Windows runs better on an Apple computer? wtf?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
"in fact they boot it slower due to their eep flashrom instead of a bios."

Dude you are talking about milliseconds there.

"any of the g5 systems are bullshit"

my dual 2.5ghz G5 rocks all day long. I do visual effects and high end graphic work on it.

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
hmm food for thought, i wanna run xp on my intel mac so i can start using fruityloops again (i miss you fruityloops it has been another fucking learning curve with logic) cos the ladies laptop doesn't cut it anymore!

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"any of the g5 systems are bullshit" = you could get the same 64 bit operating system performance (the area where a g5 shines) out of an AMD proc priced at less than a quarter of the g5 price tag.
g5's are power hungry processors that could heat a shack in the dead of alaskan winter.. plus a g5 wont run windows natively with its powerpc archtitecture! (you could however run windows in a virtual machine.. not that that does a producer any good :p)

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i think it's more of "Vista" runs better on a mac. at least that's what i've been hearing and reading. haven't tried it out though. i do have xp installed on all of my macs through parallels, but i don't even use it. the only time i use windows these days is when i'm at work. i haven't really heard anything about how much better or worse xp is on a mac.

Z

zephyrosthegod

For the money a mac would run you, you could build your own pc just as good for a lot less.

I hate to say Mac's commercials are better than PC's. Vista sucks for people who still have 256 mb ram and pentium 3 and 10 year old Brother MFC 8500 printers.

Macs are apart of an elitist movement to 1 world government anyway...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
ehr...mac stepped into the consumer market a few years back, though its not the best product of mac they did manufacture something less "prosumer". For what ive seen, an equivalent of performance on a laptop is mostly more expensive than the cheapest macbook, though the macbook just runns better due to OSX.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"For the money a mac would run you, you could build your own pc just as good for a lot less. "

Yes but I like my music computers to be predictable, reliable and virus free. In other word I am music professional and I dont have time for my computer to be down. So even if it cost a few hundred extra thats ok with me. Oh and Logic rocks!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
what do you do when you're recording an artist on your pc and your pc crashes, hangs...exactly, explain the artist that he has do records his shit again...except in commercial studios, the artist is paying by the hour so he wouldnt be to pleased...you wont have this shit with a mac running osx. I did have my first bsod via bootcamp for the first time but ive never had my macbook pro freeze. I've tried to setup a mobile recording setup with 3 motu 8 pres and the mac ran beautiful but the motu's failed on me, nothing fails on the mac!

T

The Arkitekt

Yo DP, I noticed you use PT and Logic... what do you use each for specificly?

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
lulz, why is this back? why do you mac fanatics keep crafting scenarios where the pc crashes damn near all the time, lulz?

i have had logic crash during a session, a couple to be exact, some due to logic other due to some weird mac behaviour. never mind logics lack of real and consistent adc/pdc (that's another topic). for the amount of mastering houses (the majority) that run pc's, the way some of you talk, i'm surprised anything gets mastered, let alone on time.

lates, (unsubscribing)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^ what were or are you using, what mac, what interface, which logic version ?

Here's an issue we ran into after some days of testing the Motu 8pre's, we had to stress the system which gave us a good insight of logic 7 and 8's potentials. We were able to record 48chnls on a macbook incl a FW drive but USB drive didnt have issues either ? Using the macbook pro meant we didnt have to use the ext FW drive but could record/stream to disk rightaway which clearly proves that the pro has better controllers. This setup unfortunately didnt work well in the end as we still had drop out during the recording eventually, but luckily not during the recording of our customer. In addition, these are the cheapest pre amped converters you can find and they sound very well, i can really recommend them for those needing 8 pre amps on firewire as i noticed never to have problem when daisychaining 2 units for 16mic pre/line and 2x adat io. Our solution now is with either RME or Apogee ensemble, a bit more expensive unfortunately but still very portable. Anyway, maybe to throw the report i sent to MOTU regards the issue we had.

System information
OS
Mac OS 10.5
OS version
CPU
intel core duo santa rosa
RAM
4Gb
Additional information
Troubleshooting

* no succes thusfar

Steps to reproduce

1. Please read the discription of the issue which contain all info

Details

We've had no issues in creating an aggregated with 2 8pre, configuration has gone very smooth and have done intensive stressing on our setup to lure any issues before going to our customers. In our first attempt with a macbook(2,1) and 2 8pre's we noticed that we had problems due to the use of the interal HD of the macbook which was immediatly solved after adding a Lacie D2 in the firewire chain(using it instead of the internal HD). With the set aggregated device and the added Lacie drive weve been able to record up to 32 devices with no occurances of sudden "click" noises or total dropouts of signals fed to the 8pre's and completly sample accurate. Of course both units have had the firmware upgrade.

