working with rex loops in fl

jstoddart

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
im working with a REX rhodes piano loop in fl but when i import it into slicex/fruity slicer it looses its "smoothness" as it moves from one marker to the next ... hope i am making sense .. how can i get it to play back smoothly??

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
im working with a REX rhodes piano loop in fl but when i import it into slicex/fruity slicer it looses its "smoothness" as it moves from one marker to the next ... hope i am making sense .. how can i get it to play back smoothly??

It sounds like a buffer issue to me. try this...get a pen and paper. In FL click OPTIONS (top left of your mixer), click AUDIO SETTINGS, look under DirectSound properties and write down the number beside buffer length and keep it handy just incase you need to put it back. Now move the slide to the left making the number smaller, (mine is set at 1792 samples (41ms)). It may help if you play your piano sample in slicex when you are making the change, you should hear it either get smooth or get worse, adjust accordingly. If that doesnt do it, put the number that you wrote down back in and you'll be back a square one. Let me know what you get.

jstoddart

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
no its not clicking or anything .. let me try n explain again .. the rex file is loaded in slicex/slicer and the markers appear, u open piano roll and the slices are there with notes drawn accordingly .. now the transition from on note to the next creats an abrupt end to the previous slice and an abrupt start to the next .. it looses the smoothness of the rhodes loop ... so instead of whoooooouuuuuoooouuuoooooom its like whoooooo-uuuuu-oooooooo-m ... hope this makes sense now lol!!!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I dont have a REX loop but I have a Rhodes loop and I tried it in mine and it was smooth, it didnt change the sample at all, even with all the markers....nothing changed. If yours is changing it shouldnt matter what the sample is, something is going on that shouldnt be. Try another sample and see what happens.

No i didnt open the piano roll, let me try that first

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
hahaha I see what happens, yes its just gonna do that, there is no way around it when you do it that particular way. Its automatically separating the slices. Im not sure why you would use it in that manner but you have to have your slices the way you want them before using the sample in the piano roll.

Every chop you make removes a piece of the sample which is gonna cause a space, you can blend or put the chops back together but it will never be seemless because some of the sample is gone...

What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe there is a better way of doing it.

jstoddart

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
just wanna throw it into my project but sounding smooth .. does dr rex have the same problem?? let me try rewire ....

jstoddart

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dec do u think removing the markers might help??

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Just put your Rex in the step sequencer then right click on the Rex tab and choose piano roll.

if youre not sure how to get it from an outside source into FL let me know and I will give you the instructions.

or better yet...open edison and drag your Rex file into it then use the drag function from edison to put it in your step sequencer, then right click on the tab and choose piano roll...that should do it for you.

members online