WTH? Is Jay-Z's pockets getting light or what?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
This makes absolutely NO SENSE to me...

Jay-Z and Juan Perez, co-owners of 40/40 Clubs in New York City, Atlantic City and Las Vegas, have sued Boston Red Sox baseball player
David Ortiz for opening a similarly-named establishment.

According to Reuters, Ortiz chose to name his establishment, located in the Dominican Republic, Forty/Forty - in addition to using a website called fortyforty.net.

The lawsuit, which was filed Thursday (April 15), claims that Ortiz' nightclub has cause the 40/40 sports bars "marketplace confusion and damage."

"David Ortiz is fully aware of plaintiff's Manhattan 40/40 Club, since he had been a patron there on several occasions long before he opened his infringing Forty/Forty Club," read the lawsuit.

Unless there's something else going on, this makes no sense on Jay-Z's behalf imo.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Why doesn't this make sense? You open a club Dacalion and its all the rage and someone else famouse takes the same name pretty much and opens it up in another
country but is benefiting off the name cause there the same or similar... Come
on - At the end of the day its business.

1. Brah, you have to think like you're worth 150 million dollars without wifeys bankroll. If your wifeys name is Beyonce, thats even more cake on the plate, in the tune of another 87 million. Thats a total of 237 million dollars.

2. Jay-Z is accusing him of “marketplace confusion” by using a similar name, not copyright infringement which means he (Jay-Z) even acknowledges that the names are not the same...lol. On top of that...the business is in another country which means unless Jay-Z has a club over in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, it's not in the same marketplace.

I could keep going with this but you should get the idea... sueing someone = feeling threatened by them, do you really think Jay-Z is REALLY feeling threatened by David Ortiz? There is more to this than we know.

static

static yessir
ill o.g.
shit if people think they are the same club and go to the ortiz guys instead of jay then i would of sued to. think about how much a door charge is then the bar makes alone without all the extra stuff?

on a years span how much money would that be?
on top of all that even though he has money he is only rich, so why not get more until your wealthy?

just my opinion.

jayz did say he was a hustler...he could be puttin that 237 millie in drugs n just go back to his old ways but instead takes the legal route

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
LMAO Static have you been drinking again?

Nah but seriously, how do you mistakenly say "lets go to Jay-Z's club over in the Dominican Republic"?

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
From what I have heard, Jay-z's club wasn't doing that great to begin with.

Also, all the business heads I know here in Nashville operate a certain when it comes to profits and losses. Even though you might be making crazy money on the left side of things, you will still stop any financial bleeding on the right side.

It seems kinda greedy but at the same time, it is why all those people are so damn rich. They do not tolerate loss.

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
I think it's justified. I know he's rich, but that doesn't mean that other people can steal you're shit. If you made a new device that plays mp3, and called it the iPid, you'd have Apple all over your ass. Despite the fact that these clubs operate in different markets, the name is likely trademarked.

H

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Makes sense to me...and you're right, thats how they make money. To me its plain and simple logic but theres still one thing wrong with the Jay-Z/D.Ortiz issue, how do you end up putting money in DO's pocket thinking you were putting it in JZ's pocket?

1. The only person that could possibly make this mistake would be a millionaire. If you live in New York, you know 40/40 is JayZ's. If you live in the D.R. you know Forty/Forty is DO's.

2. If you worked for a millionaire and he told you to take him to JZ's club while he took a knap, and you ended up in the Dom. Rep. Im willing to bet you will be unemployed before you get back to the states...lol.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
any good business man would do the same. Its about protecting your brand. There has been much larger entities than Jay-z suing for less obvious name uses. Suppose a gunfight breaks out at forty/forty and the news reports it. Its pretty obvious that a casual listener will link forty/forty to Jay-z and it would be damaging to the credibility of his business. Jay-z shouldnt be the one under the scope here. Why in the hell would Ortiz name his club forty when he knows damn well there is a 40/40? Thats like me opening a department store and calling it Wall-Mart instead of Wal-Mart.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
any good business man would do the same. Its about protecting your brand. There has been much larger entities than Jay-z suing for less obvious name uses. Suppose a gunfight breaks out at forty/forty and the news reports it. Its pretty obvious that a casual listener will link forty/forty to Jay-z and it would be damaging to the credibility of his business. Jay-z shouldnt be the one under the scope here. Why in the hell would Ortiz name his club forty when he knows damn well there is a 40/40? Thats like me opening a department store and calling it Wall-Mart instead of Wal-Mart.

Exactly....SUE THE DUMB ASS...HE PLAYS FOR THE RED SOX, ANYWAY!!!

Ortiz should be sued on the basis of idiocy alone..

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
LMFAO

damn bro...im known for bein drunk THAT bad?

:(

Nahhh, I was just kidding, I just remembered you got crazy drunk for your B-day and vowed NOT to do it again...

@ everybody else Im still waiting for one of you to change my opinion...lol

peace

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Just because Jays name is mentioned doesnt mean he actually filed the law suit, or even the one the called for it. He's a partner, his name could just be getting thrown in.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I agree with DOX that his name was probally thrown in because of the publicity and DOX touched on how I really feel about this whole deal...we don't actually know what JayZ's or his peoples motives are for sueing D.O. I still disagree with the "protecting his brand name" opinions based on the likelihood of someone confusing the two...thats just ridiculous, but thats what this is all about...opinions. People can put all their own logic in the world on something, make it sound good, make themselves sound good and still have absolutely no clue (just like myself) to the real motives. We're only responding on what we're told and our perception of what happened. The interesting thing will be the results of the trial. How will the judge see it? I bet J and his people gets nada on this one but we'll see.

static

static yessir
ill o.g.
Nahhh, I was just kidding, I just remembered you got crazy drunk for your B-day and vowed NOT to do it again...

@ everybody else Im still waiting for one of you to change my opinion...lol

peace

i vowed never to mix e&j,everclear, mckormicks, 3 lortabs, a few bowls of black magic, j-dub, and codine lol....the alc can stay the rest is the devil

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
i vowed never to mix e&j,everclear, mckormicks, 3 lortabs, a few bowls of black magic, j-dub, and codine lol....the alc can stay the rest is the devil

yeah mixing that ish is not safe...the last two times I mixed those together I was in hiroshima and nagasaki, the outcome wasn't good, everybody blamed the US of dropping a bomb but thats NOT the truth!

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
it makes perfect sense that they would pursue this. this is standard business practices and brand protection. jay and his partners are doing the smart thing.

Co-sign. i think its more about business practice than it is about money issues. you cant take another companies name and make it your own just by spelling it differently.