Will this book help me make professional beats?

bobobeatz

I've been making beats for 3 or 4 years now but I've been intermittent that's why I havet improved that much I know a bit of music theory like scales and chords I stopped producing for over a year so Im at low intermediate level now 2 or three moths ago I started piano for dummies and i'm half way through now but I find it boring and got another book called music theory for computer musicians and I was wondering if this book will me make professional beats just like top producers out there, do I really need the piano skills for making beats ? have you tried music theory for computer musicians? how was your experience with the book? will only practice and music theory make really good at beatmaking?

any advice will be highly appreciated im not too to worry about mixing since I just want to improve my beatmaking skills first.

thank you in advance

salute from Dominican Republic

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 151
Hmmm don't hmmm.. I understand you want to learn maybe from reading books.. But music theory a book is usefull. But to really understand creating music with a music programm i would say go start making some music along the way questions may fill up your mind. If those questions need answer you check google type in your question for which daw and than just try to find a answer. A book wil teach you allot of things that maybe handy but doing it will definetly benefit allot more..

You don't need any skills to make music what i do think people need for music to be made is a good rythm and they can hear good tones from bad ones. If you have those ears than can hear good tones and false ones and you have a good rythm than there you go get going open up the program. Just select a piano or whatever sound you want to use. Make some Midi notes repeat that start adjusting the sound if you want to have it a bit different. Select some snare sounds and kick sounds some hat sounds and let your rythm take controll. Start easy dont overdo it and make sure to take a break from time to time anda don't listen to the music you made too loud your ears will adjust to the sound when you listen to it too loud! The best pieces what i had when i begun making beats are those tunes where music actually suprises you. Like you are just fucking around and bam something sounds very very good... That feelin will take you further with the beat.

bobobeatz

Thank you for your advice man I currently use fl studio and I have a pretty good knowledge of it its just that my beats sound a little basic and I want to level up my skills on beatmaking.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Whatever you do get a partner for mixing e.g. don't learn to DIY

Learning how to play real instrument will definitely help you because when you will be programming your VSTs, they're gonna sound more natural. I'd say more human. Music theory will help you systematize the knowledge and it will be a useful tool for you. Joe Satriani once said that music theory is like a ruler. If you want to draw the line that is 2 cm long you can do it. If you want to draw the line that is 10 cm long you can also do it. That's what music theory is. It will help you create borders and points where you can go with melodies and chord progressions and it will help you better understand the music you listen to. It's like a bunch of ready to use tips.

I haven't read the book you wrote about in your post but I can recommend you a very good website about music theory. It's www.musictheory.net. You can find there lessons and exercises that you can use in order to expand your knowledge about music theory and train your ear which is a crucial skill in making music.

But for making beats/producing music the best option is to actually make music and listen to as many genres as possible. Never enclose your mind within one genre because it's very limiting. You don't have to love each genre but you should be able to take the best features out of each of them and then apply them to your own music. Someone great said that good artists create, great artists steal. So steal everything you like and try to copy your favourite artists and eventually it will help you develop your own style.

I hope my response is helpful.

Peace! :D

bobobeatz

Learning how to play real instrument will definitely help you because when you will be programming your VSTs, they're gonna sound more natural. I'd say more human. Music theory will help you systematize the knowledge and it will be a useful tool for you. Joe Satriani once said that music theory is like a ruler. If you want to draw the line that is 2 cm long you can do it. If you want to draw the line that is 10 cm long you can also do it. That's what music theory is. It will help you create borders and points where you can go with melodies and chord progressions and it will help you better understand the music you listen to. It's like a bunch of ready to use tips.

I haven't read the book you wrote about in your post but I can recommend you a very good website about music theory. It's www.musictheory.net. You can find there lessons and exercises that you can use in order to expand your knowledge about music theory and train your ear which is a crucial skill in making music.

But for making beats/producing music the best option is to actually make music and listen to as many genres as possible. Never enclose your mind within one genre because it's very limiting. You don't have to love each genre but you should be able to take the best features out of each of them and then apply them to your own music. Someone great said that good artists create, great artists steal. So steal everything you like and try to copy your favourite artists and eventually it will help you develop your own style.

I hope my response is helpful.

Peace! :D
Your response was very helpful and I appreciate it, I will focus more on music theory and maybe get some piano classes from a teacher its hard to learn it your self with only a book.

members online