wuss good wit dis

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i hope god or someone can help me on this... i been talkin to this cat for like a year now.. he used to make tracks for big names (namely pac and nas) .. part of this group called livesquad back in the day they did some shit wit pac on the stricly 4 my niggaz joint..his producer credits run long ...... he heard my shit over the net somehow like a year ago called me out the blue and ever since we been cool .... problem is he talks alot more than he delivers... he always talkin like he gonna shop my trax and blah blah.. anyways i gave him a few discs and shit and he always talks like he plays my trax for industry headz and they get love and shit.. but i have never once sold a beat thru him... not once .. i know that sometimes shit takes time or whatver but in my last dealing wit him.. he told me he played trax for some management company.. and they wanted some of the trax but wanted them without the vocal tag on them cuz they said it will throw off their artists... now im kinda suspicious.. I consider this dude a friend of mine and i know he has great leverage w/ labels and industry heads because of his track record... but damn been like a year and half w/ no and now all of a sudden he wants a tag free disc? no one i ever delt wit ever asked me for a tag free disc... esp when they were just listening and selecting trax ... fuc if they want the shit they still gonna want it with a tag right?... a lil strange .. he told me as long as its copywritten its all good and labels dont jack beats like they used to because the copywright laws are more stricly enforced or some shit like he said... i really want to do business wit dis dude and i like and respect this cat even met him in person although he lives in chicago.... but im just weary givin away discs like that .. usually the only time i play tag free beats in front of people i dont know is when im in the session myself right there playin the trax.. advice anyone?

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
i dont know holmz, u really need to to be the judge on that one casue u know the cat best. To me that sounds fishy as hell. It just dont make sense, the tagged beats should be could enough for an artist to make a test run of the song and decide if they want it or not. If they want untagged versions then they should be willing to cop the track

Ive heard your tagged beats before and the qualitiy is execllent, so i dont buy that at all

Just my humble opionion

class...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
ash..... i think you know the drill, bein so business minded.

tell him thanks but the tag stays- not out of distrust, but out of protecting your best interests.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I was in the presence of someone that gave out a CD on Sunday in NY and the cat my man gave the CD to was looking for joints for his artist who is pretty dope and the CD could be an instrumental (no tags and top quality mastering) that you could easily go do an album off of.....and the last words I heard from my podna that gave the CD out were I hope he doesnt F.... me as the dude left with the CD in hand..... but he told him before do not let any of these beats out LOL

Bottom Line this business is about trust and its about being fucked at the same time......you know this cat well enuff and been working with him then maybe you need to send the beats off at least and copyright them then let them have it.........I have given out a ton of my joints the last few months with no tags LOL .....oh well.....what can I say......I like to gamble...but you gotta go with what you feel...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'd be extra careful, it sounds too suspicious. It could be he wants to not necessarily jack the whole song, but maybe he's looking to jack just a certain part.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
I was in the presence of someone that gave out a CD on Sunday in NY and the cat my man gave the CD to was looking for joints for his artist who is pretty dope and the CD could be an instrumental (no tags and top quality mastering) that you could easily go do an album off of.....and the last words I heard from my podna that gave the CD out were I hope he doesnt F.... me as the dude left with the CD in hand..... but he told him before do not let any of these beats out LOL

Bottom Line this business is about trust and its about being fucked at the same time......you know this cat well enuff and been working with him then maybe you need to send the beats off at least and copyright them then let them have it.........I have given out a ton of my joints the last few months with no tags LOL .....oh well.....what can I say......I like to gamble...but you gotta go with what you feel...

Word, n makin' new joints every day so what does it matter...promotion nomally costs hella money, this is cheap AND effective....

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
I wouldnt trust the guy to be honest, tell him you leave the tags on. If he remarks that you dont trust him, tell him that you trust him but not the people you dont know. Or get to go with him and have a listening session with these big industry heads.
Could be he doesnt got it anymore and is looking for new inspiration through your shit and will somehow jack it.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
its one of those sticky situations... basically im gonna keep hittin em off like i have been with the tags... my tag isnt annoying or anything and all the emcees i work with can write to my trax with the tag.. they even tell me to keep that shit in there in certain parts of the song!