Todat we purchased yet another 8pre but a different model than the previous 2, the motu logo is lacking from the rack ears, the 96khz indication in blue is gone and the mix out ports are also a different kind. I first updated the firmware and then we set up a new aggregated device by removing the previous and added a new aggregated device containing both 3 8pre's and again started stressing the setup.

We noticed sudden drop outs on all channels on the new unit (did not record for a duration of about 1 second) but not on the older model 8pre's.

We also noticed that the new unit went out of sync after about 3 minutes and the older model 8pre's remained in sync.

We then tested the same setup in logic 8.02 instead of logic 7.2.3 but same occurances took place on the macbook(2,1).
We replicated the issue aswell on a macbook pro (late 2007), again in both versions of logic.
We then continued replicating the issue on the macbook pro running logic 8.02 but with a newly created aggregated device using 1 older model 8pre and the new unit. We did not manage to get a dropout replicated but it did wennt out of sync after recording for a few minutes. We then connected both old model 8pre's to the macbook pro running logic 8.02 and again found no issues whatsoever.

We're a bit startled as from this moment were a day away from 2 jobs where we need this to work so i have questions of course.

1. Does the new 8pre have issues or has hardware differences apart from using different
jackplugs and rackears, is there a different firewire controller used and/or a different
clock. I address these two components due to the nature of our issue, assuming that
these ARE different than this fact would imply that we need the old model 8pre instead as
our 3rd device.

2. As you setup a new aggregated device, is it bare essence to set the devices in consecutive
order (8pre#1 first in the row devices, then 8pre#2 & 8pre#3). If so then what is the
theory behind it ( please dont refer to applecare enterprises for this, im an applecare
Tier2, they will not have the answer).

3. How do i define how OSX recognizes the 8pres upon connecting or daisychaining the
firewire ports. For example, it seems that the unit with the oldest serial number always
is going to be 8pre#1.

4. In conjuction of questions 2 and 3; How does the way of defining 8pre#1 relate to the order of 8pre devices set in the aggregated device. I have the feeling that the definition process of which is 8pre#1 and the way you setup the aggregated device influence one and another which becomes very confusing but perhaps there is logical reasoning behind which has gotten lost on me.

Responses
Edit
Added by Jeroen on 2008/11/25 18:27:30 US/Central
Today we aquired a 4th 8pre to replace the "newer" model 8 pre. Updated the firmware first then setup a firewire chain corresponding to how osx defined which 8pre is #1, #2 and #3.
So we plugged the firewire cables as : MAC to fw in #1, fw out#1 to fw in #2 - fw out#2 to fw in #3 - fw out#3 to fw HD .

In the "motu audio setup" we set the following clocksources:

#1 clock to :Internal
#2 clock to #1
#3 clock to #1

adat i/o 's disabled, all same sample rate ofcourcse.

Then created a new aggregated device in consecutive order and making #1 clock , then renamed the aggregated device.

We're testing again with the Macbook(2,1) and a Lacie D2 connected to the Firewire out on 8pre #3 (last in chain). We're going to feed 24 line signals simultanious to stress the setup , recording them into Logic 7.2.3.

After stressing the system for 3 hours we concluded that the revised 8pre (newer model) really was the bottleneck and is going to be returned to the dealer. No dropouts, clicks or sync issues on all recordings. The issue is not resolved, the new 8pre's clearly have issues.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"Yo DP, I noticed you use PT and Logic... what do you use each for specificly?"

I still do lots of freelance studio work, if I am recording a rock band I still use PT alot. The workflow is just great for that type of work. I do find myself moving more to logic for that kind of work however. I use logic/reason more of creative tools. I love composing in Logic and any video work I do I use logic. Right tool for the job really, there is no one size fits all.

"for the amount of mastering houses (the majority) that run pc's, the way some of you talk, i'm surprised anything gets mastered, let alone on time."

ha ha, many mastering houses still use Sonic solutions, mac only. But many are moving to Sequoia and that is windows only, and it is amazing. I wish they had a mac version.

members online