit and then i go on the MPC and that same shite takes me days !

Ca$h Pacasso

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I agree with Holmz also choppin with a MP is much slower..Adobe Audition to me is the best way to chop samples...easy to learn a as effective as any other sample chopping program out there. Not to mention the shit you can do before you even load ya samples into whatever program or sequencers your using...just my opinion though.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Its all a matter of prefernce, i find looping on a computer easier , but chopping samples on an MPC is much more faster and effective IMO

I just zone the sample and chop it, i and adjust the size of the chop and the number of chops. ALso when i zone it it automaticcly creates a program with all my chops and i can play the sample on the pads' this allows for alot of creativity when rearragning loops

Class..

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Ca$h Pacasso said:
I agree with Holmz also choppin with a MP is much slower..Adobe Audition to me is the best way to chop samples...easy to learn a as effective as any other sample chopping program out there. Not to mention the shit you can do before you even load ya samples into whatever program or sequencers your using...just my opinion though.

yea i use cool edit/adobe audition , well i did i got pro tools now and the audio editing on that is so fuckin quick to use its crazy, timestretching etc is so easy to do !

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
As far as naming all the programs and seq. The same(you'll just have to live with that) but as far as the keyboards you use, all you need to read up more about is the term" bulk dump". I don't use the mpc anymore I now use a mv but I did a search on the mpc form and found about this and transfer the info I learn over to my mv. In a nut shell once I make my beat with all or one of my synths I just goto a blank seq and do a midi bulk dump of all instruments I may have used for that track and when ever I come back to the beat I hit play and it loads up every instrument I used on that synth as if my mv( or mpc in your case) was never cut off. Remember that people who use racks have no other way other than midi dump to save there instrument use settings. So there something to help ya out.

members online