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Honestly, if you're tryin to get on--you're not in the position to be picky,choosy.

If he's been shopping your tracks for a year and a half and you're not getting any
meetings or being asked (from his connections)to come to any studios (and you live in New York??!!) then I would question his "track shopping" methods.
I would still keep hittin him with tracks though, give him some with the tags
and some without, ask him this specific question :
"The tag is gonna stay, because it's part of my signature sound, but how would you want me to change it so that your artists feel comfortable working with my tracks??"

There will be times where you'll have to give away tracks (this is one of those times)
in order to get your foot in the door. So I'm tellin you, do not be surprised if you send
him naked tracks (no tags) and all of sudden he gets your beats placed and he's getting the credit, it happens ALL THE TIME.

It sounds like he's setting you up for a work-for-hire type of deal, but take a chance and see, you can always make more beats homie!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
shadeed said:
It sounds like he's setting you up for a work-for-hire type of deal, but take a chance and see, you can always make more beats homie!

That's sort of how I see it.....even panned whispering in the background works too....there are plenty of sublinal tagging methods you can use.....try putting a vocal whisper etc layered with the kick .....mpc is great to layer stuff with a kick or snare...somthing that is subliminal to be taken out.......now if you got a melody thats very hard to mask even with a tag......so man there is never a foolproof way to protect yourself.....you just at the mercy of trust, chance and gambling......but to be in the game you have to play so just cover as many bases and put yourself out there......

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
fuck him.....You can make the same moves wthout him...it's all about your grind.....I'll help you become a selfstarter I'll give you some real useful info....Since I started this new job I have it's been hard for me to make moves but I'll pass a ll info to you

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I don't know man, me personally, I'm with Big D, I like to gamble.. I'll take the chance, even if someone jacks the beat, I would be happy to be like, "Yo, I made that right there!" Although, at the same time I feel where everyone else is coming from, and you do got to be careful about who you trust. But me, I'd do it bro... I crank out beats daily ( I imagine you ain't too much different holmes) so I'd do it.. Shit happens, cat's jack beats, but at the same time you got to look at it like this, copyright your stuff and keep your skeletons, save your multi-tracks... This way atleast when you tell somebody, "Yo, I made that right there!" you got proof.. Then again, that's just me.. I know alot of cat's won't approve of it but fuck it... Do you homie, if you feel uneasy about it, Don't do it, but, Maybe shoot him a disc with some tagged joints and a couple untagged, ya know!?

T

Taikun

Ash Holmz said:
its one of those sticky situations... basically im gonna keep hittin em off like i have been with the tags... my tag isnt annoying or anything and all the emcees i work with can write to my trax with the tag.. they even tell me to keep that shit in there in certain parts of the song!
now thats gangsta...when I met with Warner Music...they told me...they prefer...tagless tracks...so that if someone wanted to flow on them...they could...but if you are someone still can flow on them...then thats good...

dude you working with sounds shady...especially after waiting to request tagless tracks...i feel he is trying to pass these tracks as his....so watch out!

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
yo i would just give him the beats without the tags, cus the only way you gon find out if homedude is shady is by taking the risk, its called paying dues. And even if dude does some shady shit, Id be happy that mudafuckas is going out of there way to use my musik, that just means you got a product that people want. But still copyright your shit, cus if the dude is shady its gon make it harder for them to use your track, and if he still does , your in da money BABY!

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
ID def sounds suspicious man ..but at the same time it sounds like the dude sooped ur head up wit shyt how the label once this beat or that beat but they want the vocal tags removed..more than year later no word on nuttin..sound like b/s to me at least some of what hes saying

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
thnks for the replies everybody .. i gave him some new beats with most of them untagged but a stil a few that are tagged... bottom line im tryin to get this paper and get in every avenue i can ... if it means ghostproducin or whatever for awhile im dowm... i need paper like i need oxygen right now so im not in the mood for turnin down shit.. plus my shit is no doubt copywrighted and i got a GREAT lawyer haha