would it be correct to say that Old Soul music is that most sampled genre?

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
would it be correct to say that Old Soul music is that most sampled genre for hip-hop production?

if so, do you think this is because the hip-hop producers doing the sampling grew up listening to Old Soul music or for another reason?

holla!

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I dunno maybe?....I hear a lot of 70's rock shit too tho, as well as disco era stuff, shit also classical....lots a classical.

As far as why?....I say YES. They grew up on that shit, but also, more importantly - the sample fit the mood, the song structure, etc.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
James Brown, George Clinton, Roger, Ohio Players,Bootsy Collins, Parliament Funkadelics, Bob James, Chic; for awhile these cats, among others of course, were all that you heard. That old school funk is tha' bomb!
ONE

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think it used to be jazz/ blues type stuff... but with Kanye hitting the scene funk and soul has made acoming back... haven't you heard, the 70's are makin a come back (Joke for the 80's babies that remember an old commercial)

S

sezwho ?

i think jazz. i sample jazz the most. soul and funk are more recognizable so maybe the most cleared samples are old soul samples but the most sampled i would think jazz

M

mikemusic

I think Old School R&B is used most and for one reason: Familiarity. The song was already hot back in the days and it just makes it that much easier to accept it as a hot beat.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Good point.
I think funk and soul have both been sampled the most [probably in equal parts], then jazz. I think funk and soul were definately sampled before jazz, because if you htink about it A Tribe Called Quest's 'Low End Theory' was the first HipHop LP to be completly made up of jazz samples, before that the majority of sound were from soul or funk.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Soul is sampled alot..but classical is gettin sampled alot now..nuttin sounds better than hard drums wit a good classical rhythm

P

Pinnacle

I can't talk about anyone else, but I grew up listening to soul, jazz, blues, reggae and a few more. My Production refects my journey in music. I believe that soul music back in the early 70's and even some late 60's was some of the best musical creations ever made. The artist in those dayz used to sing their ass off and the live instrument performaces are the best. Thats why I love soul.