working in 2 different keys at the same exact time

• beat this! voting starts in...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i've recently realized that almost everything i've been creating lately has been in two different keys at the same time

this hasn't been intentional...i've been creating guitar parts in the piano roll in FL and never noticed that it tells you what key you are working in when you hold the cursor over one of the notes.

i realized that when i was looking at seperate guitar parts...the bass was usually playing in the same key as the rhythm guitar

i'm not totally clueless(almost maybe) on music theory

anyone know any examples of this or know whether this is a bad idea or maybe something completely different that i am unaware of?

this is what i am talking about:

Rite of Passage is in C Minor & G Major

That is Where You Were is in F Minor & C Major

Pipe Dream is in A & D Major

http://www.myspace.com/perpetualpotion

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
errr am not a Guru on music theory, but its possible to have something in for example Cmajor as well as Aminor which is its relative minor key. i.e you play a chord progression in C-major but use the A natural minor scale for a melody or something.

as for playing in two keys like CM and Gm, I am not sure about that, maybe fruity loops is reading it wrong? I dont know how FL works, but in Logic, it can tell you what chords you are playing, and if you hold the mouse over a key on the piano roll, it just tells you the name of that particular note, not the key (scale) you are in.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
you play a chord progression in C-major but use the A natural minor scale for a melody or something.

That makes sense.

circle-of-fifths.gif

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
The only thing you should be concerned about is whether it sounds any good or not. Music theory is only a guide not a rule book. Nobody said you have to even stay in key at all. IMO it's a real mistake to think staying in key is important. Often it's dissonance that stands out and captures the listener's ear not harmony. Use your ear and don't worry about whether you should do something or not.